IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Windows Defrag vs Smart Defrag

hi everybody

solbjerg i had launched checkdisk/f a week ago so the reason for recovering free space is not this

what i believe is that smartdefrag uses methods for compact packing of files in deep optimization and the microsoft OS at first boot relaxes selective important system files for some reason

cheers

hi everybody

solbjerg i had launched checkdisk/f a week ago so the reason for recovering free space is not this

what i believe is that smartdefrag uses methods for compact packing of files in deep optimization and the microsoft OS at first boot relaxes selective important system files for some reason

cheers

Did you check if the MFT enlargement space is changed? It may have been decreased.

NOTE: chkdsk /f does not check the empty space, but chkdsk /r does.

Cheers.

Hi enoscype

do u mean that deep optimise defrag MFT and PageFile ?

as i know MicroSoft suggests this defragmentation to be done during booting otherwise is not safe on-line.

even though it sounds strange the recovering of 1.9 Gb given that i am below than a medium user.

And what about the decrease of 0.7 Gb immediatety after the first loggin when the system worked extensively on hard-disk producing a hissing noise.

cheers

Hi demitris

I meant chkdsk /r - and I meant to run it just prior to the defragmentation with as little as possible running automatically in the background in order to achieve the best possible defragmentation.

Τίεκολον; Τὸἄλλῳὑποτίθεσθαι. (What is easy? To advise others.)

Thales must have been a bit pissed off at smart-alecks when he said that, because in reality it is even harder to give good advice to others - it requires vast knowledge - and even that you know yourself.

Τίδύσκολον; Τὸἐαυτνγνναι. (What is hard? To know yourself.)

And this he correctly states is very hard :-)

This would seem to exclude me from giving advice :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

hi everybody

cheers

hi enoskype

ok u mean MFT zone

I thought this was considered free space although was reserved as 12.5% by default

but can you guide me where to check its size through windows since in smartdefrag i can't find any option (Smartdefrag 2.1)

how did u get those reports (images)?

cheers

Hi demitris,

A)

MFT Zone size is defined in the following Registry Entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem

Look for the Value Name NtfsMftZoneReservation. If not present and wyouwould like to change,

1. From the Edit menu, click Add Value.

2. Type the following information in the dialog box:

Value Name: NtfsMftZoneReservation

Data Type : REG_DWORD

Data : (valid range is 1-4) (1=>12.5%, 2=>25%, 3=>37.5%, 4=>50%)

3. Quit Registry Editor and restart your computer.

If there is no such entry, then it is default as 12.5% in XP.

B)

The images are for my XP Pro drive. The screenshots are taken just after the defragmentation. I belive there is information in that first post.

Please read much as you can in that thread to have a better idea of defragmentation and what different defragmentation programs do including Smart Defrag.

Please ask again clearly if you feel the answer is not fit for your question.

Cheers.

hi enoskype

My OS is Vista Home premium sp2

i got in registry editor and found the entry

Name NtfsMftZoneReservation

Type REG_DWORD

Data 0x00000000(0)

Using right click there was option modify binary data . i didn't use it of course and i entered whithout privelage.

does this mean i have no MTF zone ?

cheers

Archived