IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Windows Defrag vs Smart Defrag

The Windows default defragmentation tool is made by Perfect Disk and the version in Windows Vista is set to automatically defrag all disks on the computer without any option to do otherwise. What sent me looking for a better defrag program was that the Vista defrag program would redundantly defrag my WD My Book 1TB Drive with 100's of Gigabites worth of stored files on it with no option to skip it thus wasting hours upon hours of system resources.

After trying several of the top rated defragmentation and optimization shareware programs some of which cost as much as $50 the IObit Smart Defrag freeware program proved to be the only one that could actually improve disk performance as measured in HD Tune Pro benchtests.

The benchtest results below show a 4.6% increase in the average transfer rate of my main hard drive as well as an improvement in access time, burst rate and a 44% drop in CPU usage as compared with the same benchtests done prior to defrag and optimization using the truly amazing and highly effective IObit Smart Defrag...

HD Tune 2.55 Benchtest before...

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/CDrive12-6b.png

HD Tune Pro 3.5 Benchtest after Defragmentation and Optimization with IObit Smart Defrag...

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/AfterSD.jpg

~Maxx~

• 4 weeks later...

I have used Diskkeeper for many years. It has always been the most powerful defrag utility on the market. It still has some special tools that an IT admin would find useful in an enterprise environment but I have found that Smart Defrag does every bit as good a job on indiividual machines. Besides that SD is free!

• 2 weeks later...

The best way to find out beyond a shadow of a doubt that Smart Defrag is the best defragmentation/optimization program is to download 5 or 6 of the world's best programs and compare them. When I did this I found that the other defraggers were each gimmiky and didn't deliver an optimized HDD the way Smart Defrag can.

~Maxx~

hi guys

smart defrag seems to be better than windows defrag progran

i ran into IOBit searching for a better defrag actually

i use the program for a month now and i am afraid to use its Deep Optimize option

Can anyone assure me I can safely use it???

Windows Vista home premium sp2

160 Gb (93Gb free)

cheers

Hi demitris

I haven't seen any ill effects from using it by myself.

In my opinion it would also be strange, - after all it is a defrag program, - it doesn't delete anything.

επαρκής ? (sufficient measure? :-) )

Cheers

solbjerg

hi guys

smart defrag seems to be better than windows defrag progran

i ran into IOBit searching for a better defrag actually

i use the program for a month now and i am afraid to use its Deep Optimize option

Can anyone assure me I can safely use it???

Windows Vista home premium sp2

160 Gb (93Gb free)

cheers

demitris

By all means,use it.If you run the "fast optimize" first,then you can watch the process put the final touches on the file placement.I like wathching the files jump around,but hey,that's just me. http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Cool/cool06.gif

Ok demitris

Let us hear how you make out with the deep optimize :-)

By the way I don't really understand Greek, but I have very many dictionaries, - and I like to find out.

Unfortunately a full measure of knowledge is exceedingly hard to attain :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

hi everybody

thanks for the information

by the way Solbjerg i was surprised u understand Greek writing

Ναι, η εξήγηση ήταν επαρκής

yes, the exlanation was sufficient

cheers -γεια

I have Smart DeFrag running continuously and also Deep Optimize as part of my weekly Spring Clean & TuneUp:

ASC clean up, full Avast scan, SpyBot Search & Destroy plus check for updates to apps

I read a recommendation somewhere, maybe here, to:

Turn Off Hibernation

Do a Windows Defrag

Do a Deep Optimize

I tried this and it seemed the Windows Defrag did move some immovable files then the Deep Optimize stacked everything into nice neat rows.

Keeping in mind I don't understand this stuff much at all, I was wondering if anyone thinks this is acceptable, good, bad or un-necessary etc

I like watching the files jump around,but hey,that's just me.

And me, I spent a while giving Smart DeFrag a lovely color scheme so now it's Golden Dots zipping around, very nice :grin:

Thanks for these great softwares iObit, I sing your praises often. It's the least I can do http://www.freesmileys.org/emoticons/emoticon-anime-047.gif

All the best, woz of oz

Try adding delete your page file before defrag to the regiment.

Thanks, I shall look it up and try it :smile:

I don't know if my advice of reading Think about Defragmentation!!! thread will reach you to understand defrag more, but you have done allright.

I will read through it. This is my first computer ever (and I'm not young) so some things I find frightening and others I find fascinating.

Software that leaves me completely out of the picture I find a bit frightening, anything that guides me through this maze (or at least tells me what is happening) I find fascinating :wink:

Personally I use Hibernation (I use laptop though), so it is an unmovable file and I use offline defrag to keep it and other system files intact.

I should have been more specific, I have an Acer Aspire One NetBook (see sig) and have Hibernation enabled (but haven't used it yet)

I just disabled Hibernation for the defrag period then enabled it again.

I think I have seen off-line defrag mentioned while searching around as well as other off-line stuff like Registry checks (?).

I should look into it a bit more, thanks again :smile:

All the best, woz of oz

You Sure

Well if you gained 1.9GB of free space,then a theory would be that after the defrag,your files(data)were optimized and consolidated leaving you with more free space.Though I must admit,I've never seen any significant gain in drive space from a defrag.Are you sure of this? Have you deleted any programs that you forgot about? The report generated by SD only shows the size of the partition and the amount of free space.There are no comparative numbers available as in a before/after pertaining to free space.

hi detailer

before i used deep defrag i posted here (pg 1) stating my free bytes after checking it 93Gb

after defragmentation i checked i had 94.9 Gb

After booting for the first time i notice the system was working on harddisk maybe reconstracting information files aater defrag - i don't know - and the free space came down to 94.2 Gb as it is now

no installation or unistallation were performed during this period

everything on pc look and work perfectly

it is really strange!!

cheers

Hi demitris and detailer

I think the most thorough way to run a defragmentation is to run a full check disk first - the one that also checks the free space - this takes a while - which is why it is often skipped :-) ; and then run a defragmentation, - in a situation like that I would be very surprised to learn that the defragmentation had "recovered" any harddisk space whatsoever.

Cheers

solbjerg

Well if you gained 1.9GB of free space,then a theory would be that after the defrag,your files(data)were optimized and consolidated leaving you with more free space.Though I must admit,I've never seen any significant gain in drive space from a defrag.Are you sure of this? Have you deleted any programs that you forgot about? The report generated by SD only shows the size of the partition and the amount of free space.There are no comparative numbers available as in a before/after pertaining to free space.

Archived