IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Defrag takes up too many resources

It would be great if defrag were slightly less "aggrressive" about the resources it consumes while it is running (currently: deep optimize).

The process takes a long time, and it would be great if i could use my computer better while it is running.

Perhaps it could only use one processor, or run at a lower priority?

Hi Peter

May I suggest that you run it at a scheduled time where you do not use the computer very much?

Or my own favorite - start the defrag just before going to bed and set it to close the computer when finished.

You then start the day with an optimized defragged computer and is not hampered by an automatic cleaning going on while you use the computer.

Cheers

solbjerg

It would be great if defrag were slightly less "aggrressive" about the resources it consumes while it is running (currently: deep optimize).

The process takes a long time, and it would be great if i could use my computer better while it is running.

Perhaps it could only use one processor, or run at a lower priority?

Agreed Solbjerg

Peter,why would you want to defrag while you're still working/playing? You don't get up from the dinner table and start washing dishes before you're done eating,do you? Both are pointless exercises in futility.If you insist,you may change SD's priority in Task Manager,or look for something like Process Lassso,or Anvir Task Manager,or Process Tamer.My advice,follow Solbjerg's advice.

Hi Peter

No matter how you do - if you use resources for another process, you will have that much less for the one you want to run at the same time.

So I wouldn't exactly call it a workaround, more like using the computer in the optimal way I would say.

Did you use the automatic defrag in the background? - then you could try setting that to only start if the usage is very low and stop if usage exceeds 20%. Did the full optimize work OK in autodefrag mode?

How defragged were your computer? How much percentage of free space did you have?

Cheers

solbjerg

Thanks for the suggested workarounds. ;-) That's what I ended up having to do.

Hi Peter

No matter how you do - if you use resources for another process, you will have that much less for the one you want to run at the same time.

So I wouldn't exactly call it a workaround, more like using the computer in the optimal way I would say.

All software adheres to that reality (use of program A means less for other programs). I call the way SmartDefrag does it hogging the resources and acting as if it were the only and most important program regardless of the reality that the user is likely to want to perform other tasks in the mean time (even if it is only to browse the 'net or read e-mails). /rant

Did you use the automatic defrag in the background? - then you could try setting that to only start if the usage is very low and stop if usage exceeds 20%. Did the full optimize work OK in autodefrag mode?

I used the "Defrag Now" button, but I also have "Enable Auto Defrag" and "Pause when resource usable exceeds 20%" selected. So I'm not sure which of those seemingly separate modes was active (UI ambiguity).

Unfortunately, after my initial frustration during the first attempt at doing something else (10 minutes of: click. wait. scroll. wait. wait. wait. click. wait. etc) I canot remember whether "Enable Auto Defrag" was set back then. And I can't remember if I changed it, and if things got better (I claim frustration and fatigue - it was late too). I'd have to test it again under more ... relaxed conditions.

I also noticed, that, after the overnight defrag, that there are a lot of sectors that are still marked red (~25%), even though I had selected the most thorough defrag setting: "Deep Optimize". Why is that?

How defragged were your computer? How much percentage of free space did you have?

I think it was 15% fragged with 18% free space (25 GB out of 150 GB free).

Hi Peter :-)

Yeah waiting is almost always irritating.

I think a bit more free space would be beneficial.

I usually run it if it exceeds 5% fragmentation, but I do it manually.

Defragging isn't the only thing that keeps the computer in trim, a chkdsk once in a while is a good thing too, especially chkdsk /r would probably remove some of the red.

The rest is probably from various places for example fragmented registry and boot sector and system files and so on - try using pagedefrag for that.

If you have ASC you could also try to run IObit Registry Defrag in Tools

Cheers

solbjerg

All software adheres to that reality (use of program A means less for other programs). I call the way SmartDefrag does it hogging the resources and acting as if it were the only and most important program regardless of the reality that the user is likely to want to perform other tasks in the mean time (even if it is only to browse the 'net or read e-mails). /rant

I used the "Defrag Now" button, but I also have "Enable Auto Defrag" and "Pause when resource usable exceeds 20%" selected. So I'm not sure which of those seemingly separate modes was active (UI ambiguity).

Unfortunately, after my initial frustration during the first attempt at doing something else (10 minutes of: click. wait. scroll. wait. wait. wait. click. wait. etc) I canot remember whether "Enable Auto Defrag" was set back then. And I can't remember if I changed it, and if things got better (I claim frustration and fatigue - it was late too). I'd have to test it again under more ... relaxed conditions.

I also noticed, that, after the overnight defrag, that there are a lot of sectors that are still marked red (~25%), even though I had selected the most thorough defrag setting: "Deep Optimize". Why is that?

I think it was 15% fragged with 18% free space (25 GB out of 150 GB free).

Archived