IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

All files immovable?

Hi Quarantine

It looks like you have what they call a 40 GB harddrive and that this harddrive is completely full.

But as you have been able to run a defrag there must be some free space

The former problems of this kind have to my knowledge been from users that had very filled up drives,

In my opinion a chkdsk /r is usually more important than a defragmentation. (throw in a pagedefrag too) :-)

Have you read all of "Thinking about Defragmentation" with links and all?

Also some posts have described what kind of action has been tried and the result from these actions.

It is a rather unusual occurrence from what we have seen and the reasons could be very individual, so please describe your setup and actions taken.

Cheers

solbjerg

very odd, there are a few threads here on the support forums touching on this subject...yet no real formal discussion nore resoltuon.

Hello solbjerg,

I ran the chkdsk /r as requested

[indent]Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.                         
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 11 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 11 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 11 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
Free space verification is complete.

39021884 KB total disk space.
 32693888 KB in 209605 files.
    85412 KB in 26584 indexes.
        0 KB in bad sectors.
   372704 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
  5869880 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
  9755471 total allocation units on disk.
  1467470 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
30 10 04 00 a6 9a 03 00 f5 a7 05 00 00 00 00 00  0...............
40 06 00 00 02 00 00 00 f7 06 00 00 00 00 00 00  @...............
40 1b 5f 13 00 00 00 00 6e 44 15 69 01 00 00 00  @._.....nD.i....
06 48 ea 12 00 00 00 00 fe 9f c5 a4 06 00 00 00  .H..............
6c 7d c8 70 00 00 00 00 5e 78 c2 ae 08 00 00 00  l}.p....^x......
30 16 7c a6 00 00 00 00 b0 38 07 00 c5 32 03 00  0.|......8...2..
00 00 00 00 00 00 7a cb 07 00 00 00 d8 67 00 00  ......z......g..[/indent]

Additionally I've tried uninstalling Smart Defrag, Rebooting, Redownloading the latest version, reinstalling, and still the same results All files immovable.

I have also noticed that now when Smart Defrag is analyzing the drive it doesn't show any of the blocks while it's analyzing.. instead the blocks appear after the report appears, and the report always contains zero files fragements.

how ever the microsoft defrag tool indicates 15% disk space is free on the drive and shows file fragmentation at 5%, with hardly any immovable files and the microsoft defrag tool will proceed with defragmentating the drive.

I do not have any other iobit tools installed on this system, I have read all of the posts on the forums pertaining to this issue and all of their links.

still at a loss as to why smart defrag is not properly reading the disk information.

Hi Quarantine

It looks like you have what they call a 40 GB harddrive and that this harddrive is completely full.

But as you have been able to run a defrag there must be some free space

The former problems of this kind have to my knowledge been from users that had very filled up drives,

In my opinion a chkdsk /r is usually more important than a defragmentation. (throw in a pagedefrag too) :-)

Have you read all of "Thinking about Defragmentation" with links and all?

Also some posts have described what kind of action has been tried and the result from these actions.

It is a rather unusual occurrence from what we have seen and the reasons could be very individual, so please describe your setup and actions taken.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi Quarantine

Curious

A little more leeway in the empty space department would be good I think.

But that is for the future!

The reinstall of SmartDefrag - was that a completely clean install?

And the chkdsk didn't find anything floating around in your free space!! As I would have expected. :?

Have you tried the PageDefrag program - it is a nice little program. (Mark Russinovich) forgive my spelling I haven't seen his name recently. :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hello solbjerg,

I ran the chkdsk /r as requested

[indent]Checking file system on C:[/indent]

[indent][size=1]The type of the file system is NTFS.[/size][/indent]

[indent][size=1]A disk check has been scheduled.[/size][/indent]

[indent][size=1]Windows will now check the disk.                         [/size][/indent]

[indent][size=1]Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.[/size][/indent]

[indent][size=1]Cleaning up 11 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.[/size][/indent]

[indent][size=1]Cleaning up 11 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.[/size][/indent]

[indent][size=1]Cleaning up 11 unused security descriptors.[/size][/indent]

[indent][size=1]CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...[/size][/indent]

[indent][size=1]Usn Journal verification completed.[/size][/indent]

[indent][size=1]CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...[/size][/indent]

[indent][size=1]File data verification completed.[/size][/indent]

[indent][size=1]CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...[/size][/indent]

[indent][size=1]Free space verification is complete.[/size][/indent]

[indent][size=1] 39021884 KB total disk space.[/size][/indent]

[indent][size=1] 32693888 KB in 209605 files.[/size][/indent]

[indent][size=1]    85412 KB in 26584 indexes.[/size][/indent]

[indent][size=1]        0 KB in bad sectors.[/size][/indent]

[indent][size=1]   372704 KB in use by the system.[/size][/indent]

[indent][size=1]    65536 KB occupied by the log file.[/size][/indent]

[indent][size=1]  5869880 KB available on disk.[/size][/indent]

[indent][size=1]     4096 bytes in each allocation unit.[/size][/indent]

[indent][size=1]  9755471 total allocation units on disk.[/size][/indent]

[indent][size=1]  1467470 allocation units available on disk.[/size][/indent]

[indent][size=1]Internal Info:[/size][/indent]

[indent][size=1]30 10 04 00 a6 9a 03 00 f5 a7 05 00 00 00 00 00  0...............[/size][/indent]

[indent][size=1]40 06 00 00 02 00 00 00 f7 06 00 00 00 00 00 00  @...............[/size][/indent]

[indent][size=1]40 1b 5f 13 00 00 00 00 6e 44 15 69 01 00 00 00  @._.....nD.i....[/size][/indent]

[indent][size=1]06 48 ea 12 00 00 00 00 fe 9f c5 a4 06 00 00 00  .H..............[/size][/indent]

[indent][size=1]6c 7d c8 70 00 00 00 00 5e 78 c2 ae 08 00 00 00  l}.p....^x......[/size][/indent]

[indent][size=1]30 16 7c a6 00 00 00 00 b0 38 07 00 c5 32 03 00  0.|......8...2..[/size][/indent]

[indent][size=1]00 00 00 00 00 00 7a cb 07 00 00 00 d8 67 00 00  ......z......g..[/size][/indent]

Additionally I've tried uninstalling Smart Defrag, Rebooting, Redownloading the latest version, reinstalling, and still the same results All files immovable.

I have also noticed that now when Smart Defrag is analyzing the drive it doesn't show any of the blocks while it's analyzing.. instead the blocks appear after the report appears, and the report always contains zero files fragements.

how ever the microsoft defrag tool indicates 15% disk space is free on the drive and shows file fragmentation at 5%, with hardly any immovable files and the microsoft defrag tool will proceed with defragmentating the drive.

I do not have any other iobit tools installed on this system, I have read all of the posts on the forums pertaining to this issue and all of their links.

still at a loss as to why smart defrag is not properly reading the disk information.

When you say completely clean install... you mean uninstall, reboot, reinstall correct? or am I misunderstanding you?

I'll give the pagedefrag a go, though my primary intent is to get the deep optimizations from smart defrag

Hi Quarantine

Curious

A little more leeway in the empty space department would be good I think.

But that is for the future!

The reinstall of SmartDefrag - was that a completely clean install?

And the chkdsk didn't find anything floating around in your free space!! As I would have expected. :?

Have you tried the PageDefrag program - it is a nice little program. (Mark Russinovich) forgive my spelling I haven't seen his name recently. :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi Quarantine

When I say "Completely Clean Install" I mean what is described here:

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?p=11513#post11513

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?p=11665#post11665

If one does not delete the folder too, there may be "leftovers" that aren't deleted when the "new" program installs itself in the same folder, if another file was generated by the previous program, it will have no counterpart in the new install file and therefore it will not be exchanged by the installation of the "new" program.

This could possibly have something to do with your predicament too.

But a pageDefrag is a good thing too.

Cheers

solbjerg

When you say completely clean install... you mean uninstall, reboot, reinstall correct? or am I misunderstanding you?

I'll give the pagedefrag a go, though my primary intent is to get the deep optimizations from smart defrag

solbjerg,

as requested I uninstalled smart defrag, then deleted the IObit folder from progam files, then reinstalled smart defrag again from a fresh download. yet the issue persists.

I'm currently running windows xp fully updated.

Hi Quarantine

When I say "Completely Clean Install" I mean what is described here:

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?p=11513#post11513

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?p=11665#post11665

If one does not delete the folder too, there may be "leftovers" that aren't deleted when the "new" program installs itself in the same folder, if another file was generated by the previous program, it will have no counterpart in the new install file and therefore it will not be exchanged by the installation of the "new" program.

This could possibly have something to do with your predicament too.

But a pageDefrag is a good thing too.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi Quarantine

Not requested - suggested :-)

This is what I have in my SmartDefrag folder

EULA.rtf

IObit SmartDefrag.exe

language

NtfsData.dll

SDInit.exe

taskdll.dll

unins000.dat

unins000.exe

unins000.msg (this is possibly just by me)

What's new.txt

It would be fine if you found the reason for the depiction of all the immovable files.

Cheers

solbjerg

solbjerg,

as requested I uninstalled smart defrag, then deleted the IObit folder from progam files, then reinstalled smart defrag again from a fresh download. yet the issue persists.

I'm currently running windows xp fully updated.

If it helps either of you with the evaluate the problem, my folder looks the same. i.e.

C:\Program Files\IObit\IObit SmartDefrag\EULA.rtf

C:\Program Files\IObit\IObit SmartDefrag\IObit SmartDefrag.exe

C:\Program Files\IObit\IObit SmartDefrag\language

C:\Program Files\IObit\IObit SmartDefrag\NtfsData.dll

C:\Program Files\IObit\IObit SmartDefrag\SDInit.exe

C:\Program Files\IObit\IObit SmartDefrag\taskdll.dll

C:\Program Files\IObit\IObit SmartDefrag\unins000.dat

C:\Program Files\IObit\IObit SmartDefrag\unins000.exe

C:\Program Files\IObit\IObit SmartDefrag\unins000.msg

C:\Program Files\IObit\IObit SmartDefrag\What's new.txt

CT

11/12/2008  04:11 PM                      39,663 EULA.rtf
02/13/2009  06:15 PM                   1,986,896 IObit SmartDefrag.exe
06/18/2009  04:04 PM    <DIR>                    language
01/12/2009  06:56 PM                      59,216 NtfsData.dll
01/12/2009  06:54 PM                      49,488 SDInit.exe
01/12/2009  06:56 PM                      71,504 taskdll.dll
06/18/2009  04:04 PM                      25,879 unins000.dat
06/18/2009  04:03 PM                     708,944 unins000.exe
06/18/2009  04:04 PM                      10,498 unins000.msg
02/19/2009  09:24 AM                         879 What's new.txt

I can't for the life of me figure out what could be flagging all files immovable?

Hi Quarantine

Me neither!

But we mustn't forget that you are tethering right on the brink of sufficient free space.

Is it possible for you to move some of the files now on C: to another location - at least for a while - to see if that helps?

Cheers

solbjerg

11/12/2008  04:11 PM                      39,663 EULA.rtf

[indent][size=2]02/13/2009  06:15 PM                   1,986,896 IObit SmartDefrag.exe[/size][/indent]

[indent][size=2]06/18/2009  04:04 PM    <DIR>                    language[/size][/indent]

[indent][size=2]01/12/2009  06:56 PM                      59,216 NtfsData.dll[/size][/indent]

[indent][size=2]01/12/2009  06:54 PM                      49,488 SDInit.exe[/size][/indent]

[indent][size=2]01/12/2009  06:56 PM                      71,504 taskdll.dll[/size][/indent]

[indent][size=2]06/18/2009  04:04 PM                      25,879 unins000.dat[/size][/indent]

[indent][size=2]06/18/2009  04:03 PM                     708,944 unins000.exe[/size][/indent]

[indent][size=2]06/18/2009  04:04 PM                      10,498 unins000.msg[/size][/indent]

[indent][size=2]02/19/2009  09:24 AM                         879 What's new.txt[/size][/indent]

I can't for the life of me figure out what could be flagging all files immovable?

This is probably way, way out there and off base with no chance of being right.

I don't have a desktop computer that only works on AC current, so I don't know how this setting is implemented to stop defragmenting processes.

But, you aren't using a computer that is using a battery for power, are you? With the Smartfrag option "Stop defrag while using battery. (Recommended)" checked, are you?

Like I said... this probably isn't it.

Along the same lines, you don't have several large files that are over 1Gb with the option "Skip files larger than 1 GB" checked, right?

CT

Resolved!

Tim!!!

solbjerg and Tim,

The problem wasn't the 'stop defrag while using battery' as that was not checked and this is a desktop pc.

how ever it made me think to uncheck everything in the options panel.

and when I unchecked everything smart defrag started working properly.

I narrowed the problem down to 'skip files larger than' and I had it set to 10GB

how ever when I uncheck the box, the issue went away!

so there ya have it for those that run into this problem uncheck 'skip files'

This is probably way, way out there and off base with no chance of being right.

I don't have a desktop computer that only works on AC current, so I don't know how this setting is implemented to stop defragmenting processes.

But, you aren't using a computer that is using a battery for power, are you? With the Smartfrag option "Stop defrag while using battery. (Recommended)" checked, are you?

Like I said... this probably isn't it.

Along the same lines, you don't have several large files that are over 1Gb with the option "Skip files larger than 1 GB" checked, right?

CT

Great Quarantine

At least that solved it by you, I wonder if it is always that setting that brings the immovables up. But I'll keep it in mind.

Thank you for the feedback!!!

Whatever made you think of skipping files setting, Tim?

Cheers

solbjerg

Tim!!!

solbjerg and Tim,

The problem wasn't the 'stop defrag while using battery' as that was not checked and this is a desktop pc.

I narrowed the problem down to 'skip files larger than' and I had it set to 10GB

Great Quarantine

At least that solved it by you, I wonder if it is always that setting that brings the immovables up. But I'll keep it in mind.

Thank you for the feedback!!!

Whatever made you think of skipping files setting, Tim?

Cheers

solbjerg

Tim bows and remains silent.

Unmovable Files

Hi Quarantine,

I was having the same problem and tried all the fixes mentioned, including a "clean" install, disk check, etc.

What solved the problem was unchecking the "Skip files larger than... " box in the options menu, and my files were immediately unlocked. I set mine for files above 5gb, but the program must have a bug. It applies the skip function to most files, even those well below the 5gb limitation I chose.

Hope this helps.

Cubeman

Tim!!!

solbjerg and Tim,

Thank you very much! I had the exact same problem (with 286GB free space) and I was tearing my hair out. All I did was uncheck the "skip files larger than" and SD is working again. There must be a minor bug with that function.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I'd really like to use this fix for the same problem, but alas it doesn't work. But mine is slightly different as in ALL my disk blocks with information in them are marked as immovable.

I have 35Gb free. Any other disks I plug in are also like this. I have unchecked all options. I am the administrator of the PC. UAC is off. No virus program or firewall....... I really don't know where to go next....

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

Andrew

Hi andrew

I would try chkdsk - sfc /scannow and a registry defrag.

Those 35 GB free - how much is that percentage-wise?

Do you have many large video/picture files stored?

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi all,

I'd really like to use this fix for the same problem, but alas it doesn't work. But mine is slightly different as in ALL my disk blocks with information in them are marked as immovable.

I have 35Gb free. Any other disks I plug in are also like this. I have unchecked all options. I am the administrator of the PC. UAC is off. No virus program or firewall....... I really don't know where to go next....

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

Andrew

Archived