IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Tens of thousands of problems ! Literally

alex30

Hi,

I updated to the latest version of Advanced System care when it was released and ran it is usual, never having had any problems before. It was on a reinstall of Windows that I first ran the update and it found 6000 odd security issues, thousands of registry problems etc etc. It was actually quite funny as it seemed like someone at IOBit was having a laugh. As I had pressed the care button these tens of thousands of problems were "fixed".

I then found that all my notification items had gone.

I did a quick reboot and still no show on the notification items which were scheduled to start at start up ie anivirus, antimalware,firewall,email notifier.

I checked in my Start up manager and all the entries were gone, it was empty.

I tried a restore using the Advanced system care utility but no go so I restored using my ERUNT backup [a great programme by the way, it never fails me.I have switched Windows system restore off now as it is so unreliable]

Anyway, I tried again , and the same thing happens ,resulting in another ERUNT to the rescue.

I never did discover what other necessary functions got wiped but I am pretty sure there would have been other casualties.

I just wonder if anyone has had a similar experience and if anyone has any thoughts or remedies. I have not given up on ASC yet !!

Regards Alex.

I'm willing to bet that the 6000+ security issues were known bad sites blocked from the host file, setting the addy back to home. As they say, there is no place like 127.0..0.1!

I have no idea about the other. I have found that ASC finds a lot of registry errors immediately after a new install. It is the nature of the multiple layers of file applications and patches that are its hallmark. I haven't had a problem with deleting them though. Maybe taking an ISO of your virginal system after it is fully installed and before adding ASC or anything else would give you an easy restore option in the future.

Thanks for reminding me about ERUNT. I have heard good things about it but have never used it. Maybe I should give it a try!

Hi Peastoyou,

You really should give ERUNT a go. It automatically makes a backup the first boot up of the day but with just two clicks you can make a back up anytime.

It will store the autobackups for 30 days by default then it will wipe the oldest to make way for the new one. The backups you make yourself are kept until you wipe them. I have customised my programme [easy] to only save 10 days at a time of the auto backups.

I have also made a desktop shortcut to the ERDNT file which contains all the ERUNT back ups. It is simple to apply one of these back ups as needed.

If you download from Lar's site [the programme writer] then the ERUNT programme comes with a nifty Registry Optimiser which doesn't remove anything but defragments.

If you do decide to try ERUNT and have any problems or questions then I will do my best to help. It really is a programme worth having 'cos it always seems to work unlike Windows system restore which is unpredictable.

Regards Alex

Macrium Reflect

If you want real back up protection,buy a USB and down load Macrium Reflect, and learn how to use it. Its a freeware and backs up your C drive, and can be used to get you back exactly where you were even on a dead or cold hard drive. you can do a search on this forum for Macrium Reflect.[garybear]

What size Usb would I need ?

That really depends on the size of the system partition (or whichever partition you create an image of).

E.g. my system partition runs at roughly 12.5GB and the compressed image from Macrium Reflect around 5.6GB.

The final image size, of course, also depends on how good of a cleanup of junk files you do before creating an image.

Hi Garybear,

Thanks, I will have a good look at that. It sounds very useful. What size Usb would I need ? I don't store anything but my programmes such as antivirus antimalware etc.

Regards Alex.

Hi Alex 30. I have 120GB USB ,and like danburrito I have 12 to 14 GB on my drive. I back up my drive every month and have 4 back ups on it. Don't need that many ,but since I have lots of room, I don't delete the oldest until I have created a new one. You can put other stuff on your USB. I couldn't see much difference in price, so I bought 120 GB. I paid 80 dollars for mine, but think you can do better shopping around. I love my Macrium and my seagate USB. I have recovered from a hard drive failure in less than 30 minutes. I am in no way a computer expert and it takes a while to learn how to use the program, but I'm betting you can do it. I'm sure there are other people on the forum besides me that can help you. I will be glad to help you by email or PM. PS you can use the program with cd's, but I wouldn't recommend that way. USB is the way to go.[garybear] I have created threads and posts on the forum about Macrium if you do a search. Wish you the best.

I have had this exact problem.

Unfortunately I have no way of getting them back. I have tried restore but it doesnt work.

I ended up having to manually add 2 start up entries into the registry.

Unfortunately every ASC scan now finds these and wants to delete them.

Another odd thing is. Even though these 2 programmes now start up with windows, if I go into the programmes-settings, the check box for "start with windows" is UNCHECKED and it wont let me check it. Just reverts back to being Unchecked.

I never had this problem until I updated to the latest version. :sad:

I have had this exact problem.

Unfortunately I have no way of getting them back. I have tried restore but it doesn't work.

I ended up having to manually add 2 start up entries into the registry.

Unfortunately every ASC scan now finds these and wants to delete them.

Another odd thing is. Even though these 2 programmes now start up with windows, if I go into the programmes-settings, the check box for "start with windows" is UNCHECKED and it wont let me check it. Just reverts back to being Unchecked.

I never had this problem until I updated to the latest version. :sad:

Hi Paleeagle,

So it isn't just me then. The same as you it only happened after the version update. What do you use as a backup. As I said I use ERUNT which is very easy to use and very reliable for that sort of thing. On recommendation from Garybear I am just starting using Macrium (freeware) in conjunction with a 16 or 32 GB memory stick which will enable me to format the disk and restore the whole disk including programmes and all the Windows updates in a matter of 1/2 hour so problems like your having are not such a headache Feel free to get back.

Cheers Alex

Well it was bad luck for me. :-( I didnt have a back up like you guys.

I tried to restore using IOBit but that didnt work. Tried to do system restore only to find out it was still turned off. I am a fool and forgot to turn it back on after a virus deletion a couple of weeks ago.

I ended up manually re-adding the strings into the registry to get them to start back up.

I have now downloaded the ERUNT programme you mentioned.

Did your closed programmes have the same problem as me? Unable to check the "start with windows" box. Mine just kept unchecking itself. It still does. Although the programmes now start with windows so cant complain.

It seems to have only caused problems with my system tray/start up programmes and nothing more serious.. luckily.

You live and learn.

Well it was bad luck for me. :-( I didn't have a back up like you guys.

I tried to restore using IOBit but that didn't work. Tried to do system restore only to find out it was still turned off. I am a fool and forgot to turn it back on after a virus deletion a couple of weeks ago.

I ended up manually re-adding the strings into the registry to get them to start back up.

I have now downloaded the ERUNT programme you mentioned.

Did your closed programmes have the same problem as me? Unable to check the "start with windows" box. Mine just kept unchecking itself. It still does. Although the programmes now start with windows so cant complain.

It seems to have only caused problems with my system tray/start up programmes and nothing more serious.. luckily.

You live and learn.

Hi paleeagle,

No I didn't have the problem you mentioned with the start with Windows.

One little tip with ERUNT is to put a shortcut to the ERDNT file on your desktop so it is very easy to grab. I am sure you will find the programme very useful. If you think there is anything I may be able to help you with just post.

Good luck Alex

Hi paleeagle,

No I didn't have the problem you mentioned with the start with Windows.

One little tip with ERUNT is to put a shortcut to the ERDNT file on your desktop so it is very easy to grab. I am sure you will find the programme very useful. If you think there is anything I may be able to help you with just post.

Good luck Alex

Will do. And thanks very much for making me aware of ERUNT.

Archived