IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Everything is gone!!

Newsy

I have run Ad.Syst.Ctrl before with excellent results. It really made a difference in the computer's performance.

However....I just ran it again, told it to repair everything and now find myself with missing files like ALL MY MAIL!!! I tried the restore button ( after making this discovery) but that didn't get me anywhere. I then went to Windows System Restore where I was informed that there are no backup files on the computer. I'm afraid to look to see what else is missing.

Help Please:cry::cry:

Can anyone tell me how to get my mail back?

Sorry to see that But No there Gone....a restore would of done that

any thing that is put on a drive after the made restore point will be lost

you would have to be doing it every 10 mi nits and than if say you downloaded

a update .as in drivers thy would revert back to the restoring point if not added To it...

or say you installed a program,Email,what ever ,that would have to be redone..

even a back up ..its the same...you can have this on the fly ,but slows the pc down to half..as it updates the drive all the time..(by that i mean adds data to the back up files....

hi newsy

obviously u lost your files using the sugestions at security analyzer where u checked the system programs and erased them for ever

the restore in vista keeps tracks of system files,drivers and program installations or updates only Nothing else

When u restore to a point any malware program is removed and any damaged system file or driver is recovered and u return to that point (time) No other files are deleted or recovered

i don't understand what u used in Advanced System Care to erase your emails

anyway , why u mind for emails ( i personally keep no one -not real letters) unless u have lost your email program. If so reinstall it and don't mind

cheers

"the restore in vista keeps tracks of system files,drivers and program installations or updates only Nothing else"

well put - thanks ...shame realy no one likes to lose files

Hi itsmejj

the restore has to work like this in order to loose little harddisk space

if it gave u the possibility to restore everything then the OS ought to duplicate everything and so when u had a 100Gb you would actually have 50Gb due to necessary daplication

cheers

I have used System Restore many times over the years and it has never touched the e-mail. I don't know how this program did it, but it did. When I ran the program I told it to delete everything to the Recycle Bin and there was a lot of stuff there. After I resored everything from the recycle bin I then had all my messages listed by date and subject but no content in any message.

Although as I ran the scan I was thinking seriously about purchasing the paid version but after this experience I wont use it again and I certainly wont recommend this program to anyone!

• 2 months later...

Sympathetic

The successful use of ASC requires a competent and alert operator who takes the time to double check the program's list of suggestions for possible removal.

~Maxx~

"Advanced SystemCare Free provides a convenient way for non-technical users to perform routine maintenance and apply system optimization tweaks without the need to become a computer geek. "

Quote from Cnet on IObit.com web page

Sure looks good in the ads huh?

Been there...done that...

Gentlemen and Ladies, I have no intention to start any argument (and won't engage in one), but over the many years I have been messing with computers, I have lost libraries full of data, applications, email, games, and just plain "junk". Sometimes it has been a hardware failure. Most of the time, I hit the "Oh CRAP!" key without thinking, or by mistake.

I can sympathize, strongly, with anyone who has lost important data. I can also suggest from my own experience, that extreme caution should be used with ANY application or command that will permanently do ANYTHING to your system. (This includes those MicroSoft updates that are "uninstallable".)

I am not blaming "Newsy", but I can't blame Cnet, ASC or IObit either. I have never seen any useful, powerful, efficient application that is "Failsafe". Generally speaking, if it's "harmless", it's "useless".

Newsy, if your email is very important, there are app's than can recover lost data. Their success depends primarily upon whether or not those disk sectors have been overwritten. If you intend to try to recover them, do it SOON. FWIW, I leave a copy of my email on my server. There are many free servers (i.e. Gmail) that allow this, and that have huge capacities.

Good luck, Newsy,

Thanks to all that contribute here.

BTC

• 3 weeks later...

Strange things...

I would agree with BTC - if it's 'userproof', it's probably not doing much for you, so it does pay to pay attention. I've used ASC (free version) for quite awhile and recently upgraded to the paid version. Since I did that I've noticed a few disturbing things happening. Periodically, my IE homepage gets reset to the default MSN & Bing - not a big deal, but annoying nonetheless. Also have noticed that at some indetermined frequency MS Word seems to forget what my return address is - slightly more annoying because of the way I have it configured. Hard telling what else might be going on that I'm not aware of - yet. The only thing I can suspect is something to do with the registry deep scan that comes as part of the paid version.

Does any of this ring a bell with anyone else?

Hi OldGeek

No bell ringing by me :-)

But what do you have in your Ignore List?

And how are your settings in Privacy Sweep?

I haven't seen what you describe by me, but I have noticed that sometimes very infrequently I have to reset the apperance in the screen properties to remove shadows from behind menu items.

That is the only thing I have noticed, and as it happens so infrequently I haven't tried very hard to find out why. :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

I would agree with BTC - if it's 'userproof', it's probably not doing much for you, so it does pay to pay attention. I've used ASC (free version) for quite awhile and recently upgraded to the paid version. Since I did that I've noticed a few disturbing things happening. Periodically, my IE homepage gets reset to the default MSN & Bing - not a big deal, but annoying nonetheless. Also have noticed that at some indetermined frequency MS Word seems to forget what my return address is - slightly more annoying because of the way I have it configured. Hard telling what else might be going on that I'm not aware of - yet. The only thing I can suspect is something to do with the registry deep scan that comes as part of the paid version.

Does any of this ring a bell with anyone else?

Addition to solbjerg and OldGeek, one of the main differences between Pro And Free is the System Optimization, where in Free, it is for Basic Computer Optimization, and in Pro, most of the time, it is Daily User (Home User) Computer Optimization, if not DSL on top of that.

ASC also looks for more parts of the PC for System Optimization where most of the time they are changed by different Registry entry values if Optimization is left solely to ASC.

Cheers.

enoskype - Thanks for your reply. I'm still trying to sort out exactly what you're saying. I had hoped that with the paid version I would get better optimization and more thorough cleaning, and I think I am. The question is - does this have a bearing on the things I've been experiencing?

Thank you -

Hi OldGeek,

Sorry for my bad explanation.

System Optimization and other functions are explained in USAGE of IOBIT PRODUCTS thread of Lounge section in detail.

In summary, after Scan and before hitting Repair, it is good practice to click on xx Problems found on the right side of the System Optimization to see the Details of the System Optimization and to put some of the items to the Ignore List, which are the optimizations ASC wants to do, but you do not want them to be changed.

This is valid for other functions such as Registry Fix, Privacy Sweep, etc.

This may have a bearing on the things you've been experiencing.

Please ask if you have specific questions, either me, an other administrator, or some of the users may find an answer to those questions.

Cheers.

Archived