IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Only scanning one user's files

jiriji

I've been using AWC for several months but only ever running it when i was logged in, not other users. I've been very happy but yesterday it suddenly occurred to me that all directories mentioned in the report were under my user name. My husband uses this computer as much as i do (we both have the same administrative privileges), so i felt sure that at least some cookies should relate to his internet use. On a hunch i asked him to run AWC while he was logged in as the user and, lo and behold, it detected a bunch of spyware and cookies, and freed up a phenomenal amount of disk space.

I would have thought that any user (but not Guest) logged in to any computer where AWC is installed should be able to run the program and have it scan the entire computer, not just the particular user's directories.

Can anyone tell me how to remedy this? I have looked under all settings and options and cannot find anywhere that says exactly which parts of the computer are scanned.

Thanks for help.

Thanks for the response. I have finally got my husband to co-operate and he is now running the program himself when he's logged in :shock:

However, i think consumers should be made aware that AWC does not scan the entire computer. I bet there are others like me who think their computers are being completely scanned, when in fact AWC is only scanning files related to the person logged in.

This is an important security issue, don't you think?

About user accounts: Another user may find it irritating that all his cookies and privacy settings are being tampered with?

Well, yes, but it was also irritating to find 48 instances of spyware in that user's account when it was finally scanned. The implication of that bothers me, especially since my anti-virus program detected trojan-infected files relevant to that same user. Now, i'm not saying that those trojans were directly related to the spyware but they might have been.

Despite firewalls and scanners, nasties do get through, and what affects one user obviously can affect others using the same computer. I can understand that people may not want their own cookies deleted, but surely it would be possible to scan an entire computer for malware, even leaving cookies and other personal settings untouched?

Yes you are right, but would it not be easier just to run the computer with one joined administrator account?

You could create folders for both of you.

As administrators you both have access to the entire computer anyway.

If you feel the need for secrecy why not protect the file with a password?

By the way - you are not lost in cyberspace - me thinks

Archived