IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Restarting problem vista

rccunha

Dear,

Yesterday I was doing a defrag and it stopped during the process. I switched off the computer and when trying to restart no sucess at all. I've tried the recovery tools but also no sucess. Now the computer is in the black screen with the "thinking bar" rolling for hours (4 or 5). Any clues, help?

Any clues, help? -----black screen --well probably the worst thing to see-

the screen of death!!--i would rather see a blue one--if it were to happen--

meaning you lost the boot disk ability to boot,that help ?

No itsmejjj

of coarse not ,what it means your sunk-you have what know as cross files

Uh you think -whats happened, your file a cross stitched--your system cant read the first 10 bytes of the drive--as thy are placed at the far end

protection --by the defrag program ...

uh you think ,when a defrag takes place it places the first 10 bytes to the end of your drive , leaves them reserved--when completed replaces them to the start. again....because you interfered you have cross bytes in the 1st 10 bytes....this a a know thing to hackers- and Michelob o @$##%$ kiddo hackers... who try to get in by a Trojan to mess with the first 10 bytes

rendering the drive unusable----

you will have to pop in your back up disk--you made ? than try to repair it first-recover,if this fails.

you need to reboot and re back the system from your backup file you made--

if you ether did none (made a backup disk-or have a back up file)

well you need to start over --a brand new install, that's it ,but you could monkey around ,perhaps fluke a boot --or make your c:]drive that rotten--you cant even re prepare -or repair--- Myself ,yes its happened many A time ,Why?? ,

i test install uninstall all sort of programs...and don't care -if it went wrong--

and some times, get please insert a boot disk--

all i have to do is

just repair or re backup the system..

10 Minn later we are of and running bar the last install made--

itsmejjj

Hi rccunha,

First it was a bad idea to switch off the computer. I think all defragging Programs have the option to stop them or you could stop it from Task Manager.

Now you have a few possibility to try:

1) Start the computer and press repeatedly F8 to get in a menu where you can try e.g. Safe Mode or other option and if managed to load VISTA try restore to a previous point

2) At Booting process there is another F key (check manual of your PC) u can use to restore system (Note: u loose everything except system files) for Hewlett Packard PCs is F11 or u can use recovery disks if u have any (again u loose everything)

this action is not reccomended

3) u boot from another drive Loading Vista OS and try to restore .fix ....

4) u can ask for help from a frind who can help u or u pay your dealer to help u

Good luck

cheers demitris

Start the computer and press repeatedly F8 to get in a menu where you can try e.g. Safe Mode or other option and if managed to load VISTA try restore to a previous point--

yes you can do this as much as u like-. Safe Mode this will not work ether

you cant boot! simple--the drive is all bar dead as far as booting is concerned--

if u have the black screen of death --take heed you can press all u want -and get the same -till the drive gives up -repeating:: --a black screen means your drive is not able to boot!!!

meaning -your pc can not see the drive.read,or find it--

if this is so as you stated in the first post-

"computer is in the black screen with the "thinking bar" rolling for hours (4 or 5)"

and how did you get out of it --yes reset button--

you will be ask for a boot disk-very smartly if you keep this up--

"a black screen with rolling thinking bars-prompt---"

or just all black--

in other words -no boot command-CROSS STITCH FILES-the more you stuff around with the pc in this condition the worst it gets -till you lose the use of the drive-a few more attempted boots by trying to Make it to boot--

and trust this you will have TO FORMAT THE DRIVE

and lose every thing on it--no big deal-bar the loss of info--data--

use the boot disk you made -simple--

get win OS TO repair it--if it fails well

re back up the system (from your boot disk) or CD if you made --

no files will be affected bar the OS files --!!!

your drive at the moment cant be read by the os in its state its in--

that's it ---

if you have non,cd as in back up -than do as advised pay a PC man to fix it

what ever he will charge-for reinstalling your system from scratch-- or do it your self cheaper--

how the heck Do i know this --get them often -installing untested software

like virus removers-anti this and that---

versions of Windows

Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows ME, Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 also display a Black Screen of Death when the operating system cannot boot. This is usually due to a missing file. This also happens when you enable file compression on all files and the operating system compresses. Often the user must reinstall Windows. If the missing file is critical to the boot process, however, more often than not the boot screen will inform the user of the missing file. If the operating system is compressed, you can't even safe boot.

In other cases, the black screen of death was replaced with the Blue Screen of Death.

A black screen can also be caused by display driver problems, or selecting a mode that the monitor cannot display, though this may result in a warning on the monitor, or even in damage to a CRT monitor if it is not protected against excessive scan rate. When A display driver is updated the black screen of death appears, but this is really just because it's being updated and it goes away after updating is fully done.

A black screen with boot failure may also be caused by bios corruption, a need to reset CMOS, or replace the CMOS battery.

For the HP Pavilion TX1000 Series Tablet PC, a black screen boot failure may also be caused by crystallization of solder joints at the NVIDIA graphics chip/board interface. As of 21Feb09, it is unknown if the same solder is defective in PCs that operate at cooler temperatures than the HP tx1000 series. Data needs include 'normal PC operating temperature range?', 'excessive PC operating temperatures?', and actual range of HP tx1000 series operating temperatures.

The Blue Screen of Death (also known as a stop error, BSoD, blue screen, or Blue Screen of Doom) is a colloquialism used for the error screen displayed by some operating systems, most notably Microsoft Windows, after encountering a critical system error which can cause the system to shut down to prevent damage.

According to Microsoft, blue screens on NT-based Windows systems are usually caused by poorly-written device drivers or malfunctioning hardware. In the Win9x era, incompatible DLLs or bugs in the kernel of the operating system could also cause blue screens. They can also be caused by physical faults such as faulty memory, power supplies, overheating of computer components, or hardware running beyond its specification limits. Blue screens have been present in all Windows-based operating systems since Windows 3.1; earlier, OS/2 suffered the Black Screen of Death, and early builds of Windows Vista displayed the Red Screen of Death after a boot loader error.

The term "Blue Screen of Death" originated during OS/2 pre-release development activities at Lattice Inc, the makers of an early Windows and OS/2 C compiler. During porting of Lattice's other tools, developers encountered the stop screen when NULL pointers were dereferenced either in application code or when unexpectedly passed into system API calls. During reviews of progress and feedback to IBM Austin, Texas, the developers described the stop screen as the Blue Screen of Death to denote the screen and the finality of the experience.[citation needed]

http://www.betanews.com/article/Tracking-Vistas-elusive-Black-Screen-of-Death/1245254312

perhaps read this it may help ---

info found googling the black screen of death----

itsmejjj

Well jjj

It was back in the days where a new 14" screen cost about 4-500 $ at least, so it was well worth several hours of work.

Cheers

solbjer

p.s. didn't singe myself :-)

which took quite a while, - but I got the screen going again.

really --ehhhh .well i would never attempt that my self probably melt the whole thing!! or zip my self --

itsmejjj

Shutting Down Of Pc

hi everybody,

Shutting down is not a simple process done by the Operating System.

If it was so it would cut off the power in seconds.

Actually this process is very importand and the OS make various Checks, settings, logs and so on. During Down-Load many problems can be revealed.

The ideal is to have an UPS system for your DESK-TOP PC. For laptops we have the installed battery.

Now if u don't have UPS on Desk or battery on Lap and the main power is switch-off accidentally or by lightnings and so on for normal operations usually is not a problem.

But defragging is supposed to be more serious.

Additionally when power is cut-off suddenly sometimes the electronic circuits do not prevent the generation of inductive-currents and the read/write head of a Hard-Disk can alter data on it at the point it passes that time.

Some times is a matter of restarting to correct, other times u have to simply boot in safe time and Shut-Down correctly or u have to run chkdsk/r or reinstall system or driver files.

note: the subject is not covered with these paragraphs here

cheers

Very good demitris

Additionally when power is lost the reading heads can fall down on the disks inside the harddisk and possibly make those impact points unreadable - this is one of the reasons that the computer usually starts up after a power failure with a check disk, I would recommend it to be a full chkdsk /r that also checks the empty space for bad blocks, so that they can be avoided when the reading heads move data around.

Good of you to remind us all of this demitris!!

Cheers

solbjerg

hi everybody,

Shutting down is not a simple process done by the Operating System.

If it was so it would cut off the power in seconds.

Actually this process is very importand and the OS make various Checks, settings, logs and so on. During Down-Load many problems can be revealed.

The ideal is to have an UPS system for your DESK-TOP PC. For laptops we have the installed battery.

Now if u don't have UPS on Desk or battery on Lap and the main power is switch-off accidentally or by lightnings and so on for normal operations usually is not a problem.

But defragging is supposed to be more serious.

Additionally when power is cut-off suddenly sometimes the electronic circuits do not prevent the generation of inductive-currents and the read/write head of a Hard-Disk can alter data on it at the point it passes that time.

Some times is a matter of restarting to correct, other times u have to simply boot in safe time and Shut-Down correctly or u have to run chkdsk/r or reinstall system or driver files.

note: the subject is not covered with these paragraphs here

cheers

Archived