IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

SmartRAM & understanding RAM

wozofoz

Where has my hard earned extra RAM gone ?

The setup:

Windows XP just idling in Desktop with no app launched except those launched at StartUp.

SmartRAM is and has always been launched at StartUp, I do not use it manually I just let it do it's thing in the background.

The figures:

2 weeks ago SmartRam in the SysBar would show a top figure of 570

I reduced the number of items in StartUp and changed some Services to Manual or Disabled and got it to an exciting top figure of 720. It stayed like this for 3 days

Yesterday and today it shows a top figure of 680

From the moment I got the top figure of 720, I have not added anything, I have not changed anything, a full ASC cleanup was done, Malware and Virus scans find nothing and I can't see anything strange running in Task manager.

The only things that have been added is Windows auto updates (if any) and Security360 updates.

I have been using Hibernation more lately (3 times a day) but I was using it occasionally (once a day) before as well

Could any of this be the reason for the falling figure or is there a very simple explanation like "it happens, welcome to the world of Windows" :wink:

All the best, woz of oz

Hi wozofoz,

Certainly, more frequent consecutive hibernation has a negative effect on available RAM.

I do use hibernation and I restart the OS after 2nd or 3rd one because of lacking any Virtual memory, as I had to reduce the available RAM because of some other reason.

Sometimes, I have observed higher RAM usage after Windows Updates, but I can not be sure of that for that amount.

I don't think IS 360 malware data updates have any effect on RAM usage.

Cheers.

Cheers

Thanks again enoskype :smile:

I knew that Hibernation would use up some RAM but mistakenly assumed only the same amount no matter how many times I did it, basically a copy/delete type situation.

This newfangled computer stuff can be quite mind boggling :oops:

I can happily go back to shutting my Netbook down when I am away for a longer period and just keep Hibernation enabled for safety.

All the best, woz of oz

wozofoz- The fact that you were able to boot XP for 280 MB of RAM is way ahead of the curve because most tests and actual XP boots that I have witnessed by very experienced users who have battled bloat for years use 380 MB of RAM at the desktop.

My experience using Smart Ram in Vista is that although it takes my RAM usage 100's of MB lower than it had ever been before I must use Smart RAM Deep Clean several times each day to retrieve memory loss in programs that begrudgingly give back the RAM that they are no longer using like the Comodo AV db update that occurs every 30 minutes.

~Maxx~

That's interesting Maxx, I thought I still had a long way to go.

Sitting here now with just FireFox running (plus Avast and ZoneAlarm) I am looking at 620 > 630 in the SmartRAM window so I guess I should be happy :smile:

Part of my initial high figures may have come about because of some of the Services I have set to Manual or Disable.

I followed the BlackViper Safe recommendations list and changed all but 2 (Time and Uninterruptible Power Supply)

Plus, since my Netbook is my only computer and is always used at public wifi hotspots (hotel, coffee shop etc) I had no need or want for WorkStation and other related Services, also, I don't have or need Fax or Printer.

From my research I found that these Services are always recommended to be left at Automatic but, as far as I can see, only because they are needed by 99% of users at some time

(Since this can be read by many, I just wanted to stress that most users would need these Services)

As for me, I have had no problems since changing them to Manual of Disable :smile:

All the best, woz of oz

• 1 month later...

Aye maxx!

I must also repeatedly use deep clean! I've noticed that by runnind deep clean a few times over a few hours... then it settles down. I also have not noticed that leaving smartram open in tray does anything at all until you open it.

Might be you're in the 1 percent woz!?!

I can see the difference, according to SmartRam.

A common scenario for me is, I have launched and am using FireFox and Jarte (notepad software) and have a few folders open.

SmartRam says about 700 free

I go make a cup of coffee and drink it, when I come back SmartRam says about 720 > 730 free.

I rarely do a Smart or Deep Clean as I find SmartRam will get to that level eventually anyway :smile:

All the best, woz of oz

A picture is worth a thousand words

I am concerned I have some processes running that are not necessary and slowly creep back eating memory unnecessarily. I am looking into this and getting educated in this as well.

Any input would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

If you take a screenshot of TaskManager > Prosesses and post it here we can have a look through the list.

Best to take the screeshot when your computer is just idling on Desktop then we can see what is always working in the background.

Having the list at A > Z is easier to work with too :smile:

All the best, woz of oz

• 1 month later...

Hi woz

True - It is just that the list is often longer than what can be captured with one screenshot.

Therefore I suggest that you make use of the command prompt.

Open command prompt - write tasklist.exe - hit enter. The list is then shown - hit ctrl+a to mark it all - hit ctrl+c to copy it - open Notepad - hit ctrl+v to paste it there - save it.

Edit: I am sorry - you cannot use ctrl+a/c in the command prompt - instead right click the blue top bar and choose mark All and then again right click blue top bar and choose copy - close the command prompt and from there follow rest of description! :-)

Then either attach the the Notepad file to your post or just paste the content of it in your post here.

The procedure is also described here: http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.p...3486#post13486

Cheers

solbjerg

If you take a screenshot of TaskManager > Prosesses and post it here we can have a look through the list.

Best to take the screeshot when your computer is just idling on Desktop then we can see what is always working in the background.

Having the list at A > Z is easier to work with too :smile:

All the best, woz of oz

Archived