IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

"Shortcuts Fixer" makes Vista Games disappear!!

Graham Newey

Please accept my apologies in advance if I SHOULD have posted this to an existing thread, but my problem seems to differ slightly from others I've found under "Search".

I ran "everything" under my newly acquired ASC.

When running "Shortcuts Fixer" it showed numerous problems found.

I FIXED/REPAIRED THEM ALL WITHOUT LOOKING AT THEM!!!!!

I know. I am a COMPLETE idiot. I PROMISE I won't do it again.

Anyway, at the end of my comp session I decided to have my usual game of "Solitaire".

Clicked>Start>Games and arrived at the Games window which shows all the usual icons. Double clicked the Solitaire icon but the game didn't start ,as it usually does. Instead, I got a "Saved Games" window which showed an EMPTY Microsoft Games sub folder.

This happened regardless of which game I wanted to play.

All my Vista games had apparently disappeared. This, of course, wasn't so, and after some research I found http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972035 which solved the problem and all my games miraculously reappeared. Phew!

So now I ran "Shortcuts Fixer" again, making sure to keep my eyes wide open!

Showed 47 problems found. ALL were .Ink files. ALL were shown as "Nonexistent Shortcut File". ALL related to integrated Vista Microsoft games.

The "Target" for each was----C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Games\[name of game]\[name of game.exe].

The locations were various.

To me they all appear to be items that should NOT be removed. Why is the tool showing them to be "Problems" that I should consider removing?

My OS is Vista Home Premium (64 bit). I see from similar threads that Mr. Solbjerg thinks there may be a problem with 64 bit vis a vis "Shortcuts Fixer". Any news on that front?

I would appreciate any views on this anomoly.

Look forward with interest to comments.

Regards,

Graham Newey

Graham

Can't give you one good reason why legitimate short-cuts are tagged as broken,non existent, or otherwise.On my Win7U rig,SF runs erratically-the graph goes back and forth like a tennis ball.When the conflict ends,I have 26 short-cut problems related to one program called Win 7 Manager.I further found deleting any of these results in re installation of that program.I've run ASC for quite some time on XP where it worked near flawless,but on Win7......Forgot to mention the errors for my two security programs which mysteriously went away on their own :shock:

Hi Graham

Thank you! Nice to see someone that actually finds related posts in the forum - unfortunately I haven't heard anything more regarding this problem. I do hope that IObit has noticed!! :-)

I will add your link to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972035 in the thread Usage of IObit Products in the Lounge section and describe the problem there too, thank you!! (will probably have to be in the post Miscellaneous because of insufficient room in the post that describes Shortcut Fix.)

In the description that are already there I mention that one can choose the possibility to repair the broken links instead of deleting them.

Hopefully your post will get some heads up!!

Cheers

solbjerg

Please accept my apologies in advance if I SHOULD have posted this to an existing thread, but my problem seems to differ slightly from others I've found under "Search".

I ran "everything" under my newly acquired ASC.

When running "Shortcuts Fixer" it showed numerous problems found.

I FIXED/REPAIRED THEM ALL WITHOUT LOOKING AT THEM!!!!!

I know. I am a COMPLETE idiot. I PROMISE I won't do it again.

Anyway, at the end of my comp session I decided to have my usual game of "Solitaire".

Clicked>Start>Games and arrived at the Games window which shows all the usual icons. Double clicked the Solitaire icon but the game didn't start ,as it usually does. Instead, I got a "Saved Games" window which showed an EMPTY Microsoft Games sub folder.

This happened regardless of which game I wanted to play.

All my Vista games had apparently disappeared. This, of course, wasn't so, and after some research I found http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972035 which solved the problem and all my games miraculously reappeared. Phew!

So now I ran "Shortcuts Fixer" again, making sure to keep my eyes wide open!

Showed 47 problems found. ALL were .Ink files. ALL were shown as "Nonexistent Shortcut File". ALL related to integrated Vista Microsoft games.

The "Target" for each was----C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Games\[name of game]\[name of game.exe].

The locations were various.

To me they all appear to be items that should NOT be removed. Why is the tool showing them to be "Problems" that I should consider removing?

My OS is Vista Home Premium (64 bit). I see from similar threads that Mr. Solbjerg thinks there may be a problem with 64 bit vis a vis "Shortcuts Fixer". Any news on that front?

I would appreciate any views on this anomoly.

Look forward with interest to comments.

Regards,

Graham Newey

Dear detailer and solbjerg,

Many thanks for your prompt responses

solbjerg--- Don't underatand your comment that one can "Repair" broken Links OR "Delete" them. No alternative surely? There is only a "Repair" button and when you click it you are asked if you want to "delete" the entry. So "Repair" and "Delete" are one and the same are they not? Am I missing something?

Now an interesting twist.

Ran SF this am and now I've got 61 problems found. Extra 14 all seem to refer to "Tablet PC Optional Components". I couldn't find "Snipping Tool " and had to uncheck and recheck appropriate box in "Windows features on and off".Found my "Snipping Tool" but also found the extra 14 entries in SF!What do you make of that then?!

If it's not too much trouble I'd be very interested to hear your further thoughts on this development.

I have not repaired/deleted these entries.

Thanks for putting my "name up in lights" in "Lounge". My wife is really impressed!

Regards,

Graham

Hi Graham

Sorry - I should have explained.

When the Shortcut Fixer has found a number of broken links you can view them - let the cursor hover over an item and read its address.

Let's say that it refers to a temporary recent file - in that case delete it, because that parent temporary file probably was deleted earlier by a cleanup.

The other method is to mark it and then choose properties and see what kind of file it is and what location it refers to.

In this case let's say that it refers to a document from your wife :-) that has the parent address My Documents, - in case you do not remember if you have moved it you can use Windows search to find its present location - you then copy that address and in the property window insert that as its real parent address - by now you will probably have remembered that you moved that file from My Documents into your Family folder a week ago :-)

In this last example the shortcut is now really repaired and functioning and should not be deleted.

It will not show up in you next run of shortcut fixer - unless you move your wife again - (hope she is really moved by all this moving around) :-)

Is this sufficiently well explained?

At least this was approximately what I meant by saying that you could repair the shortcut. :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Dear detailer and solbjerg,

Many thanks for your prompt responses

solbjerg--- Don't underatand your comment that one can "Repair" broken Links OR "Delete" them. No alternative surely? There is only a "Repair" button and when you click it you are asked if you want to "delete" the entry. So "Repair" and "Delete" are one and the same are they not? Am I missing something?

Now an interesting twist.

Ran SF this am and now I've got 61 problems found. Extra 14 all seem to refer to "Tablet PC Optional Components". I couldn't find "Snipping Tool " and had to uncheck and recheck appropriate box in "Windows features on and off".Found my "Snipping Tool" but also found the extra 14 entries in SF!What do you make of that then?!

If it's not too much trouble I'd be very interested to hear your further thoughts on this development.

I have not repaired/deleted these entries.

Thanks for putting my "name up in lights" in "Lounge". My wife is really impressed!

Regards,

Graham

Dear solbjerg,

Sorry for my tardiness. Got a few family crises on at the moment.

Thanks for your further comments which I shall take on board.

Will come back if everything does not become crystal clear!!

Thanks again.

Graham:-

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Solbjerg,

Back from crisis sorting.

Tried to follow your "tips" without a lot of success.

I've decided to play safe and leave my 61 problems to their own devices.

My Solitaire high score is now 3457. Nifty or what?!

Regards,

Graham

Well Graham

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2178&d=1256663683

One of my shortcuts with no parent

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2179&d=1256663710

The real file is placed in My Documents, but I had to send it to the one that wanted the calculation, so several shortcuts were generated that later had no parent file as those sent mails were deleted.

What I mean by Free space is Clearance - freeboard

If I wanted to keep the shortcut where it was placed I could change the parent address to My Documents

Cheers

solbjerg

Dear Solbjerg,

Back from crisis sorting.

Tried to follow your "tips" without a lot of success.

I've decided to play safe and leave my 61 problems to their own devices.

My Solitaire high score is now 3457. Nifty or what?!

Regards,

Graham

Archived