IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Smart Defrag From Task Scheduler

I have Smart Defrag scheduled to run from the Admin account on my PC. The task starts just fine but never stops running.

I defragged my C:\ drive using the Defrag Now option under my user account. After defragmenting was done I immediately ran it again using Defrag Now. The second time around defragging took less then 2 minutes. Then I closed the program.

After I closed the program I ran the Smart Defrag scheduled task. As you know it started and ran just fine but never stopped. I ran it over night. When I got in this morning it was still going. It should've been done in under 2 minutes so I'm interested in knowing if this is a bug or if there is a way for me to ensure that the task terminates as it should.

Thanks,

MJ

Hi mjwlaz

What are your settings? Do you have it on autodefrag too?

Perhaps a couple of screenshots would be good!

Cheers

solbjerg

I have Smart Defrag scheduled to run from the Admin account on my PC. The task starts just fine but never stops running.

I defragged my C:\ drive using the Defrag Now option under my user account. After defragmenting was done I immediately ran it again using Defrag Now. The second time around defragging took less then 2 minutes. Then I closed the program.

After I closed the program I ran the Smart Defrag scheduled task. As you know it started and ran just fine but never stopped. I ran it over night. When I got in this morning it was still going. It should've been done in under 2 minutes so I'm interested in knowing if this is a bug or if there is a way for me to ensure that the task terminates as it should.

Thanks,

MJ

Thanks for the reply. Here are the specifics.

• SmartDefrag is installed on a Windows XP Professional, SP3 - fully updated PC
  • The account I work in has limited user rights so to get SmartDefrag to work under my login (for Auto Defrag) I scripted it to run under the Administrator account
  • The Scheduled Task was set to be run from the local Admin account
  • Smart Defrag is supposed to be part of a PC maintenance script I wrote. It is the last step in the process. After it runs the computer needs to be rebooted. If the Scheduled Task never stops running then the restart can't be scripted.
  • Here are the contents of my Config.ini

[setting]

StartWithWindows=1

StopWhenBattary=1

SilentDefrag=1

AutoCheckUpdate=0

CloseMinimize=1

EnableTrayPrompt=0

EnableExclude=0

ExcludeSize=1048576

Language=English

LastAutoDefrag=39939.7353747569

C=39939.7353747569

[smartDefrag]

EnableSmartDefrag=1

EnableCpuLimit=1

CpuLimitValue=40

EnableAutoIdleTime=1

AutoIdleTime=5

[schedule]

EnableSchedule=1

DefragType=2

IsOptDefrag_Task=0

scheduledisk=C

[interface]

color[1]=15722479

color[2]=12632256

color[3]=13523233

color[4]=39168

color[5]=4227327

color[6]=2894892

color[7]=2702567

color[8]=16737945

I do use AutoDefrag - it's a key feature. The scheduled task runs SmartDefrag in Deep Optimize mode. I just ran Deep Optimize on my C Drive and it took 4 minutes to complete.

I will now run the scheduled task to rule in or out Deep Optimize as the culprit. The scheduled task has run now for 8 minutes and not completed.

Here's what I wonder. I looked under the Application Data file for the local Administrator and don't see an IOBit folder. Where is the config.ini file that powers SmartDefrag for the local admin?

You may have seen in one of my other posts that I identified that C:\IObit\SmartDefrag as the default location of the config.ini file. However I was corrected. I am going to try a fresh install of Smart Defrag later because I see that this directory exists on several PCs. Anyway . . .

if C:\IObit isn't supposed to exist then were is the default location of the config.ini file? Smart Defrag needs to create it for every user, right? If it's not copied from a default location how is it created?

The reason I'm asking is because I wonder (since I can't see the admin's desktop when running the scheduled task) if the task doesn't complete because SmartDefrag is waiting for me to address the stupid "Update" message box that pops up by default. If I can find the default config.ini I can supress the message box and retest.

Thanks for the help.

MJ

Hi mjwlaz

I do not quite understand the need for a sheduled defrag, when automatic defrag is activated.

Cheers

solbjerg

Thanks for the reply. Here are the specifics.

• SmartDefrag is installed on a Windows XP Professional, SP3 - fully updated PC
  • The account I work in has limited user rights so to get SmartDefrag to work under my login (for Auto Defrag) I scripted it to run under the Administrator account
  • The Scheduled Task was set to be run from the local Admin account
  • Smart Defrag is supposed to be part of a PC maintenance script I wrote. It is the last step in the process. After it runs the computer needs to be rebooted. If the Scheduled Task never stops running then the restart can't be scripted.
  • Here are the contents of my Config.ini

[setting]

StartWithWindows=1

StopWhenBattary=1

SilentDefrag=1

AutoCheckUpdate=0

CloseMinimize=1

EnableTrayPrompt=0

EnableExclude=0

ExcludeSize=1048576

Language=English

LastAutoDefrag=39939.7353747569

C=39939.7353747569

[smartDefrag]

EnableSmartDefrag=1

EnableCpuLimit=1

CpuLimitValue=40

EnableAutoIdleTime=1

AutoIdleTime=5

[schedule]

EnableSchedule=1

DefragType=2

IsOptDefrag_Task=0

scheduledisk=C

[interface]

color[1]=15722479

color[2]=12632256

color[3]=13523233

color[4]=39168

color[5]=4227327

color[6]=2894892

color[7]=2702567

color[8]=16737945

I do use AutoDefrag - it's a key feature. The scheduled task runs SmartDefrag in Deep Optimize mode. I just ran Deep Optimize on my C Drive and it took 4 minutes to complete.

I will now run the scheduled task to rule in or out Deep Optimize as the culprit. The scheduled task has run now for 8 minutes and not completed.

Here's what I wonder. I looked under the Application Data file for the local Administrator and don't see an IOBit folder. Where is the config.ini file that powers SmartDefrag for the local admin?

You may have seen in one of my other posts that I identified that C:\IObit\SmartDefrag as the default location of the config.ini file. However I was corrected. I am going to try a fresh install of Smart Defrag later because I see that this directory exists on several PCs. Anyway . . .

if C:\IObit isn't supposed to exist then were is the default location of the config.ini file? Smart Defrag needs to create it for every user, right? If it's not copied from a default location how is it created?

The reason I'm asking is because I wonder (since I can't see the admin's desktop when running the scheduled task) if the task doesn't complete because SmartDefrag is waiting for me to address the stupid "Update" message box that pops up by default. If I can find the default config.ini I can supress the message box and retest.

Thanks for the help.

MJ

Thanks guys for they reply. I'd like to have one more crack at it if you'll keep up with me.

solbjerg: AutoDefrag . . .defrags. When SmartDefrag runs in a schedule it Deep Optimizes. That's why I have both.

enoskype: Thanks for the post link. You may have seen my post in that thread - I was already there ;)

What I still don't know is why my scheduled task never ends. Can we look at that again. The last best theory that I had is that the nag screen to update SmartDefrag is never addressed - since the scheduled task runs in an account that is never logged into.

Based on this idea I wondered (aloud) how the config.ini file is created. This question has yet to be answered. Here's the significance:

The file is created on a per-user basis which can be determined by the location of the config.ini file as ensoskype has pointed out.

Of course the config.ini file must be created from somewhere. Where?

Once the program is installed to the PC is a "default" config.ini file stored somewhere?

Does the executable create the config.ini file on the fly every time a new user logs onto the PC?

It has to come from] somewhere before it can get to the AppData file in each user's account.

Knowing this may help me thwart the default behavior of SmartDefrag by replacing the default config.ini file with a custom tailored config.ini file. THEN, perhaps, the scheduled task will stop running - remember my theory is that the "update" nag screen is keeping the task open and I can use the config.ini file to make sure it doesn't open for every user of the PC.

I am super-duper interested in other ideas about why the task won't terminate but in the interim if you could help me prove/disprove my idea by answering the questions above I would REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks again for hanging in their with me.

MJ

More observations:

I installed IOBit on a Windows XP machine that did not have it installed prior. I also used ZSoft Unistaller to monitor the changes made to the PC. Based on what I can see in the ZS0ft logs I will conclude that the config.ini file automagically appears when the program is started for the first time.

Adding my custom config.ini file to the Administrator's AppData location did not change the results of the scheduled task.

The scheduled task still doesn't terminate in a timely fashion (point of reference is the Deep Optimize scan I did from my own account prior to exiting SmartDefrag and running the scheduled task).

Terminating the scheduled task does terminate SmartDefrag but there is a delay (approx 2 mins) between when the app terminates and when the scheduled task is terminated.

More Observations:

Perhaps the "Update" nag screen isn't the problem at all. Given that I replaced the Administrator's config.ini file with one that had the update message disabled.

Could it be the report that pops up upon completion?!?! Is there a way to disable this report from showing in the config.ini file? Does it need to be disabled for the task scheduler to complete and SmartDefrag to terminate upon its completion?

So where's that leave me? Well at this point I would say that there is a bug in SmartDefrag that doesn't allow the scheduled task to terminate upon completion. More specifically, a Deep Optimize task does not terminate when run through the Task Scheduler. Has anyone else run into this?

What version of Smart defrag do you have ?

..... The reason I'm asking is because I wonder (since I can't see the admin's desktop when running the scheduled task) if the task doesn't complete because SmartDefrag is waiting for me to address the stupid "Update" message box that pops up by default. If I can find the default config.ini I can supress the message box and retest.

I know nothing about writing scripts and ini files so I am no help there

Also, I know you go on to say that the "Update" message box may not be the problem but I never get this "Update" message box so I wonder why you do.

Do you have version 1.20 (I do)

Do you have Automatically check for updates ticked in Options (I don't)

All the best, woz of oz

Hi mjwlaz

Do you run the automatic defrag and at the same time the scheduled defrag?

In that case I would advise to settle for one of them only.

I have had no problem running either of them one by one.

Cheers

solbjerg

More observations:

I installed IOBit on a Windows XP machine that did not have it installed prior. I also used ZSoft Unistaller to monitor the changes made to the PC. Based on what I can see in the ZS0ft logs I will conclude that the config.ini file automagically appears when the program is started for the first time.

Adding my custom config.ini file to the Administrator's AppData location did not change the results of the scheduled task.

The scheduled task still doesn't terminate in a timely fashion (point of reference is the Deep Optimize scan I did from my own account prior to exiting SmartDefrag and running the scheduled task).

Terminating the scheduled task does terminate SmartDefrag but there is a delay (approx 2 mins) between when the app terminates and when the scheduled task is terminated.

More Observations:

Perhaps the "Update" nag screen isn't the problem at all. Given that I replaced the Administrator's config.ini file with one that had the update message disabled.

Could it be the report that pops up upon completion?!?! Is there a way to disable this report from showing in the config.ini file? Does it need to be disabled for the task scheduler to complete and SmartDefrag to terminate upon its completion?

So where's that leave me? Well at this point I would say that there is a bug in SmartDefrag that doesn't allow the scheduled task to terminate upon completion. More specifically, a Deep Optimize task does not terminate when run through the Task Scheduler. Has anyone else run into this?

Thanks again for the replies guys. Here I will supply a little more information.

I have SmartDefrag 1.11 installed on 50 computers on my network.

Every user has limited rights on their PC. I use a startup script to make sure that SmartDefrag runs regardless of who logs into the PC (sparing details here for the sake of brevity).

SmartDefrag is configured on every PC as such (only checked boxes listed):

Auto Defrag: Enabled, Pause when resource usage exceeds 20%, Start when the system has been idle for 5 minutes

Options: Minimize to tray when program is closed, load automatically at windows startup, Enable SmartSilent technology, Stop defrag on battery

I have things configured this way so that AutoDefrag runs on every PC and keeps the computer tidy in between monthly maintenance. During the monthly maintenance the SmartDefrag scheduled task runs a Deep Optimize job on the C:\ drive.

I copied the config.ini file to every computer on the network in a login script. I also have the config.ini file copied to the local Admin's AppData folder.

The local Admin's account is never (for the purposes of this post) logged into. The local Admin's credentials are just used to run the scheduled task.

So are you suggesting that the settings that I've referenced above are forcing the job to never end? Which ones?

The default SmartDefrag settings have AutoDefrag enabled. So doesn't it stand to reason that SmartDefrag can successfully complete a scheduled task despite the fact that AutoDefrag is on?

Here's a big question!!! The local Admin's account hasn't been logged into on several of my PCs. Since it's never been logged into SmartDefrag hasn't gotten a chance to run under it and therefore the config.ini file hasn't been created for the local admin. Sooooo . . .

if a config.ini file isn't created to control SmartDefrag under the local Admin account then when the scheduled task runs as the local Admin what set of criteria (checkboxes in the program GUI, options in the config.ini) is controlling how the program runs under the administrator account?

Thanks for helping me understand. I will be creating a totally different config.ini file to put under the local Admin account to see if I can control SmartDefrag's behavior during the scheduled task. I'll report back with my findings.

Thanks,

MJ

BTW . . . testing using v1.20 didn't have any affect on the outcome.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived