IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

auto defrag and SSD

as there is no reason to defrag a SSD, it should be avoided because it wears the FLASH down.

how do you set smart defrag to ingore SSDs when doing auto-defrag?

PS: its not possible to search for SSD in this forum because the min length for a search term is 4.

Hi suntox

Try Solid State Disk in advanced search or try Flash in default search.

Cheers

solbjerg

as there is no reason to defrag a SSD, it should be avoided because it wears the FLASH down.

how do you set smart defrag to ingore SSDs when doing auto-defrag?

PS: its not possible to search for SSD in this forum because the min length for a search term is 4.

thanks, tried it, but didnt show me how to turn off defrag of SSDs or if smart defrag recognizes them automaticaly and avoids them.

Hi suntox :-)

I'm a bit confused.

When you say SSD do you mean you have a computer that has HardDrive and SSD built in ?

Or

When you say SSD, do you mean a FlashDrive (thumbdrive) or a SD/SDHC card ?

I have a 2 GB SD card that is always in my NetBook plus I plug in a 16 GB FlashDrive (USB) sometimes.

When I launch SmartDefrag neither of these is recognized, only my C Drive (HardDisk) is.

I would assume SmartDefrag would not attempt to defrag the Card and the FlashDrive if it doesn't recognize them

All the best, woz of oz

i'm considering to buy a small "solid state disk" (SSD, an internal harddrive with flash technology, with <.1ms access time and up to 270mb/s read speed or so) for the system volume (c:\) which is currently on a raptor 10k rpm disk (which i could put to other use then).

but i want to keep smart defrag. so if i cant tell smart defrag to "defrag all drives except c:/, a second raptor might be the better choice as they arent particularely slow either.

defraging SSDs should be avoided as it does not improve their speed, it just massively reduces their lifetime.

edit: here are some SSDs http://www.alternate.de/html/categoryListing.html?cat1=172&cat2=278&cat3=0&cat1=172&cat2=442&cat3=0&cat1=172&cat2=304&cat3=0&bfbox=0&&tn=HARDWARE&l1=Festplatten&l2=Solid+State+Drive&l3=SATA&

Hi suntox

Without knowing for sure I would suggest not to use the automatic defrag function and select the drives to be defragged in the scheduled defrag and of course when you defrag manually.

Cheers

solbjerg

i'm considering to buy a small "solid state disk" (SSD, an internal harddrive with flash technology, with <.1ms access time and up to 270mb/s read speed or so) for the system volume (c:\) which is currently on a raptor 10k rpm disk (which i could put to other use then).

but i want to keep smart defrag. so if i cant tell smart defrag to "defrag all drives except c:/, a second raptor might be the better choice as they arent particularely slow either.

defraging SSDs should be avoided as it does not improve their speed, it just massively reduces their lifetime.

edit: here are some SSDs http://www.alternate.de/html/categoryListing.html?cat1=172&cat2=278&cat3=0&cat1=172&cat2=442&cat3=0&cat1=172&cat2=304&cat3=0&bfbox=0&&tn=HARDWARE&l1=Festplatten&l2=Solid+State+Drive&l3=SATA&

thanks. maybe you could forward this problem to the devs for future versions of smart defrag? SSDs are pretty expensive (price per Gb) atm, but for around 100 euros there are already dencent ones more then large enough to host the OS and most used apps. they will surely become more and more common rather quick.

maybe smart defrag should also warn about SSDs as its a very bad idea to defrag those disks due to their limited lifespan. people probably wouldnt be very happy to figgure this out after using smart defrag together with a SSD for half a year or longer.

Hi suntox

I expect the IObit administrators will read you post.

Doesn't the Solid State Disks come with a warning about defragging them?

I my opinion they should.

Cheers

solbjerg

thanks. maybe you could forward this problem to the devs for future versions of smart defrag? SSDs are pretty expensive (price per Gb) atm, but for around 100 euros there are already dencent ones more then large enough to host the OS and most used apps. they will surely become more and more common rather quick.

maybe smart defrag should also warn about SSDs as its a very bad idea to defrag those disks due to their limited lifespan. people probably wouldnt be very happy to figgure this out after using smart defrag together with a SSD for half a year or longer.

they most likely do have a warning about it, but many ppl dont read manuals. what i'm thinking though is that to have to stop using smart defrags "auto-defrag" feature when you buy such a disc is probably not a good idea. at least for me the autodefrag option is why i use smart defrag since ages. smart defrag and zonealarm are the basics for any comp imho ;)

Hi suntox

Ok, my best guess is that IObit is aware and is doing something about it.

In the meantime there is the scheduling function, that in a way is an automatic function too, only it doesn't run incessantly (in my opinion a good thing) but there you can choose the drives that needs defragmenting from time to time.

Cheers

solbjerg

they most likely do have a warning about it, but many ppl dont read manuals. what i'm thinking though is that to have to stop using smart defrags "auto-defrag" feature when you buy such a disc is probably not a good idea. at least for me the autodefrag option is why i use smart defrag since ages. smart defrag and zonealarm are the basics for any comp imho ;)

• 3 weeks later...

hi suntox

your absolutely right about the unnecessary defragmetation of flash type memories.

they include no moving parts, so the speed of acess can not improve significantly after defragmetation.

a defragmentation of flash type memory reduces the life span of it indeed but since the usual practice now it is to use a HARD-Disk as the system drive c: u can not set SMART-DEFRAG to omit it in auto-defrag.

Since a defragmentation is not necessary on a frequent base .

u can perform it manually every two or three weeks on a manual base where u can exclude your drive c: of flash type.

cheers

There is a new option in Smart Defrag 1.3

Hi demitris,

In the most recent version 1.3 of Smart Defrag, there is a new option, where you can auto defrag the volumes independently, so if you have an SSD main OS drive, say as C:, you can exclude it from Auto defrag.

Cheers.

Archived