IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Hi Rez Pictures of Real Places and Other Things...

Maxxwire

Thanks Maxx

Puts me in mind of my years as forest worker.

Worked for a while in the forests of Sweden.

The job I liked best was pulling out the logs on a sledge with a horse.

Could be really exiting going down steep hillsides standing on top of the logs and the horse running for his life.

Every morning greeting the mooses when I passed them in the first light of the morning sun, feeling free and happy and strong.

Met a guy from California there that wanted to become an author, I have forgotten his name (Thor maybe), - wonder if his dream came true. He was studying on one of the Universities in Sweden but had taken some leave to earn some money. Met my first wife there too.

Cheers

solbjerg

'Winter Stream' in Hi Rez Format

solbjerg- Here is a photo of a much cooler December scene of a small stream flowing into the river out in back of my Dad's house.

~Maxx~

solbjerg- I literally broke out laughing when you said.. "The job I like best was pulling out the logs on a sledge with a horse. Could be really exiting going down steep hillsides standing on top of the logs and the horse running for his life.":lol:

Your description of working out in the woods is reminiscent of my family's history here in the Pacific Northwest which began in the early 1860's when my Great Great Great Grandfather came west on the Oregon Trail and built a logging mill in a town that still bears our family name. From your story I think that old American Pioneer would have enjoyed your company very much!

~Maxx~

Hi Maxx

My grandmother (born 1885 - died 1984) had a cousin that went to America, he had a farm in Plentywood Montana near the Canadian border. Shortly before he died he returned to Denmark, - I have never met him, but I have read his journal.

About going down hillsides on a sledge with timber logs I can tell you that you had to be ready to jump instantly if you made a mistake in guiding the horse with the reins, but it was fun. :-)

And you developed a relationship with your horse, so that you never felt alone or bored working high in the hills/mountains alone - just me and my horse.

Would have liked to talk to one of the old settlers from back then.

Cheers

solbjerg

solbjerg- I literally broke out laughing when you said.. "The job I liked best was pulling out the logs on a sledge with a horse. Could be really exiting going down steep hillsides standing on top of the logs and the horse running for his life.":lol:

Your description of working out in the woods is reminiscent of my family's history here in the Pacific Northwest which began in the early 1860's when my Great Great Great Grandfather came west on the Oregon Trail and built a logging mill in a town that still bears our family name. From your story I think that old American Pioneer would have enjoyed your company very much!

~Maxx~

'The Rocky Mountains From 6 Miles High' in Hi Rez Format

solbjerg- I have relatives in Billings Montana and I spent 2 summers in Bozeman long before Ted Turner moved there while my Dad finished his Masters Degree in Art. From your description you would fare quite well in the rugged Pacific Northwest and the Big Sky country of Montana.

~Maxx~

solbjerg- As you probably already know Portland is located right where the Willamette river which is the only major river in North America that flows north meets the mighty Columbia river and they provide an abundance of colorful coarse aggregate for the washed concrete sidewalk that we see the fallen red leaf has fallen on. I have even seen building facades that were made with washed concrete tilt up panels made from select 3/8" pea gravel which was originally dredged out of the Willamette river which contained an amazing array of colorful rocks that would never be used in a routine county spec sidewalk pour.

~Maxx~

Hi Maxx

Interesting for an old concreter like me.

I once made the foundation for a weight for measuring the load of lorries/trucks (don't recall the name for it right now) (truck scale) this concrete had to be very, very strong, so as an experiment we also used granite powder in the mix.

The result gave a finish to the walls that looked like a very shiny black mirror.

Actually a shame that it was all hidden under ground level :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

solbjerg- As you probably already know Portland is located right where the Willamette river which is the only major river in North America that flows north meets the mighty Columbia river and they provide an abundance of colorful coarse aggregate for the washed concrete sidewalk that we see the fallen red leaf has fallen on. I have even seen building facades that were made with washed concrete tilt up panels made from select 3/8" pea gravel which was originally dredged out of the Willamette river which contained an amazing array of colorful rocks that would never be used in a routine county spec sidewalk pour.

~Maxx~

'Texas Star' in Hi Rez Format

During my trip to Texas this last fall we asked around this little town we found ourselves in where might be an interesting place to have dinner and everyone we asked had the same answer. Tucked away in what was once a hospital which was built back in the wild west days was a restaurant in the now remodeled basement. The word rustic does not begin to describe the atmosphere and this Texas Star with the diffused lighting behind it set the mood.

~Maxx~

'The Great Blue Heron' in Hi Rez Format

My Dad and I went out to a local game reserve for a photoshoot and we came across this endangered Great Blue Heron getting ready to eat his lunch. At the time he was about 300 meters off in the distance because they never let you get too close to the wildlife.

There was a fellow just a few feet from me trying to get a decent shot with his Nikon 200 mm telephoto lens and eventually gave up because the Great Blue Heron was just too far off. Fortunately my camera can shoot at 930 mm focal length and so I was able to zoom right in and get this shot although the picture you see here is slightly cropped from the original for aesthetic reasons.

~Maxx~

'China Gate' and 'China Gate in Detail' in Hi Rez Format.

It was just before the Lunar New Year that I took this picture of what is known as Portland's China gate which arrived here from Taiwan just few years after I returned from there. I've always marveled at the intricate and truly old world craftsmanship that went into this work of art. The most difficult part for me about taking this picture was getting the birds to cooperate and stay in frame. They're very independent you know!

~Maxx~

'Ice Abstraction' in Hi Rez Format

Taking into account that Portland is located at 45.48 degrees latitude we had quite a snowstorm come through last week. The first picture that caught my eye was this abstraction taken from a frozen waterfall. At 2.23 MB it contains by far the most detail of any picture I have posted on this thread thus far.

~Maxx~

Archived