IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Speed of defrag

When I had Windows XP defrag was fast. When I got new computer with Vista - defrag and Fast Optimize slowed way down. What used to take 10-15 min was taking 1-2 hrs. Now I have Windows 7 and the defrag says it will take 23 hrs! I tried running it and after 3 hrs canceled. Any idea why it would do this? It is updated. No new big programs were added to computer.

hi cal

The time left timer doesn't work well, hasn't for a long while, so do not trust it to tell you how much time is left, - possible exception when you run a Just Defrag.

This problem has been mentioned in many threads, and possibly the next update from IObit SmartDefrag will have a solution to this. They are aware of the problem!

The first defrag always takes a longer time than the succeding ones.

How much time depends on the size of your disk, how much free space and the amount of data on the disk - not to mention the fragmentation status. :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

When I had Windows XP defrag was fast. When I got new computer with Vista - defrag and Fast Optimize slowed way down. What used to take 10-15 min was taking 1-2 hrs. Now I have Windows 7 and the defrag says it will take 23 hrs! I tried running it and after 3 hrs canceled. Any idea why it would do this? It is updated. No new big programs were added to computer.

Hi cal

The time left timer does not work well, hasn't for a long time.

Many posts about it in the forum, and IObit also tried to repair it at one time, - I think it helped in the Just Defrag defragmentation, which by me shows the time left correctly.

The first defrag can take a long time, depending upon disk size, % of free space, amount of data and fragmentation status. Subsequent defragmenting will be done more quickly usually.

Cheers

solbjerg

Archived