IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Smart Defrag 1.30 available.

enoskype

Smart Defrag 1.30 available. (November 12,2009)

.....................................................http://www.iobit.com/Images/Contents_Right_Solutions_Button_2.gif

..................................................from MajorGeeks

Setup File: DefragSetup.exe (3586 KB)

Application File: IObit SmartDefrag.exe (1950 KB)

Application File version: 1.3.0.30

Smart Defrag Update History

------------------------------

1.30 (Nov 12, 2009)

+ Added Auto-defrag for chosen volumes

* Fixed general bugs

Tip: You can highly improve defragmenting speed by temporarily disabling the background real-time security program, or adding Smart Defrag into the trust zone or white list of your security program.

Strange behavior

Version 1.3

If I do a Defrag Only the report is 0 fragmented files at the end of the session and the color blocks show this as well.

If I then do a Quick or Deep Optimize and watch the color blocks some ok files are being fragmented but the report says 0 fragmented files at the end of the session.

If I then immediately Analize it says there are fragmented files which is the same as the color blocks indicate :???:

It seems some files are being fragmented during a Quick or Deep Optimize.

Anyone else see this ?

All the best, woz of oz

Hi wozofoz :-)

Fragmented files are files that are fragmented in the sense that some parts of the file is placed not adjacent to the other parts.

Optimized files are files that are placed on the fastest tracks of the disc according to how much we use them and at the same time together with the rest of the fragments of that file.

These files are often the same as we tend to fool around with the same things every day :-)

Every time we give a command or hit a button the files will become a little bit fragmented, this goes for both fragments and optimization.

If some automatic functions runs in the background, the fragmentation starts immediately after defragmenting. So we will never have a disc that are completely 100% without fragments.

Actually I think that if files are in use, the defragmenting will skip them, otherwise we could easily get into a situation where the function the background process was performing would be disrupted and the functioning impaired.

For a small amount of fragmentation I do not think you would be able to detect any difference in speed even with advanced equipment, but with heavily fragmented discs we can notice it with our senses.

enoskypes thread "Thinking about Defragmentation" explains quite a bit about this function - it is therefore a recommended read :-).

Cheers

solbjerg

Version 1.3

If I do a Defrag Only the report is 0 fragmented files at the end of the session and the color blocks show this as well.

If I then do a Quick or Deep Optimize and watch the color blocks some ok files are being fragmented but the report says 0 fragmented files at the end of the session.

If I then immediately Analize it says there are fragmented files which is the same as the color blocks indicate :???:

It seems some files are being fragmented during a Quick or Deep Optimize.

Anyone else see this ?

All the best, woz of oz

It's all good under the hood

Thanks for the reply :smile:

I didn't think there was a real 'problem' with this but I had never seen happen it with version 1.2, and yes, I do sit there and watch the colored blocks bounce around :smile:

Also, I had done a Deep Optimize with Version 1.2 about 2 hours before installing Version 1.3 (today was my weekly Clean & Tuneup day) so when I decided to see what Version 1.3 would do I was surprised to find that another Deep Optimize was taking quite a while and the number of Immovable Files was less.

From my short experience with Version 1.3 it does seem to be an improvement on Version 1.2, which is amazing because Version 1.2 was/is brilliant.

The best just got better :smile:

Edit: By the way, I always turn Off as many running software as possible (the whole of Comodo & SmartRAM & WiFi etc) before I do my weekly Deep Optimize.

I sometimes do a Deep Optimize in Safe Mode, if i have the time ;-)

All the best, woz of oz

Hi woz

Do you remember the Windows defragmenting in Win95 and Win98 ?

I used to use it for relaxation to sit and watch the slow progress while drinking coffee and smoking. - Those were the days --- :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Thanks for the reply

I didn't think there was a real 'problem' with this but I had never seen happen it with version 1.2, and yes, I do sit there and watch the colored blocks bounce around :smile:

Also, I had done a Deep Optimize with Version 1.2 about 2 hours before installing Version 1.3 (today was my weekly Clean & Tuneup day) so when I decided to see what Version 1.3 would do I was surprised to find that another Deep Optimize was taking quite a while and the number of Immovable Files was less.

From my short experience with Version 1.3 it does seem to be an improvement on Version 1.2, which is amazing because Version 1.2 was/is brilliant.

The best just got better :smile:

Edit: By the way, I always turn Off as many running software as possible (the whole of Comodo & SmartRAM & WiFi etc) before I do my weekly Deep Optimize.

I sometimes do a Deep Optimize in Safe Mode, if i have the time ;-)

All the best, woz of oz

Good idea maybe

I don't know what the policy of IObit is but I think the present situation is a smart idea.

Release it on the forum early and see what the reaction is, a bit like a final test. Forum members tend to like to be involved in the process :wink:

Users who find out about the update and download it through the forum will automaticallty make a comment if they feel something is not right. In some cases they will comment on how great it is.

After some time has passed the update can be downloaded through the software by other users.

We must remember that there are many, many IObit customers/users who do not even know this forum exists, they just unstall the software, let it run and when their computer gets slow they use it to do a cleanup.

These folks have no interest in how or why it works they just want it to work, and that's fair enough too.

What we might call a 'minor' software problem can lead to stress for those users who have no interest in the inner workings of their computer and software.

A simple procedure (or, simple to us) like a 'clean install' might seem like too much bother to these users and possibly cause them to completely give up on the software and the protection it offers.

We certainly don't want that

All the best, woz of oz

Archived