IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Security Defense keeps reporting the same problem

NormanF

I have a problem understanding the way that Security Defense works and the significance of the messages I receive.

I have searched the forum and read this item http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?p=2269#post2269

which is often referred to in replies.

This is my problem:-

1. I select Security Defense and click on “Scan”.

2. Security Defense reports “218 problems found”

3. I click on “Repair”

4. Security Defense reports “Problems fixed”

The problem is that if I wait a few hours and then re-scan, Security Defense finds 218 problems and I have to go through the whole process again. (Steps 1 to 4)

When I click on the “Problems Resolved” link, I am taken to a page from which I can obtain the following information:-

Infection Defense: 4565 of 4595 protected

Website Defense: 4810 of 4810 protected

Cookies Defense: 218 of 218 protected

What I am trying to understand is the connection between the report every few hours

:- Security Defense reports “218 problems found”

And

:-Cookies Defense: 218 of 218 protected

It might mean:-

“Since you last scanned Security Defense a few hours ago there was an attempt to download 218 cookies to your computer. Advanced SystemCare prevented this from happening but we list the cookies in order that you can check if there are any of the 218 that you would prefer to keep.”

Or it might mean:-

“I know that you told us a few hours ago that you want to block these 218 cookies but we choose to remind you that they are still being blocked just in case the situation has changed”

Or then again it might mean:-

“Once you block the cookies, they are supposed to stay blocked. However there is a fault with Security Defense which prevents this from happening”

Could you please tell me if any of these three suggestions are correct and if not what you think is causing the problem?

Cheers

NormanF

Hi NormanF,

Your last assumption may well be correct, but there must be something blocking ASC for the process of immunizing the PC against unwanted cookies.

Did you try clicking on the 218 problems found. of Security Defence to see the details?

Please click on that link to open the Details: Security Defence window, and click on Cookies Defense on the left pane. Click on Select All button and then Apply button. See if all the cookies are (blocked).

Click the Repair button. After completion, exit ASC, then re-start ASC to Scan again to see if there is any problems found in Security Defence.

Cheers.

Hi

Thanks for your rapid reply.

I have tried what you suggest and the situation is:-

When I click on the 218 problems link I find that there are indeed 218 cookies unchecked.

When I check them all and apply and close the page I find that the 218 problems message is still there.

When I click on Repair I get the Problem Resolved message.

When I click on Problem Resolved I find that the 218 cookies are still all checked.

If I run security defense at roughly 30 minute intervals thereafter, I get a "No Problems" message for about 3 to 5 hours after which the cookies become unchecked and are reported.

There is never a problem with the Infections Defense or the Website Defense items. They stay checked.

Cheers

NormanF

Hi Enoskype

I will do as you ask as soon as the 218 items show.

I turned my computer off last night and when I switched on this morning a security defense scan showed:-

No Problems

218 of 218 protected

If the problem runs true to form, sometime about noon a security defense scan will find 218 problems and I will carry out the check you requested.

Cheers

NormanF

Hi Enoskype

218 items reappeared.

Ran Security Defense

Problem Solved

Re-started Computer

Found that all 218 cookies were still checked.

Does that help?

Cheers

NormanF

Hi NormanF,

Thank you, so we know that they are not changed on startup of the PC by any other program.

Now we have to be sure that, it is not ASC doing the change. So after repair and everything concerning cookies are blocked, please exit ASC, and after more than the time you experienced passed for the changes, see if starting the ASC again will reveal blocked, or unblocked cookies.

The other thing you can look is the Event Viewer, where you can see approximately what action is done at the time of the blocking change.

What are the security softwares you are using?

Also, please inform about the OS and the summary of the hardware.

BTW, since you have read the post that you mentioned in your first post, you can check the cookies if they are there in IE after Repair, and if they dissapear from there when ASC shows that 218 items are not blocked.

If you are familiar with Registry Editor, you can check them as below:

You can also add a Web site to enable or to block cookies based on the Web site, regardless of the privacy policy on the Web site. Those registry keys are stored in the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\P3P\History

Domains that have been added as a managed site are listed under this subkey. These domains can carry either of the following DWORD values:

0x00000005 - Always Block

0x00000001 - Always Allow

Cheers.

Hi Enoskype

Once again we start the new day with 218 of 218 cookies protected. Periodically I will click on the “No Problems” link and check that we still have 218 of 218 cookies protected.

As you will now be aware the fault takes several hours to occur which may in itself be a clue (?)

In the meantime let me give you my take exactly what the cookies bit of Security Defense is and what it does.

I think that the cookies section is simply a list of 218 cookies compiled by Advanced SystemCare on the basis that they are nasties that nobody would want on their computer.

If an attempt is made to download any of these cookies to my computer, ASC prevents this from happening.

However in order to give me some control of this list, ASC includes a tick box against each cookie so that if there is one or more that I really do not want to block I can un-tick it.

Should an un-ticked cookie then try and access my computer ASC will allow this to happen.

When this situation first arose, I clicked on the 218 problems link and found myself looking at a page of 4565 items on the Infection Defense page. In my ignorance I interpreted this as notification that (since all these items were ticked) all these had been downloaded to my computer.

I now believe I was totally wrong and that Infection Defense, Website Defense and Cookies Defense are just lists and that in all probability the majority of the items listed have never been anywhere near my computer and even if they had, ASC would have prevented them from downloading.

Is the above correct?

Cheers

NormanF

Hi Norman

Yes it is correct!

When you check the security defense

You have these three sectors to look at (see attachment)

When looking at them you click the button "select all" then "apply" then you move to the next sector and do the same and finally to the last sector and do the same and then end it with clicking on the button OK

Have you by any chance placed those 218 cookies in the ignore list?

If so delete them there.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. I added a screenshot from IS360 since we are in that section :-)

p.p.s. I think we should try a Clean Install:

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?p=11513#post11513

Hi Enoskype

Once again we start the new day with 218 of 218 cookies protected. Periodically I will click on the “No Problems” link and check that we still have 218 of 218 cookies protected.

As you will now be aware the fault takes several hours to occur which may in itself be a clue (?)

In the meantime let me give you my take exactly what the cookies bit of Security Defense is and what it does.

I think that the cookies section is simply a list of 218 cookies compiled by Advanced SystemCare on the basis that they are nasties that nobody would want on their computer.

If an attempt is made to download any of these cookies to my computer, ASC prevents this from happening.

However in order to give me some control of this list, ASC includes a tick box against each cookie so that if there is one or more that I really do not want to block I can un-tick it.

Should an un-ticked cookie then try and access my computer ASC will allow this to happen.

When this situation first arose, I clicked on the 218 problems link and found myself looking at a page of 4565 items on the Infection Defense page. In my ignorance I interpreted this as notification that (since all these items were ticked) all these had been downloaded to my computer.

I now believe I was totally wrong and that Infection Defense, Website Defense and Cookies Defense are just lists and that in all probability the majority of the items listed have never been anywhere near my computer and even if they had, ASC would have prevented them from downloading.

Is the above correct?

Cheers

NormanF

Well my friend - you are our prime mover!! :-)

And doing a great job I might add :-)

I would like to hear what Norman got out of a Clean Install - followed to the letter! :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg,

Sorry, I should have moved the thread to this section before, as the issue is concerned ASC.

Hi NormanF,

Yes, it is absolutely correct as solbjerg points out.

Can you give us the latest picture of the issue?

Cheers.

Hi enoskype

Yesterday I carried out a Clean Install of ASC followed by an investigation of the cookie blocker function.

Here are my findings:

ASC can exist on my computer in two States which I shall call “Normal” and “Faulty”. This is how I define them:-

Normal State

When I switch on the computer in the morning and carry out a Security Defense scan the “no problems” link appears.

When I click on the no problems link and display the cookies page I see that 218 of 218 are protected.

Faulty State

When I click on the no problems link and display the cookies page I see that 218 of 218 are protected.

However if I scan Security Defense the “218 problems” link appears.

When I click on the 218 problems link and display the cookies page I see that all 218 cookies are un-protected.

If I then click on “Repair” I get the “Problems Fixed” message.

If I then revisit the cookies page I see that 218 of 218 are protected. In other words ASC is back in the Normal State.

As I have explained before ASC starts the day in the Normal State and then after 3 to 5 hours it switches to the Faulty State.

If I then scan Security Defense and return it to the Normal State it remains in the Normal State for another 3 to 5 hours then switches to the Faulty State.

What I am hoping is that there are some clues here that will help you to solve the problem i.e.

1. ASC is in the normal state when the computer starts up.

2. It switches from the Normal State to the Faulty State at 3 to 5 hour intervals.

3. Infection Defense and Website Defense do not show this fault.

Does this help?

Cheers

NormanF

Thanks for the information NormanF.

Is there a chance that you can use IObit Security 360, and check the same situation in that software? As, IS360 has exactly the same function?

I am trying to understand if there is another factor which is changing the status of the blocked cookies. ei, whether the reason is ASC or some other software.

Cheers.

Hi NormanF,

Click on the Tools button on the left, then click on Passive Defense, you will see 3 or 4 (if there is Fireox) items on the right and in the middle there is an Enable All button. Clickon it to enable all and then check each item on the left pane if everthing is protected. (Same numbers as in ASC.)

Keep IS360 in the System tray and then, you have to wait for that 3-4 hours to see if same thing happens here. (If it happens again please post the HijacThis report after clicking the Hijack Scan button. There is an option on the left of the Hijack Scan window as Scan Save A Log.

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/7895/74140502.png

Please EXIT ASC in the meantime, and close the automatic functions of it.

Cheers.

Thanks for the clarification Melvin_Deal.

Hi NormaF,

Post the HijackThis report now please, then you can again save the HijackThis report after the so called glitch happens again and post again.

Did you have a chance to look at the Event Viewer at the thime of the occurance of the glitch?

Please give some information about your OS and other security software.

Cheers.

Hi enoskype

Here is the log

Logfile of IObit HijackScan v1.0.0.0

Scan saved at 18:24:30, on 2009-12-6

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE

C:\Program Files\EPSON\ESM2\eEBSVC.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.EXE

C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Motive\McciCMService.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$MICROSOFTSMLBIZ\Binn\sqlservr.exe

c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Binn\sqlservr.exe

C:\Program Files\Norton 360\Engine\3.5.2.11\ccSvcHst.exe

C:\Program Files\Trusteer\Rapport\bin\RapportMgmtService.exe

C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtsvc.exe

c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlbrowser.exe

c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlwriter.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\MsPMSPSv.exe

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe

C:\Program Files\Norton 360\Engine\3.5.2.11\ccSvcHst.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\Program Files\Trusteer\Rapport\bin\RapportService.exe

C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starter Edition\3.0\Apps\apdproxy.exe

C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe

C:\Program Files\BT Broadband Desktop Help\btbb\BTHelpNotifier.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe

C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ycommon.exe

C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe

C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

C:\Program Files\IObit\Advanced SystemCare 3\AWC.exe

C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\ymsgr_tray.exe

C:\Program Files\BT Voyager\BT Voyager Wireless\WLM.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrowser.exe

C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrowser.exe

C:\Program Files\IObit\IObit Security 360\is360.exe

C:\Program Files\IObit\IObit Security 360\IS360tray.exe

C:\Program Files\IObit\IObit Security 360\IS360srv.exe

C:\Program Files\IObit\IObit Security 360\a_hijackscan.exe

O2 - BHO: &Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\yt.dll

O3 - Toolbar: Norton Toolbar - {7FEBEFE3-6B19-4349-98D2-FFB09D4B49CA} -

O4 - HKCU|\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\: [Yahoo! Pager] C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\ypager.exe -quiet

O4 - HKCU|\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\: [ccleaner] "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\ccleaner.exe" /AUTO

O4 - HKCU|\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\: [DVDLauncher] C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe

O4 - HKCU|\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background

O4 - HKCU|\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

O4 - HKCU|\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\: [sunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_05\bin\jusched.exe

O4 - HKCU|\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\: [Advanced SystemCare 3] "C:\Program Files\IObit\Advanced SystemCare 3\AWC.exe" /startup

O4 - HKLM|\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\: [YBrowser] C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe

O4 - HKLM|\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe

O4 - HKLM|\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime

O4 - HKLM|\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\: [Adobe Photo Downloader] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starter Edition\3.0\Apps\apdproxy.exe"

O4 - HKLM|\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\: [DellSupportCenter] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe" /P DellSupportCenter

O4 - HKLM|\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\: [btbb_McciTrayApp] "C:\Program Files\BT Broadband Desktop Help\btbb\BTHelpNotifier.exe"

O4 - HKLM|\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot

O4 - HKLM|\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\: [avast!] "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe"

O4 - HKLM|\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\: [sunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"

O4 - HKLM|\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\: [iObit Security 360] "C:\Program Files\IObit\IObit Security 360\IS360tray.exe" /autostart

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000

O9 - Extra button: BT Yahoo! Services - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} -

O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL

O9 - Extra button: Real.com Explorer Bar - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL

O9 - Extra button: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe

O9 - Extra button: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O16 - DPF: {8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93}Java Plug-in 1.6.0_17 - http://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_17-windows-i586.cab

O16 - DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0017-ABCDEFFEDCBA}Java Plug-in 1.6.0_17 - http://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_17-windows-i586.cab

O16 - DPF: {CAFEEFAC-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-ABCDEFFEDCBA}Java Plug-in 1.6.0_17 - http://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_17-windows-i586.cab

O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe

O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller (Ati HotKey Poller) - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe

O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus (avast! Antivirus) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe

O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner (avast! Mail Scanner) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe

O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner (avast! Web Scanner) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe

O23 - Service: Boonty Games (Boonty Games) - BOONTY - C:\Program Files\Common Files\BOONTY Shared\Service\Boonty.exe

O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access (Creative Service for CDROM Access) - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.EXE

O23 - Service: DSBrokerService (DSBrokerService) - Unknown - C:\Program Files\DellSupport\brkrsvc.exe

O23 - Service: EpsonBidirectionalService (EpsonBidirectionalService) - Unknown - C:\Program Files\EPSON\ESM2\eEBSVC.exe

O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate1c989361f752a02) (gupdate1c989361f752a02) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe

O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe

O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe

O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE

O23 - Service: McciCMService (McciCMService) - Alcatel-Lucent - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Motive\McciCMService.exe

O23 - Service: Norton 360 (N360) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton 360\Engine\3.5.2.11\ccSvcHst.exe

O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\PROSetWired\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe

O23 - Service: Rapport Management Service (RapportMgmtService) - Trusteer Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Trusteer\Rapport\bin\RapportMgmtService.exe

O23 - Service: SupportSoft Sprocket Service (dellsupportcenter) (sprtsvc_dellsupportcenter) - SupportSoft, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtsvc.exe

O23 - Service: Symantec RemoteAssist (Symantec RemoteAssist) - Symantec, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Support Controls\ssrc.exe

O23 - Service: IS360service (IS360service) - IObit - C:\Program Files\IObit\IObit Security 360\IS360srv.exe

I am running on Windows XP with Norton 360 and CCleaner

I also have Avast but the fault pre-dates its installation

I have not used event viewer

My question about what do I do actually referred to the operation of Security 360.

In order to test do I press the Scan Now button on the Overview Page?

Cheers

NormanF

• 1 year later...

218 cookies protected - Firefox problem?

Hi, I have the same problem, and I discovered that this is a Firefox problem. When I run ASC, ASC protects the 218 cookies, and the cookies remained protected - even after rebooting the computer - as long as I don't open again Firefox, but as soon as I open again Firefox, the problem of 218 cookies reappear again, like it's Firefox itself that unprotects the cookies...

Archived