IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

SD locking removable drives

Hello,

I recently started using SmartDefrag on Windows 7 Professional and noticed a problem with USB drives. Even if only system drive C: is selected to defrag, SmartDefrag will lock USB drives thus preventing me from removing them. Windows says they are in use until I shut down SmartDefrag. May I as user do anything about it? Can You fix it?

Hi cafeina

I would suggest refraining from using automatic defrag except perhaps for the scheduled option for the time being.

In my opinion defragging constantly is like shooting mosquitoes with a cannon battery. :-)

Even if only the c: drive is selected for defragment, it has to keep the other drives open in case some fragment belongs there.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. I suspect that the automatic defrag option is placed in the program because of ordinary users wishes and not for the overall health of the computer!

Hello,

I recently started using SmartDefrag on Windows 7 Professional and noticed a problem with USB drives. Even if only system drive C: is selected to defrag, SmartDefrag will lock USB drives thus preventing me from removing them. Windows says they are in use until I shut down SmartDefrag. May I as user do anything about it? Can You fix it?

Hi cafeina

I would suggest refraining from using automatic defrag except perhaps for the scheduled option for the time being.

Ok, I'll leave that alone :)

In my opinion defragging constantly is like shooting mosquitoes with a cannon battery. :-)
Hmm, but I'm not defragging constantly. Auto defrag should have rather some algorithm to check fragmentation level and defrag when necessary, am I wrong?

Even if only the c: drive is selected for defragment, it has to keep the other drives open in case some fragment belongs there.
Really? So why is there an option to select which drive to defrag? Also, I just can't see how fragments can span internal HD and USB key or removable USB drive. Please explain it if you can.

p.s. I suspect that the automatic defrag option is placed in the program because of ordinary users wishes and not for the overall health of the computer!

Maybe, but it is nice to have, so you don't forget to defrag...

Hi cafeina

We have not been told at what level the autodefrag kicks in.

And there are no settings where we can control that option.

The only settings we have is an option for the idle time and the use of resources.

The reason for selecting other drives is of course to defrag those drives - but the same applies, - if you have had a need for a file in one of the other drives in the drive where you are working there will be a possibility that some fragment is placed in another drive which is why the other drives has to be open too I think.

I could speculate that if there has been no such activity the parameters of the defrag option could possibly be configured to take that into account and then there would be no need to keep them open, but this is for the programmers of the program to think about. :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Ok, I'll leave that alone :)

Hmm, but I'm not defragging constantly. Auto defrag should have rather some algorithm to check fragmentation level and defrag when necessary, am I wrong?

Really? So why is there an option to select which drive to defrag? Also, I just can't see how fragments can span internal HD and USB key or removable USB drive. Please explain it if you can.

Maybe, but it is nice to have, so you don't forget to defrag...

Archived