IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Shoot the Messenger

Okie

Hi woz

Excellent advice

I also leave Themes alone, - I like my own desktop picture.

I am not sure about Uninteruptible power supply, if you do not have your own engine generating power (electricity), I do not think it is necessary, but perhaps the battery power comes under this??

Like you I also run Time, but a possibility here could be to activate the function in services only at the time one wants to check if the computer keeps the time sufficiently accurate.

It seems that several recommandations see the Time as a potential security risk - I never had a problem there though even though I run it automatically.

Cheers

solbjerg

It will depend on the Service as to whether you can change it to Manual or Disable.

Very basically:

Manual means Windows or an application can (in most cases) still start the Service if and when it is necessary

Disabled means it can't be started except if you go to Services and start it yourself

Again I stress that it depends on the Service and what it does and is needed for.

This is why I recommend reading through the BlackViper explanations for the Services, you will see that some Services cannot run unless another Service is enabled, if you Disable one then you Disable both.

This may not be a good thing.

Having said that, I have made all the XP changes suggested by the BlackViper "Safe" list except for 2 (Uninterruptible Power Supply and Windows Time) and have had no problems at all

My NetBook is very fast compared to others I have seen :smile:

All the best, woz of oz

Time, it's on my side. Yes it is

I also leave Themes alone, - I like my own desktop picture.

Absolutely, after all it is a Personal Computer.

The day it can't look nice is the day I stop looking at it :grin:

I am not sure about Uninteruptible power supply, if you do not have your own engine generating power (electricity), I do not think it is necessary, but perhaps the battery power comes under this??

I don't understand it either but just the fact BlackViper mentions it might be required on some LapTops was enough for me to pass on Disabling it.

It seems that several recommandations see the Time as a potential security risk - I never had a problem there though even though I run it automatically.

Cheers

solbjerg

Yeah, I have read a few of those as well but I put them in the same basket as pull the plug on the internet every time you go to make a cup of coffee

If using a computer on the internet is really that much of a risk then it's beyond my powers of patience to deal with it.

Aside:

I had problems updating the time using time.windows.com so I changed it to time-b.nist.gov and have no problems at all since then.

The sister site time.nist.gov is good as well

Also, these 2 nist.gov sites are usually good for PDAs etc that update the time on the internet. They always seem to be available and fast :smile:

All the best, woz of oz

Hi woz

I have experienced the same regarding windows.time and also use nist.gov

Possibly Windows has disabled it for "security" reasons??

To be as safe as possible: disable the internet connection (pull the plug) - never use usb-sticks or CDs from other sources than your own computer or possibly 100% safe programs or vendors.

Not the best option for information-hungry users though :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Absolutely, after all it is a Personal Computer.

The day it can't look nice is the day I stop looking at it :grin:

I don't understand it either but just the fact BlackViper mentions it might be required on some LapTops was enough for me to pass on Disabling it.

Yeah, I have read a few of those as well but I put them in the same basket as pull the plug on the internet every time you go to make a cup of coffee

If using a computer on the internet is really that much of a risk then it's beyond my powers of patience to deal with it.

Aside:

I had problems updating the time using time.windows.com so I changed it to time-b.nist.gov and have no problems at all since then.

The sister site time.nist.gov is good as well

Also, these 2 nist.gov sites are usually good for PDAs etc that update the time on the internet. They always seem to be available and fast :smile:

All the best, woz of oz

Archived