IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Can't open notepad.

blacksea

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi blacksea,

There is no new version of Game Booster. It was a wrong announcement.

Try to fix (re-associate) the txt extention with Notepad in Folder Options.

Cheers.

I'm at the folder option, what to do next?

And also here is the snapshot of the error I get when opening

Is this what you meant on the attachment under?

And also, the notepad.exe worked on WINDOWS and not at system32. So i deleted the one at SYSTEM32 and copied the exe from WINDOWS. And again the same error appears when I want to open Notepad from start/all programs/etc.

Hi blacksea

In Folder Options click the tab File types/find TXT and make sure it is associated with Notepad.

Another thing - you said that you went to Start/Programs/Utilities/Notepad, try right clicking on that shortcut and choose Properties, in that window see if the address is right - otherwise click the button find location, copy that locations address and insert it into the line for it in properties.

It ought to say:

Destination: %SystemRoot%\system32\notepad.exe

Start in: %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%

Cheers

solbjerg

I'm at the folder option, what to do next?

And also here is the snapshot of the error I get when opening

blacksea,

Please do chkdsk /F in command prompt as I said before.(not through ASC.)(run it as Administrator).

After entering the above command, you will be asked if you want check disk to be run in next Windows start, key in Y and Enter.

Restart the PC and let checkdisk run in the start of Windows. Wait until PC automatically restarts. Try again.

Cheers.

Hi guys ;

I think solbjerg might be close, although I'm reading somewhere that the shortcut needs to be deleted and then recreated.

If chkdsk /F doesn't fix it for you, try the following :

- Delete the Notepad shortcut from "Accessories" ("Start" - "All Programs" - "Accessories")

- Next, right-click on "Accessories" and choose "Open"

- In the new Window, right-click on an empty space and choose "New" > "Shortcut"

- You will now get another window asking you for a path ; enter this (Copy/Paste) :

%SystemRoot%\system32\notepad.exe

- Click "Next" and write the name you want for it : (Notepad).

- Click "Finish" and you should be all set.

===

And also, the notepad.exe worked on WINDOWS and not at system32. So i deleted the one at SYSTEM32 and copied the exe from WINDOWS. And again the same error appears when I want to open Notepad from start/all programs/etc.

Hi So_sad,

Even after copying a working notepad.exe from: C:\WINDOWS\notepad.exe

and trying to start it by double clicking on it at: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\notepad.exe,

blacksea said that it didn't work.

So, I doubt that rebuilding the route to the source of the shortcut (C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\notepad.exe) will work!!!

If the route is to: C:\WINDOWS\notepad.exe

ie., %SystemRoot%\notepad.exe ,

then it will work, but this will not heal the problem anyway.

sfc can be tried also.

Cheers.

Hi there enoskype :smile:

Is this what you meant on the attachment under?

I believe that blacksea merely attempted to launch the program from the shortcut, not by double-clicking it directly from %sysdir%. Rebuilding the shortcut could work in such a case, I think ;-)

===

Just trying to help blacksea as best I can, like we all are :wink:

Right or wrong, it's an easy thing to try anyway. If the copy from %WinDir% works, I don't see why it shouldn't work (double-click) in %SysDir% if its the exact same file. Then again, stranger things have happened. chkdsk can't hurt either..

You still out there, blacksea ?

===

Yes I'm still here. And I appreciate both of your help!

Hi blacksea

Destination: %SystemRoot%\system32\notepad.exe

Start in: %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%

solbjerg

Solbjerg, I double checked and the TXT file is associated with Notepad.

Also the 'destination' and the 'start in' are like what you said. Now I'll be doing the chckdsk again as you mentioned how to do it.

Hi blacksea

If that doesn't work, - you should try enoskype's suggestion about sfc (system file checker)

You go to Run and write sfc /scannow exactly as written here

This repair command will likely ask you for your Windows install cd, - so better have it ready.

Not So_sad anymore :-) had some good comments too - I noticed he had become an IObit fan :-) - great :-)

By the way - all this is written in Usage of IObit Products please read all of it.

Cheers

solbjerg

Yes I'm still here. And I appreciate both of your help!

Solbjerg, I double checked and the TXT file is associated with Notepad.

Also the 'destination' and the 'start in' are like what you said. Now I'll be doing the chckdsk again as you mentioned how to do it.

I'm still sad, solbjerg ; that won't go away I'm afraid, but it's another story...

By the way, I've found my way out of the Hotel California 8-)

How ? There are two possible exits :

- The Stairway to Heaven, or..

- The Highway to Hell :shock:

LOL. I chose the first one of course :wink:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@blacksea : if chkdsk doesn't solve it, you can try something really easy to check whether the shortcut is bad or not :

Go to : C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe and double-click on it.

If it launches Notepad, then the file is good and the shortcut probably bad.

You can further test by simply right-clicking on notepad.exe (in System32) and send a shortcut to the Desktop. If that one works, you'll know the other one is bad.

===

@blacksea : if chkdsk doesn't solve it, you can try something really easy to check whether the shortcut is bad or not :

Go to : C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe and double-click on it.

If it launches Notepad, then the file is good and the shortcut probably bad.

You can further test by simply right-clicking on notepad.exe (in System32) and send a shortcut to the Desktop. If that one works, you'll know the other one is bad.

===

Hi So_sad,

chkdsk didn't solve the issue. The file at System32 did fail and the same error came again.

I also send a shortcut to the desktop but both did fail.

@Solbjerg, I don't have the windows CD at this moment. But I do have a old CD, but when I install the Windows again, it keeps asking me to active it. So I think that one is not legit any more.

Blacksea

Hi blacksea,

Hmmm. This is weird. So the good copy you put in System32 from the Windows directory won't work ?

An infection might be a possibility (just a possibility), but I somehow doubt it.

Can you have the notepad.exe in System32 analysed at VirusTotal ? :

http://www.virustotal.com/

Once you've uploaded the file, you may get a response that says the file has already been analyzed ; if you get that, click for a new analysis. Once the report is complete, just copy/paste the URL from the page here so we can have a look. The VirusTotal analysis will show us file size and md5, which can be interesting/revealing as well.

By the way, you can probably run sfc /scannow with the old CD, but you wouldn't be able to do a repair install (or a full install) without activation.

===

Hi blacksea,

Hmmm. This is weird. So the good copy you put in System32 from the Windows directory won't work ?

An infection might be a possibility (just a possibility), but I somehow doubt it.

Can you have the notepad.exe in System32 analysed at VirusTotal ? :

http://www.virustotal.com/

Once you've uploaded the file, you may get a response that says the file has already been analyzed ; if you get that, click for a new analysis. Once the report is complete, just copy/paste the URL from the page here so we can have a look. The VirusTotal analysis will show us file size and md5, which can be interesting/revealing as well.

By the way, you can probably run sfc /scannow with the old CD, but you wouldn't be able to do a repair install (or a full install) without activation.

===

I did let the file being analysed at Virustotal. Here is the link: http://www.virustotal.com/nl/analisis/fefeac4c10bbe237cc6c861229ecaacbd2a366ac4fbd04a3862b62bd7a778093-1264531719

But when I was uploading the file, I saw 2 different files. One was notepad.exe and the other was notepad.exe.orig. Maybe I thought this would be usefull to say.

Blacksea.

Hi blacksea

Just to clarify

write/paste the sfc /scannow command in Run - click OK or simply hit Enter.

The sfc window comes up - runs for awhile - and then asks for the Windows install disc.

You place the cd in the cd-drive and close it

In the sfc window you click "try again"

If the Install window comes up - you just close it

and then follow the system file checker check your system - it takes a while.

As so_sad says the old cd may work, but perhaps you have to use the button "try again" a number of times - maybe 10 or so.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi So_sad,

chkdsk didn't solve the issue. The file at System32 did fail and the same error came again.

I also send a shortcut to the desktop but both did fail.

@Solbjerg, I don't have the windows CD at this moment. But I do have a old CD, but when I install the Windows again, it keeps asking me to active it. So I think that one is not legit any more.

Blacksea

Hi solbjerg,

I did run the command 'sfc /scannow' and nothing happened. I was expecting the 'Try again' but nothing happened at all. But I do remember the error had to do something with firewall or antimalware. I remember something was associated with notepad and I don't remember if it was infected or I had blocked notepad. Something like that. Because just after the moment I couldn't open Notepad like the error appears now.

Blacksea.

Hi blacksea

Just to clarify

write/paste the sfc /scannow command in Run - click OK or simply hit Enter.

The sfc window comes up - runs for awhile - and then asks for the Windows install disc.

You place the cd in the cd-drive and close it

In the sfc window you click "try again"

If the Install window comes up - you just close it

and then follow the system file checker check your system - it takes a while.

As so_sad says the old cd may work, but perhaps you have to use the button "try again" a number of times - maybe 10 or so.

Cheers

solbjerg

AHA blacksea

Then open your firewall and see what is blocked?

Or open your malware program and check if it has blocked it.

You can use Start/search to find all instances of Notepad and see if any is in a lacation where it can block the application.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg,

I did run the command 'sfc /scannow' and nothing happened. I was expecting the 'Try again' but nothing happened at all. But I do remember the error had to do something with firewall or antimalware. I remember something was associated with notepad and I don't remember if it was infected or I had blocked notepad. Something like that. Because just after the moment I couldn't open Notepad like the error appears now.

Blacksea.

AHA blacksea

Then open your firewall and see what is blocked?

Or open your malware program and check if it has blocked it.

You can use Start/search to find all instances of Notepad and see if any is in a lacation where it can block the application.

Cheers

solbjerg

I checked my firewall and nothing associated with notepad was blocked.

And also I reinstalled 2 times A-squared after the error appeared. Could you explain me a bit better what I have to write down at Start/search?

Blacksea.

Hi blacksea

The uninstalling of A² may have removed its virus vault too depending how thorough the uninstall was.

But just write Notepad in Start/search and see in what locations you have the file.

Cheers

solbjerg

I checked my firewall and nothing associated with notepad was blocked.

And also I reinstalled 2 times A-squared after the error appeared. Could you explain me a bit better what I have to write down at Start/search?

Blacksea.

Archived