IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Measurement

solbjerg

I was wondering if anybody know why they use billion instead of milliard in the US?

The most logical seems to be to use milliard, that system is I think mostly derived from French, and there a billion is 10 to the power of 12 - 10^12,

a billiard would then be 10^15 and a trillion 10^18 and so on

There is a lot of different measurement standards around the globe, and they are apparently difficult to change.

Some will probably change due to new technology, perhaps pixels when the technology is able to depict smaller points?

This is what i got from From Wikipedia

Milliard is a French-derived word meaning the number 1,000,000,000 (109; one thousand million; SI prefix giga). It is not used in American English and is rare in other forms of English - the preferred term being 'thousand million'. During the 20th century, the short scale "billion" superseded 'thousand million' to become the normal term in the most of the English-speaking world.

"Milliard", or a version thereof, is common to many languages other than English.

This is what i got from From Wikipedia

Milliard is a French-derived word meaning the number 1,000,000,000 (109; one thousand million; SI prefix giga). It is not used in American English and is rare in other forms of English - the preferred term being 'thousand million'. During the 20th century, the short scale "billion" superseded 'thousand million' to become the normal term in the most of the English-speaking world.

"Milliard", or a version thereof, is common to many languages other than English.

Yes warrior

But what is the logic behind it?

My guess is. In our number system it goes from million then billion then trillion etc.. So in my opinion it would seem more logical to have billion and not milliard.

Yes but bi- means two? And mil- means thousand, so two times the zeroes in million and a thousand million for milliard, right? that seems more logical to me.

I just found out some info from Wikipedia.

Short scale is the English translation of the French term échelle courte.[1] It refers to a system of numeric names in which every new term is 1 000 times greater than the previous term: "billion" means "a thousand millions" (109), "trillion" means "a thousand billions" (1012), and so on.

Long scale is the English translation of the French term échelle longue. It refers to a system of numeric names in which every new term is 1 000 000 times greater than the previous term: "billion" means "a million squared" (1012), "trillion" means "a million to the third power" (1018), and so on.

I think this explains it.

I just found out some info from another website.

Short scale is the English translation of the French term échelle courte.[1] It refers to a system of numeric names in which every new term is 1 000 times greater than the previous term: "billion" means "a thousand millions" (109), "trillion" means "a thousand billions" (1012), and so on.

Long scale is the English translation of the French term échelle longue. It refers to a system of numeric names in which every new term is 1 000 000 times greater than the previous term: "billion" means "a million squared" (1012), "trillion" means "a million to the third power" (1018), and so on.

Yes warrior, thanks

but still -

a 1000 thousand, in the abbrivated french form million

from that logic it looks more straight forward to say that a trillion should be 10^9 ; 10⁹??

I just found out some info from Wikipedia.

Yes - thank you

I knew about short and long form

But it seems to me that if a thousand thousand is a million 10^6; 10

shouldn't then a thousand thousand thousand be a trillion? 10^9; 10

???? :-) :-) :-)

By the way warrior

the circumflex accent is the accepted notation for exponent (to the power of) and is a key on the keyboard, can also be written by holding the Alt key down and pressing 094 on the numberpad.

You can't use it in Windows calculator, but it is used in Excel.

Giga is also a billion/milliard 10^9, but gigabyte is 1024³ or 1024^3 so a gigabyte is 2^30

Pico- is a billionth 1/10¹² (in US a trillionth)

Archived