IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Windows Media - Security Holes [SOLVED]

IObit Security 360 1.41

Definitions Version: 1332

PC Security Analasis reports 2 Security Holes found

Security update for Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB952069)

MS08-076: Description of the security update for Windows Media Format Runtime 7.1, 9.0, 9.5, and 11 and Media Foundation: December 9, 2008

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952069

Security update for Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB973540)

MS09-037: Description of the security update for Windows Media Player: August 11, 2009

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973540

I went to Microsoft Updates and there were no High Priority updates for me

I checked under Custom Updates and the above updates are not listed

My computer has always been set to automatically check and install all Microsoft updates

I have disregarded them for the moment

All the best, woz of oz

Windows Media installed

I do have Windows Media Player 11 and Windows Media Format 11 runtime installed and I guess it has always been installed from day one.

Add or Remove Programs says I don't have those two KB updates though.

I am confused because I have never gotten these Security Holes before and when I checked, Microsoft Updates said all was ok and Secunia said all was ok.

The only change that I have made lately that may have some effect on Media stuff was to uninstall KMPlayer (media player) and install VLC media player. A few days later I uninstalled VLC and reinstalled KMPlayer because I prefer it.

I used Revo and did the usual Folder and Registry cleanups when uninstalling.

Do you think I should download and install those two KB updates, will there be any harm in trying that ?

All the best, woz of oz

Hi wozofoz,

I would insall them if I were you starting with the earlier one first.

Anyway, I think it will refuse to be installed or warn you that you have it installed or , you have a later version, if they are not needed.

That's my call, but you can never be sure about MS updates.

Of course it is up to your preference.

Cheers.

Done

I downloaded both KB updates and installed the earlier one first then the later one.

It all went very smooth and I Restarted my computer.

IObit Security 360 now says eveything is ok :-D

Security update for Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB952069) Is not shown in Add or remove Programs

MS08-076: Description of the security update for Windows Media Format Runtime 7.1, 9.0, 9.5, and 11 and Media Foundation: December 9, 2008

Security update for Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB973540) Is shown in Add or remove Programs

MS09-037: Description of the security update for Windows Media Player: August 11, 2009

Could this be because the later KB973540 has overwritten (or whatever the term is) the earlier KB952069

Anyway, it all looks good and I will update the thread title to solved :smile:

All the best, woz of oz

Hi woz!!!

I downloaded both KB updates and installed the earlier one first then the later one.

It all went very smooth and I Restarted my computer.

IObit Security 360 now says eveything is ok :-D

Security update for Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB952069) Is not shown in Add or remove Programs

Security update for Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB973540) Is shown in Add or remove Programs

Could this be because the later KB973540 has overwritten (or whatever the term is) the earlier KB952069

Anyway, it all looks good and I will update the thread title to solved :smile:

All the best, woz of oz

Hi woz. Sorry I'm late on your thread!!!! PS that's a lot of up dates!!!!!!

Hi Gary,

I have not counted yours, but I have 144 hotfix updates.

Hi wozofoz,

I am glad that I have encouraged you. :-D

The nonexistance could be as you say, but also some hotfixes can not be uninstalled, so may not appear in Add or Remove Programs.

I have it just prior to Windows Media Player, as Windows Media Format 11 runtime (31.74 MB) in Add or Remove Programs.( Strangely enough, Windows Media Player 11 is seen exactly 31.74 MB too.)

Cheers.

Dude, there's my update

Hi woz. Sorry I'm late on your thread!!!! PS that's a lot of up dates!!!!!!

Thanks for the screenshot garybear :smile:

Boy you do have many many updates, much more than me as far as I can tell

The nonexistance could be as you say, but also some hotfixes can not be uninstalled, so may not appear in Add or Remove Programs.

I have it just prior to Windows Media Player, as Windows Media Format 11 runtime (31.74 MB) in Add or Remove Programs.( Strangely enough, Windows Media Player 11 is seen exactly 31.74 MB too.)

Cheers.

If my memory serves me well, I have always had Windows Media Format 11 runtime and I have also wondered why they are both exactly the same size.

Strange that this Windows Media - Security Holes stuff just popped up out of nowhere years after the updates were released.

Oh well, it's all good in the hood now :smile:

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4400&d=1267405613

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4401&d=1267405639

All the best, woz of oz

Archived