IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Not enough space

Smart Defrag v.1.3 won't defrag a 334-MB file (Fragment Num 1100, Clusters 85500) (a few more) on a 97-GB disk © with 35 GB free space available on an XP SP3 system, saying "Not enough space". This is a database edited hundreds if not thousands of times a day. Any pointers? Thank you.

Hi AVDimid!

"This is a database edited hundreds if not thousands of times a day. Any pointers? Thank you."

If this is a database edited so often (big as you say to you), and the file is the small size you say that it is,,, then there is more information than this simple question. Are you talking about a server? (or are you just writing a book?)

-Mel

Ha, just kidding! sounds like you have the free space already allocated so you can't move files so freely, thus error.

When you do the "analyze" function of SD Do you have lots of black squares?

Hi AVDemid

What are your settings, - please send a screenshot!

If you write space in the search option you will find a wealth of posts about this.

Cheers

solbjerg

Smart Defrag v.1.3 won't defrag a 334-MB file (Fragment Num 1100, Clusters 85500) (a few more) on a 97-GB disk © with 35 GB free space available on an XP SP3 system, saying "Not enough space". This is a database edited hundreds if not thousands of times a day. Any pointers? Thank you.

Why doesnt SD first create the contiguous space that it needs to move the files and then move them there? The steps would be:

1. Come across a big file

2. Move other small files to create contiguous space

3. Move big file

4. Move everything in #2 back or whereever it should go.

Windows defrag (though people say it doesnt work well otherwise) never has this problem. I believe it follows the 4 steps I outlined above. I did my first defrag today and I know everyone faces this issue and complains about it so its worth fixing it and it makes sense too.

Looks like I'll have to do this manually by moving the biggest or most fragmented files to another disk, defrag and then move them back and hope to have them less fragmented than they were before.

Reply to alan31: moving the file to another disk and back again worked for me--it became totally defragged, but this solution doesn't optimize access to it as SD is supposed to do; it still says "not enough space" for this file.

Reply to Melvin_Deal: Thank you for your interest in my stuff. No, I'm not talking about a server but a home PC. You came very close, though, to guessing the function of my database when you mentioned writing a book. What I actually do is translate books from Russian into English, and the database in question is a translation memory. I've been translating 10-20 pages a day for close to 10 years now, and the DVX software I use continuously saves everything I translate into this database in an attempt to help me translate the next phrase I come across. It is a great help to me, and so I'm naturally anxious to have it working as efficiently as possible. Hence Smart Defrag.

When I have SD analyze my disk, it does show quite a few black squares but these are dwarfed by grey ones so the problem is probably elsewhere. Thank you.

Not enough space (Reply to solbjerg)

Reply to solbjerg: Thanks for the pointer about searching. I'll do that. I'm not sure, though, what you mean by my settings; I haven't fiddled with the SD in any way so it must be in default mode. Please find enclosed my screenshot. Thank you.

Reply to solbjerg 2: I've searched for "space" as you suggested but found it useless: there is simply too much stuff. We have a specific SD problem/error, Not Enough Space, and I believe the forum should have a thread dedicated to it. "Space" seems to be a one-size-fits-all search.

Hi AVDemid

There are other possibilities besides "space", for example in "Advanced Search" you could try "enough space" and see if that narrows it down a little. :-)

About the settings - when you open SD you will see the opening window - in the left side there are some buttons, the bottom most is called "Options" if you click on that you wil see what the settings are.

Please take a screenshot of that and attach it here.

Good luck!

Cheers

solbjerg

Reply to solbjerg 2: I've searched for "space" as you suggested but found it useless: there is simply too much stuff. We have a specific SD problem/error, Not Enough Space, and I believe the forum should have a thread dedicated to it. "Space" seems to be a one-size-fits-all search.

Reply to enoskype: Thanks for your help. Running Windows defrag helped (though it said the disk didn't need it): it moved all the white space to the end of the disk, and following that, SD reported no problems after fast optimizing it.

As to why I'm not using v. 1.4, I don't see much point in downloading and installing every new build the developers release. I can understand it's important to them, but I usually only install major new releases. E.g., I will certainly to that for v.2. Also, I usually check automatic updates and agree when a program offers to update itself but this doesn't seem to work with SD (maybe because it uses the Windows update services, which I have stopped as I see no point in having three services run on my system, slowing it down, when MS only releases its updates once a month (I do my Windows updates manually every month).

Thank you.

Not enough space (Reply to solbjerg)

Thanks for explaining about the settings. Please find my screenshot attached.

I have already tried the pointer about running Windows defrag and it has worked, but I am still interested in hearing your suggestions as to how I might deal with the problem in future (XP defrag took a very long time to complete and markedly slowed down my system.)

As to searching for answers, here my twopenn'orth. The difference between forums and FAQs is that the former have people who are willing to help you with your specific problem. Naturally you should try running a search on your problem first as it's likely to produce immediate results. But if doesn't, why not take the help people offer and be thankful for it rather than being a lone wolf and roam the prairies of data in search of answers?

Thanks.

Hi AVDemid

Glad that worked for you.

What method did you use to update to the version you have now?

Over the top? Or did you go for a clean install?

New versions often fix - albeit often small problems in the setup

When something goes wrong for a user with some application, is is not always straightforward to pinpoint the reason. This is why I suggested that reading about related problems would be good.

As mentioned in many of the answers to related problems it could also have been a very large video or picture file that held up the program, this has been the case several times.

The reason I mostly wanted to see your setting was because of the option to skip large files, if that had been ticked I would have suggested that you untick it.

As the screenshot shows - it looks much like my own settings.

Frequently asked questions are fine, but we have here compiled a thread that explains the programs and the settings as best we could, it is called Usage of IObit Products

We did that to try to help users - but of course also to attempt to lighten the workload. :-)

The search function is really useful. But like on the net one has to find the right question to get the best/fewest answers :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Thanks for explaining about the settings. Please find my screenshot attached.

I have already tried the pointer about running Windows defrag and it has worked, but I am still interested in hearing your suggestions as to how I might deal with the problem in future (XP defrag took a very long time to complete and markedly slowed down my system.)

As to searching for answers, here my twopenn'orth. The difference between forums and FAQs is that the former have people who are willing to help you with your specific problem. Naturally you should try running a search on your problem first as it's likely to produce immediate results. But if doesn't, why not take the help people offer and be thankful for it rather than being a lone wolf and roam the prairies of data in search of answers?

Thanks.

Hi AVDemid,

Good to know that defrgmenting with Windows' own defrag, your problem has been solved.

For the latest version suggestion, there is a new function of SD about Auto defragmentation, that's why I said it is better to use it. Also always there are bug fixes in the new versions.

Can you please supply here the screenshot with Auto Defrag page GUI shown and Auto Defrag enabled and the menu showing on the right, so we can see the difference with mine which is attached.

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4495&d=1267722714

Cheers.

Not enough space (Reply to enoskype)

Hi enoskype

Here's the screenshot requested. Seems to be identical to yours. I don't let applications autostart with Windows, however, unless I really need them, preferring to start utilities, such as virus scan, Mozy backup, Advanced Systemcare, manually when away from my PC for a run or a meal.

Reply to solbjerg: I did a clean install of v.1.3, which was the first SD version I used, having read about the application in Rich Robinson's book PC Maintenance Handbook. I'm quite happy with the application--as I am with Advanced Systemcare--particularly now that I know it has such great technical support.

I have quite a few files of 1+ GB in frequent use--they are my dictionaries (as I mentioned, I am a translator), and I naturally want my dictionary searches to run as fast as possible; that is why I adjusted the SD default setting.

Thank you again.

Hi AVDemid

Thank you very much for your feedback!

Just a few remarks:

I think it better to express the available space in percentage of the total capacity of the disk.

Program updates for SD doesn't come all that often - take a look in "What's New" in the program file!

But we have been informed that a new version (2.0) will come soon (possibly in the Chinese vocabulary - meaning perhaps - some time this year - hopefully :-) ) This new version should have more options than the current one - we are told!

Hopefully they will also have ironed out the glitches in the timing and in the scheduling of scans.

I too usually scan and update manually. :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Reply to solbjerg: I did a clean install of v.1.3, which was the first SD version I used, having read about the application in Rich Robinson's book PC Maintenance Handbook. I'm quite happy with the application--as I am with Advanced Systemcare--particularly now that I know it has such great technical support.

I have quite a few files of 1+ GB in frequent use--they are my dictionaries (as I mentioned, I am a translator), and I naturally want my dictionary searches to run as fast as possible; that is why I adjusted the SD default setting.

Thank you again.

Archived