IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Cloned File Finder

When I ran the cloned file finder it found hundreds of files that were cloned in my system. I have no idea which ones are important and which are not. If they are clones, and I delete them all, will this affect my pc performance? How do I know which ones might be important? Thanks for the help. :-D

Hi jnreichert,

Please, DO NOT delete the cloned files if you don't know what you are doing, they may be system files needed by the OS to run.

Please read the relevant section of USAGE of IOBIT PRODUCTS thread.

You can also make a search for clone files to find out the related threads or/and posts in the Forum.

Cheers.

[My confusion lies in the hours and hours of discovering thousands of cloned files, knowing how many hours I've lost in my PC functionality by their dragging my system down, finding out I need to investigate each one to be absolutely sure that it's "A Real Clone...HUH?" which is obviously probably hundreds of more hours of work...??? I mean isn't this software supposed to make this semi pro's PC user life easier? Aren't I buying this product so I won't need an IT Master's Degree to solve my PC problems? Don't get me wrong, your other features in your System Care Pro ROCKS!!! AND I'M LOVING IT!!! :) But, what a drag to find a feature that I was so excited about solve my cluttered PC, only to find out that I'll need about a month of of my job just to accomplish what this feature could provide. So my on my knees plead is PLEASE MAKE A CLONE FILE FINDER THAT ACTUALLY FINDS REAL CLONES. Believe me, there must be some poor PC users out there who just said "Aaa, ***** it." and pressed delete only to find they need to reinstall their whole system. Love to know where you guys are at with this feature.

Thanks,

a sincere lover of your product!!!:smile: ]

Hi 2bornot2bawolf

They are real clones (almost all of them), the problem is that some clones may be needed in several locations, which is why you have to check.

I haven't come across any clone finder that doesn't work in essentially the same way.

So please check carefully before deleting any.

You do not have to accomplish this in a short while like a month :-) while the possible slowdown to your computer is minimal, - to reach into hours it will have had to run all day with a heavy workload for the last 10-20 years before it reached that amount of extra time consumption I think.

I look at it from time to time and remove items that I absolutely know I do not need. Therefore I see it as a help in finding possible unneeded copies of files that I have "mislaid" or the program has placed a copy of somewhere, where I don't need it.

I made a test a while back that had the object to determine what it saw as clones, you can find that post if you do a seach for clones with me as the autor of the post in advanced search.

Cheers

solbjerg

[My confusion lies in the hours and hours of discovering thousands of cloned files, knowing how many hours I've lost in my PC functionality by their dragging my system down, finding out I need to investigate each one to be absolutely sure that it's "A Real Clone...HUH?" which is obviously probably hundreds of more hours of work...??? I mean isn't this software supposed to make this semi pro's PC user life easier? Aren't I buying this product so I won't need an IT Master's Degree to solve my PC problems? Don't get me wrong, your other features in your System Care Pro ROCKS!!! AND I'M LOVING IT!!! :) But, what a drag to find a feature that I was so excited about solve my cluttered PC, only to find out that I'll need about a month of of my job just to accomplish what this feature could provide. So my on my knees plead is PLEASE MAKE A CLONE FILE FINDER THAT ACTUALLY FINDS REAL CLONES. Believe me, there must be some poor PC users out there who just said "Aaa, ***** it." and pressed delete only to find they need to reinstall their whole system. Love to know where you guys are at with this feature.

Thanks,

a sincere lover of your product!!!:smile: ]

• 2 weeks later...

Cloned file finder--WHY NO LOGGING FEATURE?

I'm a long time, long-satisfied user of Advanced System Pro—but it does have its gaping shortcomings.

I, for one, would like to see a logging feature that lets me log the results of the cloned file finder, so that I can post the log, thus to seek an informed knowledgeable opinion. Surely a logging facility is not impossible--or difficult?

AS for the "never touch any of them; they're all necessary" advice, well, doesn't that fly in the face of the very existence of the Cloned File Finder?

Cloned files aside, there also are those totally useless video files that come loaded with Vista. I mean, five minutes of James Stewart in Vertigo?

--a bunch of fish swimming around?

--a bunch of people with plastic smiles, playing pool?

(--others!)

I'm talking about those nuisance dvr-ms files and which refuse to be deleted.

Advanced System Care totally ignores them.

So does Regcucre

and so (of course) does Windows own Disk Cleanup facility.

(and so, I suppose, does every disk cleaning facility out there.)

You can't tell me those files are necessary.

Hi Phrixos

The advice isn't to refrain from touching any of them - it is to check that they are not needed for the computer to keep running - or are not needed in all the locations they are found. You may yourself have placed some copies in other locations for some reason at one time.

As long as you do not empty your recycle bin you will have the opportunity to view the deleted items or restore them.

To have someone go over them to find out if you need them or not would mean that the someone knew all about your wishes and your computer, so I think that is unfeasible.

For example - do you want all your thumbnails deleted?

Perhaps it is possible to make a list of all of them through the command prompt?

I will try to look into that, but otherwise it may be a suggestion that IObit will consider.

Thank you.

The wish to clean up to create more free space (not very much usually) will be thwarted though.

Best advice - check each and everyone of them before deletion - and keep them in the restore bin until absolutely sure you don't need them.

One should see the application as a FINDER!!!! But do NOT delete without checking!!!

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. the recycler isn't an ordinary folder, so I haven't yet found a string to generate a list, but in the meantime you could right click in the recycle bin and select show details - and then make some screenshots to show the content.

p.p.s.

cmd in Run will open command prompt

cd C:\recycler (after Documents&Settings/user name> will change the directory to Recycler>)

dir /a "C:\recycler" (will give you the content of recycler as a number (S-1-5-21-1614895754-920026266-839522115-1004 for example))

You then right click and choose mark up - and then mark up the result - then go to the top blue line and right click and choose copy. Insert that in a file you create.

By searching the "number" you will find the file and clicking it will open the file.

This is how far I have come at this point :-)

I'm a long time, long-satisfied user of Advanced System Pro—but it does have its gaping shortcomings.

I, for one, would like to see a logging feature that lets me log the results of the cloned file finder, so that I can post the log, thus to seek an informed knowledgeable opinion. Surely a logging facility is not impossible--or difficult?

AS for the "never touch any of them; they're all necessary" advice, well, doesn't that fly in the face of the very existence of the Cloned File Finder?

Cloned files aside, there also are those totally useless video files that come loaded with Vista. I mean, five minutes of James Stewart in Vertigo?

--a bunch of fish swimming around?

--a bunch of people with plastic smiles, playing pool?

(--others!)

I'm talking about those nuisance dvr-ms files and which refuse to be deleted.

Advanced System Care totally ignores them.

So does Regcucre

and so (of course) does Windows own Disk Cleanup facility.

(and so, I suppose, does every disk cleaning facility out there.)

You can't tell me those files are necessary.

clones etc

I have just spent about 3 hours going over and over the cloned files, the reason a message saying my c drive is almost full, which I have never experienced before lol

I discovered many 'true' clones, saved across the computer, so took this way out to save time and effort, did a Sys. Restore Point. Removed all but one of the files listed as a clone, kept the one in parent folder.

Going to get an early wine, and re-boot and fingers crossed I will have some hardware space back. There were so many 'clones' I gave up counting the pages.

NOW to the real ? - due to someone else being v. silly and shutting of the AV, whilst they played around [told to do this by someone equally silly, so that they could by pass my control settings] I had a badly infect computer, so bad I took it to the 'guru shop' he fixed to the sum of $198au. and then told me my problem was too much protection, he had removed AWindowCare, and 360 [10bit] What does anyone think of that theory?

Have just reloaded and found lots of 'funny' bits and pieces that his software had not found [i think there is a lesson here somewhere]

Can one have too much protection [in the computer]??

Interested in opinions.

Hi petak

Will be interesting to hear how that came out :-)

How much space did you free up?

If you need more there is the setting of Restore points to consider, you might save between 7 -10% of your disk space there.

How many security and cleanup programs did you run?

Which ones did he let you keep?

He might be biased?

Too many cleanup/optimizing applications is not the best way to go is my opinion.

Especially registry cleaners!

Cheers

solbjerg

I have just spent about 3 hours going over and over the cloned files, the reason a message saying my c drive is almost full, which I have never experienced before lol

I discovered many 'true' clones, saved across the computer, so took this way out to save time and effort, did a Sys. Restore Point. Removed all but one of the files listed as a clone, kept the one in parent folder.

Going to get an early wine, and re-boot and fingers crossed I will have some hardware space back. There were so many 'clones' I gave up counting the pages.

NOW to the real ? - due to someone else being v. silly and shutting of the AV, whilst they played around [told to do this by someone equally silly, so that they could by pass my control settings] I had a badly infect computer, so bad I took it to the 'guru shop' he fixed to the sum of $198au. and then told me my problem was too much protection, he had removed AWindowCare, and 360 [10bit] What does anyone think of that theory?

Have just reloaded and found lots of 'funny' bits and pieces that his software had not found [i think there is a lesson here somewhere]

Can one have too much protection [in the computer]??

Interested in opinions.

command prompt

Hi

I added these post scriptums in post#7

p.s. the recycler isn't an ordinary folder, so I haven't yet found a string to generate a list, but in the meantime you could right click in the recycle bin and select show details - and then make some screenshots to show the content.

p.p.s.

cd C:\recycler (after Documents&Settings/user name> will change the directory to Recycler>)

dir /a "C:\recycler" (will give you the content of recycler as a number (S-1-5-21-1614895754-920026266-839522115-1004 for example))

You then right click and choose mark up - and then mark up the result - then go to the top blue line and right click and choose copy. Insert that in a file you create.

By searching the "number" you will find the file(s) and clicking it will open the file.

This is how far I have come at this point :smile:

Actually it is easier to open Recycler in Windows Explorer (you have to allow show hidden and protected files in Folder Options to see Recycler) and then click on the number - it will then show the content of the recycle bin.

View details - mark it all - ctrl+x and insert it in a file you create

Go back to the recycle bin and restore it all for now.

Then use command prompt to list the contents of the saved file - copy that list - name it (dir /b "files full address\" > c:\t.txt)

- zip it - and attach it to a post or a mail.

You will now have a file that can be sent to whomever - and have used up some more space :-)

This is still tentative - I haven't found the perfect solution, sorry!!

Cheers

solbjerg

command prompt addition

Hi

I added a bit more

Not perfect - but doable :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi

I added these post scriptums in post#7

p.p.s.

By searching the "number" you will find the file(s) and clicking it will open the file.

This is how far I have come at this point :smile:

Actually it is easier to open Recycler in Windows Explorer (you have to allow show hidden and protected files in Folder Options to see Recycler) and then click on the number - it will then show the content of the recycle bin.

View details - mark it all - ctrl+x and insert it in a file you create

Then use command prompt to list the contents of the saved file - copy that list - name it (dir /b "file's full address\" > c:\t.txt)

- zip it - and attach it to a post or a mail.

Go back to the recycle bin and restore it all for now.

You will now have a file that can be sent to whomever - and have used up some more space :-)

This is still tentative - I haven't found the perfect solution, sorry!!

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi friends!!

Hi friends. I have read a lot of threads about cloned and duplicate files. This is the way I handle this. I use a program called Search Everything. As you can see in my screen shot, I have typed in pictures. You will see that the same (My Pictures) is in 4 different places. Do they all need to be there, probably not. If the files were large, I would consider removing a couple. I do the same thing with music and find the duplicates and decide if I need them. This don't have to be a big deal and if you don't have large files of pictures or music , you will gain very little space. If you do it like one member said he did, your asking for big trouble some where down the line. Some files are duplicated for a reason and should be left alone Just use a little common since, but don't expect to gain much free space.===garybear PS Here is a duplicate in 2nd screen shot I could get rid of and not cause a problem.

Archived