IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Problem - fake anti virus !

CATGELakaSKYA

Hello.

I have just joined this forum . Yesterday i clicked on a link & suddently my computor went nuts. All red boxes come up saying INSTALL THIS ANTI-VIRUS give us your credit card details & we will take it off of you. Right i am a blond bint but even i could see it was fake. I think its disgusting . I kept clicking NO & then my microsoft security essentials quarenteed it.It was a win32/fake vimes virus. Im so paranoid i have just run & downloaded the Orbit security anti virus trial & it has found 57 more threats.

I sometimes wonder whether these anti-virus companies who offer free trials send you a virus just to scare you so you use them to clear it up & then have to buy it from them . Please i need advice its gone now the virus it is in quarentine. Also i downloaded the microsoft malicious software removal tool & this helped too. I am new i dont know how this forum works yet thankyou.

Hello.

I have just joined this forum . Yesterday i clicked on a link & suddently my computor went nuts. All red boxes come up saying INSTALL THIS ANTI-VIRUS give us your credit card details & we will take it off of you. Right i am a blonde bint but even i could see it was fake. I think its disgusting . I kept clicking NO & then my microsoft security essentials quarenteed it.It was a win32/fake vimes virus. Im so paranoid i have just run & downloaded the Orbit security anti virus trial & it has found 57 more threats.

I sometimes wonder whether these anti-virus companies who offer free trials send you a virus just to scare you so you use them to clear it up & then have to buy it from them . Please i need advice its gone now the virus it is in quarentine. Also i downloaded the microsoft malicious software removal tool & this helped too. I am new i dont know how this forum works yet thankyou.

I am so sorry about my spelling. But i am angry & i am rushing i am a single mother & a digital artist. I have only been online for a year. I would love some advice off of you guys.

http://http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Threat/Encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?Name=Win32/FakeVimes

I think i made a mistake of downloading antivira-anti virus & SUPERanti-virus. My friend said i should only use MICROSOFT SECURITY ESSENTIALS. I am so paranoid i really do think these small anti-virus companies do send you a virus then make it safe then say "look what we did" we took your virus off now subscribe. I do think orbit is great i actually bought the package for $20.00 & i cant fault it for boosting your pc & everything. But i think its the trials that are dangerous . I have never had a virus never, but after i downloaded these last week it all started. I dont believe in using trial virus killers,only the ones you have paid for .Maybe im paranoid but it was since i downloaded them last week it all started. Please help i am in a bit of a state, how evil is that then all boxes came up supposed security boxes which WERE FAKE that looked like windows, if it was someone vulnerable they would click that in a panic & pay then they have your details & everthing i found out it was from bulgaria the attack. I think its absolutley disgusting . I am so paranoid. I have just downloaded the security scan from here & im worried about that now.In case i get sent a virus because it is a free trail.This is how it has seemed to me the free trial ones i downloaded i swear it was them or something attached to them. I would only ever use microsoft security essentials now the virus is quarentined also doing a system restore helps too as after the old virus progs were gone it was fine. I am so disillusioned with it all. If any of you can give me advice & help me i will be so gratefull thankyou.

Welcome

Welcome to the forum CATGELakaSKYA :smile:

I think i made a mistake of downloading antivira-anti virus & SUPERanti-virus.

First, if you mean SuperAntiSpyware then is great, it comes highly recommended.

Second, I think you mean Avira anti-virus (it has a red umbrella icon)? If yes then that is great too, it comes highly recommended.

I don't think either of these 2 products were causing you trouble, not on purpose anyway

If they were not exactly these products I mentioned then you probably had rougeware, see the next post.

Were you doing a free on-line scan when you got this Virus Alert message ?

You should not need to do an on-line scan unless instructed to by a member of a forum you trust.

After reading your post I do believe that Microsoft Security Essentials is the best solution for you because it is simply set and forget.

You install it and that is all you should ever have to do.

Did you un-install Avira ?

It is very important that you do, you should not have more than one ant-virus running at the same time. If you have not un-installed it yet please Exit Avira (turn it off) and un-install in the usual manner.

If you are unsure how to un-install, here is a link to the Avira page explaining the easy instructions.

http://www.avira.com/en/support/faqdetails.php?id=88

Did you un-install SuperAntiSpyware ?

You could keep SuperAntiSpyware if you wanted as it is not an anti-virus, it is an anti-spyware.

You could run a scan manually once a week but that is up to you.

If you haven't un-installed SuperAntiSpyware and you would like to, go to this website and follow the instructions to uninstall SuperAntiSpyware using the Uninstaller Assistant

http://www.superantispyware.com/supportfaqdisplay.html?faq=47

Im so paranoid i have just run & downloaded the Orbit security anti virus trial & it has found 57 more threats.

IObit does not make anti-virus software

If you installed Advanced System Care then these 57 threats could be spyware or something else, we would need more information of what was found.

If you installed and ran IObit Security 360 then the 57 threats could be Malware or even just mild cookies.

Again we would need more information to know for sure.

The main thing is that MSE has worked for you and this is great :smile:

Please let us know which IObit products you have installed and we can give advice if needed.

Also, do you have Windows XP or 7

Here is a very interesting read:

For helpfull information and tips please see Usage of IObit Products :-)

All the best, woz of oz

Hi you two ;

CATGELakaSKYA : according to the descriptions you've provided, you definitely installed a rogue (fake) program. Those will offer (force) you to scan your machine, then provide you with a list of "detections", then offer to clean them for a price. This is a well-known practice to get your money and these people are criminals.

That said, you must provide us with the exact name of these products to confirm, because they use names very similar to those of real, legitimate programs. You wrote "SUPERAnti-virus" : did you mean "SUPERAntispyware" ?

Like wozofoz asked, was it "antivira-anti virus" or really "Avira Personal Anti-virus" ?

Last question : are you still getting alerts from these "programs" ? If so, you would still be infected and need help to remove it/them.

===

Good catch

That said, you must provide us with the exact name of these products to confirm, because they use names very similar to those of real, legitimate programs. You wrote "SUPERAnti-virus" : did you mean "SUPERAntispyware" ?

Like wozofoz asked, was it "antivira-anti virus" or really "Avira Personal Anti-virus" ?

SuperAnti-virus Good catch So_sad :smile:

I admit to having a bit of a problem reading it correctly, so much anti-.....

I corrected my post :smile:

If you want to see what the real and legitimate software looks like here are the links.

Avira Personal Anti-virus

http://www.free-av.com/en/index.html

SuperAntispyware

http://www.superantispyware.com/

All the best, woz of oz

Hi there Woz :wink:

There are so many rogues out there now... with names and graphic interfaces that mimic the real programs. Enough to give anyone a headache.

I could have written "Avira AntiVir Personal Anti-Virus" for the legit program. Some people call it "Avira", others "AntiVir", whatever...

I recently saw a rogue using a name very similar, with the trademark umbrella on the interface as well ; I can't remember the name, but it looked like "AntiVir" for sure.

Yuck. And they make millions from these scams... using social engineering to scare people into buying licences for fake programs :evil:

===

Hi So-sad

We are all with you there I think!

I wonder if it has been put before the UN - and if so who has voted against a legislation to stop practices like this and all the other spam and viruses that floods the net?

In the old days they killed horsethieves because stealing a horse might be like a death sentence for the one they stole it from.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi there Woz :wink:

There are so many rogues out there now... with names and graphic interfaces that mimic the real programs. Enough to give anyone a headache.

I could have written "Avira AntiVir Personal Anti-Virus" for the legit program. Some people call it "Avira", others "AntiVir", whatever...

I recently saw a rogue using a name very similar, with the trademark umbrella on the interface as well ; I can't remember the name, but it looked like "AntiVir" for sure.

Yuck. And they make millions from these scams... using social engineering to scare people into buying licences for fake programs :evil:

===

Nasties

When CATGELakaSKYA said she clicked on a link and got the message I was instantly reminded of a time I wanted to download some software to test it and on the site it had an ad for a free on-line scan.

I had no intention of doing this scan but when I clicked on what I thought was the software Download Now button the on-line scan started.

It took me quite a while to cancel it and then I decided to disconnect from the internet and do full scans with my AV etc.

No problems but a bit scary :wink:

I went back another time to have a look and sure enough there was the small software Download button at the bottom of the page.

Maybe not exactly a scam but certainly a trap for the unwary like me :evil: (but not anymore)

All the best, woz of oz

LOL. I'm not sure this is part of the UN mandate. We're dealing with organized crime here, and they know all the loopholes in the different laws. They know where to set up shop so they won't be prosecuted. Not an impossible task, but people need to come together and fight this as a unified front. Politics.

==

On a side note, we have a new visitor on the forum with a new and highly sophisticated rogue onboard (process av.exe as a sign). This one is fierce and prevents all known tools from running. It can be fixed though.

===

Edit : I responded to solbjerg's message, not having seen Woz there. Woz : these things are all over the place now. Some educated and careful surfing shields you from those. And a good up-to-date antivirus doesn't hurt either :-)

Haven't had a chance to read through the entire thread, but looks like some great advice being given out. In regards to the fake anti-virus, usually a combo of Spybot S&D (yes, I know a lot of people have fallen out of favor with this program, but it does a great job helping to remove this particular infection) and a-squared does the trick. If the OP is not sure of what to remove then it might be wise to post a log on here after running the scans, as those two programs will detect quite a few false positives.

Archived