IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Smart Defrag not working...

Hi,

After we just upgraded to 1.45, SmartDefrag window will open, but when we try to manually analyze or defrag, it immediately stops. No error messages or anything.

Any ideas? We've uninstalled, deleted directory and registry entries, and then reinstalled, but the same thing is happening.

This is running on Windows XP Pro, SP3.

Thanks!

--Kent Iler

Hi kentiler,

Are you running it on a laptop with batteries? (Not connected to a wall power outlet)

If true, change the option "Do not defrag while using battery. (recommended)"to unchecked and Apply.

Sometimes checking applying and then unchecking applying helps.

Cheers.

I don't know if we are having the same problem, however, I have a similar situation. XPsp3 is my operating system and SD will load up and seem to work at first but it then seems to forget its purpose and just sits inactive.

I may have discovered if I don't click on SD in the taskbar it MAY still work.

I am exploring this solution and I will see if it permits SD to stay active.

KOR-

I seem to have a similar issue with v1.45 installed on XP Pro SP3. I have observed:

- very few auto defrags

- one auto defrag which worked ended with a non-responsive display

- sometimes it does not start after re-boot

- when manually started it minimises to iconbar not system area

I have used SD since release, so am aware of how it works. I have uninstalled it, deleted directory which it left(!), and deleted lots of registry entries with 'Smart' in them(!), then re-installed, but it is still the same.

I did first install v1.45 over v1.40 because that seemed to have stopped auto-defragging, so it may be something else (MS update?) which has affected it.

Hi enoskype

I have now uninstalled SD again, run BitRemover 1.41 (which claimed to remove 1 file and 2 registry entries), deleted the desktop icon manually (which was still there!), and re-installed.

Made sure Minimise to system tray and Load at startup were on, and that AutoDefrag was all enabled.

Left alone for well over 5 minutes ... no auto Defag yet.

Will check again after a re-boot, but not looking hopeful!

Thanks

After a reboot, SD did start automatically, and some time later (when idle) it did run one AutoDefrag. Although it was left on, it never ran another yesterday even when idle. It was hibernated overnight, and today, even though left idle for considerable periods between (considerable) use, it still has not run an AutoDefrag.

So, it may be better, but I think it is still not working correctly!

hmmmmm...

I had this similiar problem a while back with an earlier version, tried everyhting and just gave and uninstalled. I've been using Auslogics Disk Defrag ever since and very happy with it. My brother is also having problems with SD (old & new version) and probably move onto Auslogics. Maybe SD will get fixed in the near future.

Hi mavison

Hard to know what is going on!

A more verbose description of "the problem" would be a help in understanding "the problem"

Do you have much activity on your harddisk?

Do you have automatic defrag activated?

Do you at the same time have scheduled defrag activated?

Why?

What fragmentation level do you see as sufficient to start the defragmentation?

What settings have you chosen there?

What are your settings generally?

Cheers

solbjerg

Rebooted 3 days ago ... AutoDefrag ran soon after once, and not again since then.

I am sure that the frequency of AutoDefrag is now MUCH lower than it was, and may only be once after a re-boot.

I have my setting at auto-defrag and do NOT have it set on a scheduled defrag.

I have the settings at the same as I use to have but it only seems to run ONCE after a reboot.

It had always run several times a day until the new version.

KOR-

Hi KOR

Why do you run it several times a day??

Cheers

solbjerg

I have my setting at auto-defrag and do NOT have it set on a scheduled defrag.

I have the settings at the same as I use to have but it only seems to run ONCE after a reboot.

It had always run several times a day until the new version.

KOR-

Hi solberg

Hard to know what is going on! Indeed!

Do you have much activity on your harddisk? It is a laptop in daily use - dunno if that is 'much activity'. It is rarely rebooted, often hibernated. User FastSwitch is used.

Do you have automatic defrag activated? Yes

Do you at the same time have scheduled defrag activated? Never used it. However I have just gone to check this, but clicking on the 'Schedule' icon does nothing (it highlights, but 'Defrag now' is still highlit. Same with other icons. Ok after exit and restart

What fragmentation level do you see as sufficient to start the defragmentation? Just done an Analyse, which found 197 fragmented files, Fragmentation 0.11%. This may seem low, but SD used to AutoDefrag frequently with only 40-50 files.

What settings have you chosen there? Autodefrag enabled, pause above 50%, start after 5 mins idle.

What are your settings generally? All Options ticked.

Cheers

It use to run on auto-defrag several times a day. Now it will just run once after reboot and does nothing until another reboot. When I have gone into the main program the icons don't respond, non responsive to clicking on 'analyze' or showing last scan.

Hi KOR

Why do you run it several times a day??

Cheers

solbjerg

I had started to think SD was working, just doing AutoDefrags MUCH less frequently.

But I have just had to re-boot ... and SD did not even start again at boot!

It seems there are problems, but they are intermittent! I do wish problems would stand still while they are being investigated!

Rebooted again .... no SD.

Started SD, checked all options still ticked, closed ... did not minimise to tray but ended.

Started SD, unticked 'start at boot', then ticked it again and re-booted.

This time SD did start!

Saw suspicions about Ccleaner, so ran it to remove files and clean registry.

Left alone for some time ... and an AutoDefrag ran!

Checked that SD was still responsive afterwards - all seemed ok.

Now will have to wait again and see what happens longer term, but it would seem to rule out (in my case anyway) Ccleaner involvement.

I don't know what to make of my challenges with SD. CCleaner more than likely is NOT the problem. It seems that it has a life all its own.

I think I will let it be and let it do its job once after a reboot and see what the next version will offer.

KOR-

Well both

Sometimes refreshing settings helps whatever the application.

Good luck!! :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

I don't know what to make of my challenges with SD. CCleaner more than likely is NOT the problem. It seems that it has a life all its own.

I think I will let it be and let it do its job once after a reboot and see what the next version will offer.

KOR-

Oh dear. Last AutoDefrag 4 days ago. I opened the SD window, and again it has locked up as before: hover the mouse over AutoDefrag, Schedule, or Options and they 'highlight' gray. But the Defrag Now does not un-highlight, and clicks on any of them are ignored. Sigh.

Exited it from systray menu, and restarted it. Now icon clicks ARE actioned ... now to see if it will AutoDefrag ever again ...

Archived