IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Your back up program (How to use Macrium Reflect)

itsmejjj

open the help files and you find the answer to this..

itsmejjj

I am sorry for being a noob.But where I am stuck is after I hit the create an image wizard it gives you 3 options to save the image too. I want to save it to a new harddrive i have hooked up to the computer.I do not see the drive listed as an option in any of the 3 choices.I do however see it listed on the first page "Partition" with the disks listed.The old disk(original harddrive) has 2 partitions and is listed as "Disk 1" The new drive is listed on the bottom as "Disk 6".So how can I copy the old hard image if I do not see a choice in the "Local Hard disk"I am sorry for being so confused as where I can save the image too:oops:I also have XP and do not have anything to give screenshots like you do to help explain what I have maybe more clearly

no i may of read it wrong..

now from I what was thinking, amd understanding,you wanted to copy and use a old drives partition and use the OS? on a new larger drive

or

if you want to save a back up to the new drive ,?

or

make and save it to the new drive, a new image of the hard drive C:\

ok if its this one please look at the shots,

and i hope it helps you.

i am not the expert on this only what i have learned.from my friends here on iobit.

first of if its (the new hard drive) the one you want to save the image to

on a USB,or internally set i would think makes no difference..

look at my shots

and you should be able to find the drive..

you need to brows for the disk and make a folder..

jjj

http://www.macrium.com/support.asp

This was put on the Macrium Reflect forum.They had the same problem as me.There was no response tho on the forum:oops:

I just can not find the external drive when I click browse local hard disk .It is not listed anywhere there.I have it hooked up with a usb connection to the computer and it is listed on the "partition tab" as disk 6 so it is being seen by Macrium Reflect software.Thanks for all the help so far.

ok i cant tell you what your problem is.and why you cant find the drive,in my case no problem..

firt of rename your external drive to MY USBDRIVE..

help find it by you..

so here is what i suggest..make a image of your booting drive.and use the default drive it picks..when done.copy that image to the external drive in a folder.named something like my first backup or whatever..i do this often

for safe keeping..

if you lose the drive.you still have the back up.ok now insert the boot disk

then point to where its located at.i think you find it should see the external drive? and allow you to pick the back up you want to restore?

if not cancel the restore and boot up..back to normal use..make sure you still

have the same file on the default..(encase)if this works you are good..if not

i do not know why it XP cant see the drive with malcuim..program.but i have no problems with it..

other thing is perhaps you may need updated drivers for the usb?

:::I click browse local hard disk .It is not listed anywhere there:::

yes it should be at the bottom?

ok my ask to you can it see the drive? and did you click on the drive? and make a folder..? the external drive when in the browser pane..?

as shown on my last capture shot?

and what version are you using my one is

itsmejjj

oh yes a other thing leave the usb drive on ! when rebooting?

don't turn it of..this can help?

sorry if i cant help you as i said our expert on this has left..and i am looking around to help you..now the version could be the thing? the build i am talking about my one is 2525..and i never updated or allow it to..this build you can still get hold of if you Google for it..look at the shot for the version..

ask and i shall try to help .

any one els please post and help as well

jjj

Using the backup system in Advanced Care.

May be you could inform me in some way. When making a back up, it is automatically directed to C:. whitout any choice to put it on an external disk, so ...do you know if it is possible to indicate another path, or...to prefer choosing another program than that one.

Thanks.

please note some one changed the heading of the thread

i am using this application as a example how easy the .or A back up program can save the day..and this one is not the only one out there.but we found

very good..

PLEASE USE YOUR PREFERRED ONE...

thank you..

here we go again..this is and should be part of your system :

a fully working back up application..what it may be is preference .

we will again demonstrate.this one, that i have come to like.

its been talked about before and we shall again bore you to death..

why?

read the many complaining of things that went wrong.with a system after a application is installed and run! on a system.without fully knowing why one did!

or fore the sake yes lets try that out looks good!

"and why not that is why we use a computer to play around and have fun."

the help me please posts..as in

" i can not get this or that to run." or " i lost my ability to do this or that".

"all my this and that is gone.how can i get them back.?"

"my restore fails"..and so on we read the cry for help me..

right.now you should be able and can restore your system.no mater what you have installed ,run ,used,even kill the drive, to a black screen,blue,will not boot..system, this will not matter..

so here we go first of all you need to download your back up program you prefer and trust..

to do the job properly..but for the sake of this post we talk about this one...

itsmejjj

Hi Mark,...

Hey, Mark..., it isn't really clear to me what you are trying to do.

The easiest way to restore your saved image to another equal size or larger harddrive is to replace your C drive with the new drive.

Unless there is a good reason to increase the size of your C: drive, I'd recommend that you make 2 partitions on the larger drive. For instance if you're C: drive is 80 GB and your new harddrive is 200 gb, you can make the first partition an active 80gb partition and the remaining 120gb into another or 2nd partition.

Then replace the C: drive with the 200 gb drive and slap in your rescue CD and restore the backup image to the 80gb partition of the new drive.

I don't understand why you would want to restore your image to an external drive unless you're using a docking station and plan to put the new drive into your C: positon inside your computer.

Give me more info and maybe I can also be of help.

One reason I've had a lot of experience with Macrium Reflect is that two of my desktops developed hardware motherboard problems and until I discovered these problems... replaced the motherboards on them and then restored my images.... I was about to wear out the Macrium Relfect software. ha ha..

/// Wildwilllie.. :-)

You can also simply replace your C: drive with a larger harddrive and just use your rescue CD and you will have the choice of installing you backup image on the new drive and you will then have the choice of increasing the size of your new drive with the slider, to use the entire new drive.

I don't recommend this, because you are then stuck ... always having to restore your image to a drive that is the size of this new larger drive... or to another harddrive that is even larger.

Hey, Mark..., it isn't really clear to me what you are trying to do.

The easiest way to restore your saved image to another equal size or larger harddrive is to replace your C drive with the new drive.

Unless there is a good reason to increase the size of your C: drive, I'd recommend that you make 2 partitions on the larger drive. For instance if you're C: drive is 80 GB and your new harddrive is 200 gb, you can make the first partition an active 80gb partition and the remaining 120gb into another or 2nd partition.

Then replace the C: drive with the 200 gb drive and slap in your rescue CD and restore the backup image to the 80gb partition of the new drive.

I don't understand why you would want to restore your image to an external drive unless you're using a docking station and plan to put the new drive into your C: positon inside your computer.

Give me more info and maybe I can also be of help.

One reason I've had a lot of experience with Macrium Reflect is that two of my desktops developed hardware motherboard problems and until I discovered these problems... replaced the motherboards on them and then restored my images.... I was about to wear out the Macrium Relfect software. ha ha..

/// Wildwilllie.. :-)

You can also simply replace your C: drive with a larger harddrive and just use your rescue CD and you will have the choice of installing you backup image on the new drive and you will then have the choice of increasing the size of your new drive with the slider, to use the entire new drive.

I don't recommend this, because you are then stuck ... always having to restore your image to a drive that is the size of this new larger drive... or to another harddrive that is even larger.

Ok let me start from scratch,I bought a new internal 500 gb harddrive to replace the 80gb in my computer.I have the new harddrive hooked upwith this settup

http://www.amazon.com/USB-2-0-SATA-Cable-Adapter/dp/B001OORN06/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1280274145&sr=8-1

I thought this woud be the easiest thing to do.To use Macriuum reflect to image the harddrive in the computer and copy the image to the new hardrive with the setup above with the usb cable.All I want to do is get the new harddrive in my computer with the image of the old harddrive on it(so i wont have to load the os and all the programs).If there is an easier way to do it I will be ready for it:-P.

Hi.. Mark... I'm gonna go to bed, but..

So.. quién sabe??.. Maybe I can help...

I don't understand why you want to use a cable... or a docking station or whatever... It's really confusing to me..??

I have 2 cable systems... 3 docking stations... 2 external harddrives.. 6 computers that I use daily... (I trade stocks... mostly successfully & profitably.. I'm blessed)

I don't understand why you seem to want to make the Macrium Backup system complicated. .. It works GREAT?

All you need to do is to take out or remove ... aka (also known as) REPLACE your #1 drive (aka C: drive) with the new drive.. Then use the recovery CD & follow the prompts.

IF YOU DON'T SEE the external drive or whatever drive that contains your bakup file then... if it is a USB drive .. turn it off... wait about a minute.then turn it on again..

WAIT 2 MINUTES... (Then you'll see on the bottom portion of the recovery screen .. a refresh box..... click on it.. (REFRESH)

You probably won't have "don't recognize Hardrive problem "unless you're using a Verbatim external harddrive" as they are funky) (Verbatim sucks..)

Tell Macrium Reflect where the backup file is located and follow the prompts..

You shouldn't have any problems..

/// WW...

I'm tired & gonna go to bed.

[Edit: No reason to mention a banned member here]

All you need to do is to take out or remove ... aka (also known as) REPLACE your #1 drive (aka C: drive) with the new drive.. Then use the recovery CD & follow the prompts.

Ok so I make a recovery cd first? I read that it could take 2 or more cds ?

Could I open up the machine and put in new hardrive and leave the old harddrive in there.Then maybe it will see the new harddrive and assign it a letter etc. Then I could run the wizard save the image to the new drive and then check image.If image checks out ok then remove old harddrive and I am set?Thanks for all the help.

May be you could inform me in some way. When making a back up, it is automatically directed to C:. whiteout any choice to put it on an external disk

no

the program would select a "non booting drive.."

or a different drive of your choosing.by browsing for the drive...

to save the image to..when backing up a booting drive.

if you have a USB attached.

if you have a internal drive attached..

ok

Could I open up the machine and put in new hardrive and leave the old harddrive in there.Then maybe it will see the new harddrive and assign it a letter etc.

yes probably a good idea if you have problems using a usb link..

it would find it automatically. then use the slider as to how large you want it to be..

Ok let me start from scratch,I bought a new internal 500 gb hard drive to replace the 80gb in my computer.I have the new hard drive hooked up with this settup

All I want to do is get the new hard drive in my computer with the image of the old hard drive on it(so i wont have to load the os and all the programs).If there is an easier way to do it I will be ready for it.

so what are we talking about here?

backing up ,or replacing a old OS to a new hard drive?

ether way its been already stated how..i think my advice is go to there forum

and tell them the problem you are having with there soft ware..

or read the post already made how to achieve this..

i dont have a problem with the soft ware.when backing up my OS booting drives.

to a external drive.nor if transferring to a new lager drive..

now this is gone from a ask to a full blown essay on the soft ware..

and i shall pull up here

you answers are already posted how...and if you have problems with the soft ware like i stated go to there forum and ask again..

sorry if this sounds rude .read the caps carefully and the posts how.

if it cant see the drive could be faulty?

the thread was intended to make readers aware to back up there drives.

what thy use is a matter of preference

if this fails try a other backup application..that will do the job..but i cant see why it cant for you..???

itsmejjj

No you are not being rude at all ,Thanks for all the help.I was hoping not to have to pay $40 for the registered vers. just for support.I found a thread on the Macrium Reflect forums about this site.So I thought I would post some questions here.Thanks again for helping me out I really appreciate it.

your very welcome,and keep at it.

all i can say is the application should see any drive attached to a system .even by a USB linked cable..as i have shown in the live captured attachments

to save confusion.rename each drive,and the usb drive ,my usb..

then run the ,booting CD (mailcuim) ,and try again.the problem is ,you must have it internally plunged in.if wanting to transfer the OS to a larger disk.

the safe way to do it disengage the usb drive..to be sure.if this is the problem.

so you should see 2 drives one at 80gig that has a image of itself(backup) that you copied to ready to tranfer to

the other 500gig..new one empty.

where it will be transferred to..and use the slider as to how much you want it to be in zise..

when done

shut down the pc.unplug it from the wall(safe)

take out the smaller one..and the replace the bigger one in its place,

test it..

to make sure it boots.

and back it up..if its OK..

now if you want,

format the smaller one and put it in 2nd place..

or:

if just backing up a os then you can transfer that backup image to a usb external drive..

any how good luck with the app..

itsmejjj

Macrium Reflect & harddrive Confusion... ?

Howdy... from Oklahoma, USA

So OK... I've thought about it and I agree with JJ... the posts tell you what you need to know, but maybe we missed something...

Maybe the problem is simpler than we all thought. I'm thinking that you JUST MIGHT have an unallocated & unformated harddrive.

If you have not INITIALIZED your new 500gb drive & formatted it, then your 'puter will not see it, except in the Administrative Mode.

(using XP..) WITH THE DRIVE hooked up (internally or with the cable)..

1. go to SETTINGS

2. and then CONTROL PANEL

3. Then click on ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS

4. Next click on COMPUTER MANAGEMENT

5. And then Click on Disk MANAGEMENT

AFTER ITEM #5 above, you'll probably have a WIZARD box or screen... (you could use this, but I recommend you click it off.)

The disk management screen (or box) is in 3 parts... (There are 3 sections)

On the bottom right side of the Box, you should see your harddrive(s) and CD etc. drives. Your NEW 500gb drive will probably be there with a black bar at the top of the depiction.

What you POSSIBLY have is in UNALLOCATED & UNFORMATED drive.

Now, we're only concerned with the bottom right side of the box.

Click on the left side of the 500gb "unallocated" drive with the black bar at the top of the depiction.

It will give you the option of initializing the drive.. DO IT..!

Afterwards, click on the right side of that same "drive depiction" and then click on FORMAT.. & DO IT..!

Your computer will basically NOT SEE this new drive until it has been initialized and formatted.

This may be your FIRST PROBLEM.

If this is the situation, then follow the above instructions and THEN READ the posts... Everything will then work.. (if not we'll try to help you further.)

bye bye WW

ADDENDUM...

I failed to mention that you should click on START and then settings, etc.

The BOTTOM LINE is that you need to go to the CONTROL PANEL.

[Edit: No reason to mention a banned member here]

nice talking piont.

good point,but he already stated that Malcolm can see the disk.but cant brows

the disk (usb)

since its new ,the os would of complained it needed a format?

and give him the option to do so.

or this could be done using a installing OS CD..if it failed.

or use your method ether way would not hurt..

the other thing is using a usb cable link to a drive, should make no difference transferring files. (copy past) or save to by a os..

but what we are talking about is transferring the whole booting drive to a new one.? (larger) in our case 500gig drive.?

this should be done,this way

first ,you need to have a image..ok to make one you need a external drive.

or a separate drive..internal.in our case here 500gig drive that i suggest install internal for now for this case we are talking about..

step 1 install the new drive.(formatted) done.

step 2 make a image of the c:\drive.

save to the new drive d:\(500gig) by malcuim

step 3 copy that image to to c:\drive in a folder name my back up from the new drive.500gig

as it will be over written.the Image made by the back up.malcuim

step 4 insert the malcuim disk (made) and boot it up

then select the image (my backup) on the c:\drive (not the d:\drive!)

click the file image

run it..and follow the screen progress.to where its needed to go to in our case D:(500gig) the pop up widow, will show itself -

use the slider.for a full usage of the drive ,or select the amount you want.

lets amuse 200gig.leaving you with 300gig as a other drive(d:\split in 2 parts

when this is done

next step.

as i pointed out replace the drive d: to the c: cable. take it out.the 80 gig drive

then switch, on the system The power On At the wall)

start the PC

and it should now boot with the 500gig drive..

remember you can now if you want put in the spare 80gig drive in the external box format it..after you copy the image back to the 500gig drive in a new folder..and any files you may want to keep.

use it now for backing up files..

if you look at my snap shots i did this to my drives ,in my case c:\d:\

left my h as a fully store drive..

now have duel booting .system .using the meted bit of fiddling

then inserted the my repair disk found my OS (2) created a booting menu

at the start up.pic the one to boot up the system..

whallah and its all good.then backed up all the booting drive (new)

as this was pointed out to me using the backup application. i could achieve this easy..

itsmejjj

• 3 weeks later...

Hello boys and gurls

a question about this software, the size of the backups you create...are thei supposed to be this powerful, im trying to backup a folder on 67 Gb

(note this is not a OS disc we talk about) so im gonna backup video files

the output became on 67 Gb also...even though i setted it to use "high" compression, this was not what i hade expected, but what do i know..this is my first backup software

so let me ask this question...is this perhaps how people generally have it? all your backuped video files on 67 Gb lies on another of your hard drives and just take up the same space as the source hard drive?

cause who can burn this 67 Gb file to a single DVD-RW disc,

the only solution i can come up with otherwise is to own a portable USB hard hard drive that you will up with this kinds of large files? i have off course no such equipment 8:)

• 2 months later...

ok been a while since we discussed this .how to transfer a smaller os IMAGE to a large drive ..

pretty easy using this application..

just one thing you need that image.of your small drive..made by this app maulcuim.. lets say 200 gig..and you want to transfer this to a large drive..

step one in with the boot disk.

point to the image.

next point to the new drive,where this will be restored to.lets say e:\

follow the steps and then when faced with the am~mount (slider) you then decide how much of the new drive to use..very easy and simple..

you can slide the bar to full use.so not to split the large drive.

hit next let it do its thing.when done,option is ?

remove the small drive,,reboot...now you should be on that drive booted and running with the new drive..or leave it there(the small drive)

NOTE :

now you may need the MS repair methed to find the new OS DRIVE,so to add it to your boot menu..just use your install disk and hit repair ..then reboot using the new menu..

this is a nice added option to keep your os..

itsmejjj

ok i should of mentioned if you try this with XP the transferring OS drive, and have win7 on the drive lets say a duel system it wail brake..

what i am saying is your small drive version OS has to be VISTA or win7..

if that is what you are faced with..on the other boot drive.os being the VISTA OS or win7 os.

if its XP any version you be fine as thy will boot .the new added and older XP..

.or as in vista,or win7..

i hope i explained this properly?

itsmejjj

Archived