IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Smart Ram does not show window after partial reinstall of computer

Nemelis

Hi,

On my work-laptop Smart RAM does not show any window anymore after I had to do a partial reinstallation (and therefore also a reinstall of all my applications among which ASC).

Smart RAM does show up in the icon-tray. But I would like to be able change the settings for which I need the window (and I want to be able to see the performance-view via Smart RAM).

Does anybody know what could be the trouble?

I already did a complete de-install and re-install of ASC, but that did not help.

(And ofcourse I did a complete restart of my laptop ;-) )

On my work-laptop Smart RAM does not show any window anymore after I had to do a partial re installation (and therefore also a reinstall of all my applications among which ASC).

may i ask why ?our be that non of our business

--the reason for asking.

did you have your system backed up (image file) would of saved you from reinstalling or overlapping your applications.and avoided this problem

itsmejjj

Hi Nemelis

Could you please explain to me what a partial reinstallation is?

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi,

On my work-laptop Smart RAM does not show any window anymore after I had to do a partial reinstallation (and therefore also a reinstall of all my applications among which ASC).

Smart RAM does show up in the icon-tray. But I would like to be able change the settings for which I need the window (and I want to be able to see the performance-view via Smart RAM).

Does anybody know what could be the trouble?

I already did a complete de-install and re-install of ASC, but that did not help.

(And ofcourse I did a complete restart of my laptop ;-) )

@itsmejjj no problem:

Due to an MSN-virus (gllod to be exact) (which I immediately removed using a number of virus-removal tools) my windows-installation was damaged in such a way that locking my computer caused a hang-up, which could only be overcome by completely restarting the laptop.

Since I have to lock my computer often, we - the system support group and I - decided to reinstall windows.

Since I have install all non-system programs on my D: partition and use my C: partition only for system I would not loose any data by only reinstalling windows

But it did mean that I had to reinstall all programs again (eventhough they were still "installed" on D:). We normally use backups, but since we don't know the if the virus had infected them as well I did not want to use them The virus has been going around our company as a wildfire in dry wood for the lasst month: Even when you are not logged on MSN (which was the case with me) it apparently could spread :evil:. Thus goodbye MSN for me (but to late)

@solbjerg: a partial reinstallation means that only my system-partition had to be reinstalled, but that my data-partition (D:) survived.

@enoskype: I did not use it, but done now (and have the following Change Requests):

As I stated above I do not install all my software on my system-partition (C:). But also on D: (or any other drive-letter for my data-partition). But BitRemover only looks in C:\Program Files and when it can't find ASC it self it nicely asks you to point it where it is installed in C:\Program Files (you are not able to point it to D:\Program Files). Thus it does not work when you have a seperate data-partition, as in my case.

Thus after deinstalling running BitRemover and reinstalling ASC again Smart Ram still does not show it's window.

Since I have install all non-system programs on my D: partition and use my C: partition only for system I would not loose any data by only reinstalling windows

yes correct we use to do this ourselves as you describe,and found out its probably not a good idea..as you are finding out..now this could make the problem even worse,trying to overlap the install.of application..as win would be writing files to that drive,in your case d:\thy are interconnected

for the use with win and its duplications..of the programs..pointing to the installed apps..and now conflicting..yes even if you reinstalled the programs .from the drive d:\

i hope i am not confusing you what i mean..

ok may i suggest ?

do a restore with the back up image.and test it out.if at all the virus attached itself to the image,i think probably not.and its safe to say i would use it.

but be advised it may of since you use the drive as your data and running of programs.d:\ again i think not a good idea...as we have stopped this practice our selfs..

can you scan the image? first? to check it.i cant see why not

use a scanner and point to the file and scan it..?

if not take the risk its clean.

ok first

step kill the drive c:\format ?

before you do this ..make sure you backed up the drive first..even if its dirty.

please use your install cd,AS if reinstalling the drive.

do not use the update install but use manual settings..

pick the drive c:\where win is installed ,and kill it (c:\)

now reset fully use.all of the drive.c:\ and a fast format.

when done

now close the program win install.reboot have your rescue disk in the cd drive.

boot from it.pick your back up and install the image..

i know it sound scary .formatting the drive c:/but you be ok..

make sure its a quick format only..not a deep format

this will rid the virus..and the widows plus every thing on it..as you would know

we have done this many time not a problem.but i understand if you feel

it is not your idea to do it this way..

before you do .back up the drive c:\to a separate directory..to cover your self..or if at all possible to a usb drive...a better way to do it..

what you think

want to risk the idea?

itsmejjj

If it was my personal laptop (the one I'm using to write this reply, that is why it has a different IP-adres) I would do it. But that one works fine, never had a virus (knock on wood) (maybe since I never used MSN on it for the last year and a half ;-) and use a combination of Spybot SD, ASC and Norton 360 from the start onwards to protect my personal laptop).

But if a virus like Glodd had had impact on my personal laptop as it had on my work-laptopt, the first thing I probably would have done was a complete format and reinstall.

But since I've already been busy for half a week fixing the damage the virus has done on my work-laptop in the way I did / had to do since I COULD not loose the data that is on it (since we did not trust the backups), and since now the only remaining problem (which only popped up after the reinstallation of windows) is that Smart Ram does not show a window, I think that my boss will not agree with your proposed solution.

But most of the problems you are referening to are either related to the windows registry which - after reinstallation - indeed does not know that there is also a "program files" folder on D: . And thus you have to reinstall the programs. No big deal for me.

And ofcourse there are a number of programs which still tend to drop the dll's they use in the window's folder i.s.o. in their own folder. Missing dll's can be another reason for the need of a reinstallation of programs after a reinstallation of windows.

But on the other hand general dll's replaced by one program which are also used by another can also be a pain in the ... behind when debugging that other program.

But that is enough about that, since everybody has his/hers own view / "believe" on that subject ;-)

If there is another way of making BitRemover also look for installations of ASC, Smart RAM and other IObit tools on my D-drive as well I think it might fix it as well, since as far as I could see BitRemover is doing part of it's job in the registry removing old links to ASC and Smart RAM tools. And the deinstallation of ASC should have taken care of removing any unwanted general dll's.

the first thing I probably would have done was a complete format and reinstall.

I think that my boss will not agree with your proposed solution.

ok just a idea and its very informative your post.thank you for the time .

i agree with you comments..

and i do hope you join our community,as your are well versed on windows and programs.

i am impressed and the lovely post .. plus you understood my reply!

this also impressed me .thank you kindly..

itsmejjj

Archived