IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

ubuntu

@@@://www.ubuntu.com/

new version

well i have posted this before all version failed to install..and i tried every thing..

read a heap on this..as i really wanted to try it out..today success

i took a 200gig drive.killed the partition..then plugged it in the unit..

in with the version 9.10..ubuntu CD -- gave it a other try..hit install.

then let the application .use the total drive..it made its partition.using its format..then to my suprize it started..installing.use the auto log on.pas word .

just one key .and it went all in.rebooted and out with the cd.and it went perfect..

next upgraded 287 files..and its went beautifully..

so at last its running.and very fast indeed..

1 meg of ram .i cant be leave the speed..now if someone can ex plane

how do i install a downloaded tar.bz file?

i open the file and cant find a setup.or install file to kick it in..

i have 3 downloaded but non have this in there files..

and i would love some help here..

many thanks ..

oh yes and what fire wall to use ...the one i did download .had to make a cd.

but it formats the drive! so that is not on..

i do not want to risk losing the OS ..perhaps i got lucky it went all ok..

and do not want to lose it..

itsmejjj

Dear JJJ

Hard to believe you are trying your first Linux OS! Can't help you here... just backup one of your machines and go for it... I have never used Ubuntu but one of my friends swears by it. His XP serves as a platform only and Ubuntu uses the DOS functions in it to execute commands.

hi mell

i have been playing with it for 7 hours now and just sort of getting the idea..

and its very pretty and runs very smooth.its a pure Linux system..

i have a lot to understand..

i just am scared to muck it up ...and being very care full in what i try..

i need to know how to back it up as well...

bar installing my downloads files..i can use the add ons over 280 and thy will install.but the fire fox i downloaded cant find the setup in the file..so nothing happens..i see them in downloads..all the files but no setup.file that i can hit .to install it..

itsmejjj

is there a unbutu user ? and could you please help me?

i cant work out how to install a download file that sits in my system.i cant see a setup exe that i can set of to install the application..i have no idea where to find it ,when i unzipped it to a directory .

this is a strange operating system.and its like being in outer space for me..

i have no idea at all .

i have no idea what its doing on the nett ,cant see what ports ,info its sending out so i unplugged it ..there are a heap of apps but thy need the net.that is a worry.as i have to allow what ever it (thy)install...i have no ruddy fire wall that will install,and the one i did ,douse nothing! i cant see what its doing.nor have a clue..

so i am playing with it NO modem till i can work it out if ever..its certainly nothing like win systems..

i have read pages and pages on there forum.not much help that i can find.

its seems a volunteer base system.and hard for asking users to gets a decent answer..not that friendly..

many kind thank you..

itsmejjj

• 2 weeks later...

Archived