IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Fast Optimize Woes

I've been using smart defrag for years now and really like the program. I prefer it to all of the other defrag tools I've tried in the past. It is just a really great program, nothing else to say really!

However the last Fast Optimize I did this afternoon left me with some problems. I hadn't done any defrag in a very long time (6months+) and had installed many new applications since my last one. My drive wasn't that badly fragmented (about 8%) and after a few hours it was all said and done, down to .01%. Yay I thought, and went to open my media player to play some music.

But I got an error message saying the shortcut was no longer valid. So I checked the installation folder and most of the files were gone from it.

I thought this was odd, so checked a few other programs. Most of the programs I use on a regular basis are all gone now, and I can't figure out where their installations where moved to/deleted to. I can only assume that something went wrong during the optimize (as I understand it your files are moved on the hardrive to a more prime location for faster seeking speeds).

If anyone has experienced this before or has any tips I'd greatly appreciate it. I don't want to go through the hassle of reinstalling what looks like 10+ programs and reconfiguring them all to the way I liked them.

Some programs that were messed up include:

-Mediamonkey

-Logitech Setpoint

-CCleaner

-WinDirStat

-ActiveDesktopCalander

-Microsoft Office 2007

-Steam and my entire game library

-Utorrent

-Karin Replicator

-Bulk Rename Utility

-iRotate

-ImgBurn

-WinRar

-Total Video Converter

-VLC

-TerraCopy

-Revo Uninstaller

-Malwarebytes

-Foxit Reader

-Handbreak

-ComicRack

As you can see, that is actually most of the programs I had installed, and they are either missing or completely malfunctional now. I'm not sure if you can just go back a restore point and fix this up, but I'd rather not spend my day off tomorrow either doing a fresh install or reinstalling all of my programs.

Edit: Oh, I just tried opening SmartDefrag to see if I could find a log of the defrag and optimize, and lo and behold, smartdefrag is messed up. :(

Hi sanman,

For further investigating your issue, please provide us the below information.

1, Please right click any one of these programs' shortcut file>>select "Properties">>copy the information in "Target" and post it here.

2, Please search your computer any one of those programs to see where you can find the installation files. And tell us the path.

3, Before you have this problem, did you have any problem regarding explorer.exe?

As you know, Smart Defrag just moves the files on the hard drives, it will not delete your files. It will not cause such problems normally.

For Ccleaner

""C:\Installed Applications\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe""

That is the path in question, and here is a screenshot of the contents of said folder:

http://i35.tinypic.com/bzhxx.png

And no, I had no problems with explorer today or in the past few weeks. It wasn't acting up in any way really. As you can see in the picture, the Ccleaner folder isn't even in the installed applications directory anymore. Here is another shot of the SmartDefrag Installation Directory:

"C:\Installed Applications\SmartDefrag\unins000.exe"

http://i35.tinypic.com/2mzh9ms.png

I'm aware that this isn't normal behavior for SmartDefrag. My hunch is that something just went haywire while the defrag occurred and it probably had to do with me using my computer while it was defragging. I've never had problems in the past with this, but I can accept that as reason enough. Although watching a movie and downloading a torrent and browsing the web for the four+ hours your computer defrags shouldn't be too much of a problem I'd imagine.

Hi sanman,

Can you tell us your operation system.

Did you save your programs installation files to "C:\Installed Applications" automatically or by manually set the path during the installation process.

And then please take screen shots of the below disk or folders.

1, Take a screen shot of the contents in your C drive.

2, Take a screen shot of the contents in C:\Program Files.

3, Take a screen shot of the contects in C:\Installed Applications.

4, If there is CCleaner and Smart Defrag folder in Program Files, please take a screen shot of the contents in both the folders.

Hi sanman,

Can you tell us your operation system.

Did you save your programs installation files to "C:\Installed Applications" automatically or by manually set the path during the installation process.

And then please take screen shots of the below disk or folders.

1, Take a screen shot of the contents in your C drive.

2, Take a screen shot of the contents in C:\Program Files.

3, Take a screen shot of the contects in C:\Installed Applications.

4, If there is CCleaner and Smart Defrag folder in Program Files, please take a screen shot of the contents in both the folders.

Hi cicely,

Thank you for your support, but I went ahead and did a clean installation of the OS this morning to alleviate the situation. I am using win7 64-bit, and the path I chose to install programs "Installed Applications" was not the default path, I chose to install most of my applications there over program files. However this time I will let everything default to C:\Program Files I think.

I will continue to use Smart Defrag because I like the software, and I will let you know if I have any further problems.

Thank you for the wonderful piece of software!

Archived