IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

What does High Risk mean?

pormike11

Low risk mean that after you clean the registry, your computer stands little chance of having problems related to the cleaning. Getting rid of high-risk items will have a very good chance of causing problems if you decide to remove all of them. If you decide to remove the high-risk items, make sure you have a good system backup.

Hi pormike

You are right, we ought to update Usage of IObit Products so that it will explain this too.

Haven't had very much free time on my hands the last ½ year or more, but I will keep it in mind. Thank you :-)

As zegman says - the high risk are keys in the registry where it may be risky to "clean" them away, implicit in that lays that one ought to check them thoroughly before accepting to "clean" them, there may be some amongst them that are somewhat necessary for some application, especially in my experience if you have deleted programs recently.

But that said I still think that the Iobit approach to reg. cleaning is "softer" than many other applications - but bottom line - check thoroughly before "cleaning" them anyway. At least make a copy of your registry before tampering with it - that should always be done by the way!! - even if we are lazy buggers all of us :-)

I will conclude on the note that it isn't necessary to clean the registry terribly often if you are a "normal" user - and not given to install and uninstall 10 programs a day.

Cheers

solbjerg

I just ran Toolbox's Registry Scanner and it came up with 55 errors ranging from low risk to high risk. Low risk or high risk for whom? There is NO explanation anywhere ... grrrrrrr!

The use of the term High Risk in the IObit Toolbox registry cleaner is confusing: does it mean that the error is severe or that it is unsafe to delete it? The one is the opposite of the other. Other registry cleaners such as Macecraft's jv16 PowerTools and TweakNow RegCleaner are clearer. jv16 has an Error Severity score: the higher the score, the more vital it is to fix the error. TweakNow color codes the errors: green ones are safe to delete. Moreover, the IObit Toolbox registry cleaner finds 315 errors in my registry where the other two find none. It is dangerous to delete false positives from the registry.

Administrators and Computer Geeks

I agree that the wording is confusing and I wondered the same thing, hopefully an explanation of the risks will be added to the interface.

What I did notice is that the High Risk items are not Ticked for fixing by default, I took this as a sign that High Risk meant that it might be dangerous to delete them and I should check every one thoroughly before Ticking the individual box.

Advanced System Care Free or Advanced System Care Pro is the IObit product designed for the 'home/average user' it being easy to use and 'cautious' in what it does.

IObit Toolbox is not designed for the 'home/average user', it is designed for Administrators and Computer Geeks and this is stated many times on the website.

Administrators and Computer Geeks should know the inherent risks involved when making any changes to the registry and always proceed with caution

From the IObit Toolbox web page:

IObit Toolbox

Must-have System Utilities for Administrators and Computer Geeks

Your ultimate toolkit for fixing PC problems

IObit Toolbox is FREE portable software that system administrators and computer geeks will take along to solve PC problems anytime and anywhere. With more than 20 dedicated tools,IObit Toolbox allows you to display/diagnose PC information, enhance PC security, optimize PC performance and repair PC problems.

In a word, IObit Toolbox offers an easy way for PC admin to monitor and manage computers. It can be used for both commercial and non-commercial purposes.

All the best, woz of oz

Hi groucho

You are right, - but one gets a hint as to the meaning when one sees that these "high Risk" items aren't checked for deletion. And the legend about these high risk files does say that you should be careful and check every item.

Also in the settings one can choose not to use the deep clean.

About comparison between cleaners

The different cleaners have different parameters, so if you had run the programs in the reverse order you would probably have seen that your 2 other programs had found items that the toolbox regcleaner had "missed".

By the way I find it a bit risky to run more than one regcleaner.

Especially if cleaning often with all of them, - a couple of times a month should be sufficient for the vast majority of people in my opinion.

I have the impression that the regcleaner in Toolbox is a bit more aggressive than the one in ASC, but I haven't experienced any mishaps on account of using them.

Cheers

solbjerg

The use of the term High Risk in the IObit Toolbox registry cleaner is confusing: does it mean that the error is severe or that it is unsafe to delete it? The one is the opposite of the other. Other registry cleaners such as Macecraft's jv16 PowerTools and TweakNow RegCleaner are clearer. jv16 has an Error Severity score: the higher the score, the more vital it is to fix the error. TweakNow color codes the errors: green ones are safe to delete. Moreover, the IObit Toolbox registry cleaner finds 315 errors in my registry where the other two find none. It is dangerous to delete false positives from the registry.

With all due respect to the administrators who have answered my initial post, the Toolbox Registry Cleaner needs to make it very clear what High Risk means and which entries are absolutely safe to delete. Also, it needs to sort the problems by the risk level itself (Low, Medium, High) and not by the name of the risk level (High, Low, Medium), as it currently does. The scanning engine is also problematic. I have just run a full scan of my registry, including the Deep Scan, and the Registry Cleaner found no less than 5589 problems in my registry, of which the vast majority are High Risk and are not checked. Only 28 are Medium Risk or Low Risk and are checked for deletion. It may be unsafe to use more than one registry cleaner, but it is even more unsafe to use only one, because of the danger of deleting false positives and damaging your whole system. Using more than one cleaner is a good way of checking up on each of them to make sure that both cleaners agree. This is why Macecraft's jv16 Power Tools has a safe registry-cleaning setting in which two scanning engines are used and only when they agree is the item flagged as a problem that needs fixing. Hope this helps.

Hi groucho

Answering adninistrator are not usually IObit employees.

But I agree with you that it would be better if the program told the user that high risk meant that "cleaning" those was done at your own peril.

As for the rest of your conclusions it is difficult to know how much high risk items are generated by running your other registry cleaners first or in between. If something is removed by them it will leave leftovers that might be seen as redundant by the IObit registry cleaner - and this goes for the reverse procedure too, - as I understand it.

Cheers

solbjerg

With all due respect to the administrators who have answered my initial post, the Toolbox Registry Cleaner needs to make it very clear what High Risk means and which entries are absolutely safe to delete. Also, it needs to sort the problems by the risk level itself (Low, Medium, High) and not by the name of the risk level (High, Low, Medium), as it currently does. The scanning engine is also problematic. I have just run a full scan of my registry, including the Deep Scan, and the Registry Cleaner found no less than 5589 problems in my registry, of which the vast majority are High Risk and are not checked. Only 28 are Medium Risk or Low Risk and are checked for deletion. It may be unsafe to use more than one registry cleaner, but it is even more unsafe to use only one, because of the danger of deleting false positives and damaging your whole system. Using more than one cleaner is a good way of checking up on each of them to make sure that both cleaners agree. This is why Macecraft's jv16 Power Tools has a safe registry-cleaning setting in which two scanning engines are used and only when they agree is the item flagged as a problem that needs fixing. Hope this helps.

Archived