IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Why is my MFT split up?

I admitt I get so used to just clicking the buttons that I really have not watched this before...but I do know that the MFT now is split up into quite a few places...Im pretty sure diskeeper and auslogics didnt do that

anyway...how do I get it back together...or do I even need to worry about it?

Thanks

Hi dirtydaveh,

Here is a quote from PC Guide on how NTFS allocates space for MFT files. It explains why they may not all be located together:

"If a file is small enough that all of its attributes can fit within the MFT record for the file, it is stored entirely within the MFT. Whether this happens or not depends largely on the size of the MFT records used on the volume. If the file is too large for all of the attributes to fit in the MFT, NTFS begins a series of "expansions" that move attributes out of the MFT and and make them non-resident. The sequence of steps taken is something like this:

1. First, NTFS will attempt to store the entire file in the MFT entry, if possible. This will generally happen only for rather small files. If the file is too large to fit in the MFT record, the data attribute is made non-resident. The entry for the data attribute in the MFT contains pointers to data runs (also called extents) which are blocks of data stored in contiguous sections of the volume, outside the MFT. The file may become so large that there isn't even room in the MFT record for the list of pointers in the data attribute. If this happens, the list of data attribute pointers is itself made non-resident. Such a file will have no data attribute in its main MFT record; instead, a pointer is placed in the main MFT record to a second MFT record that contains the data attribute's list of pointers to data runs.
  2. NTFS will continue to extend this flexible structure if very large files are created. It can create multiple non-resident MFT records if needed to store a great number of pointers to different data runs. Obviously, the larger the file, the more complex the file storage structure becomes."

samr.

How much free space on your disk?

The reason I ask is because there has to be ample room (15% at least)

for the defragmentation to work properly, in other words there has to be room for an extension of the Master File Table

Cheers

I admitt I get so used to just clicking the buttons that I really have not watched this before...but I do know that the MFT now is split up into quite a few places...Im pretty sure diskeeper and auslogics didnt do that

anyway...how do I get it back together...or do I even need to worry about it?

Thanks

Hey thanks for the replies...

samr...wow!...I was under the impression that the MFT was "only" pointers to the the individual directories which inturn pointed to the files it held.

cleard...I took a quick look at that link you sent...Thanks...whats the chanses that thats a little out dated? With all of the MS updates and SP2 and soon to be 3?

solbjerg...space is not a problem...I have an 80Gb HD with only about 45 on it.

Hi dirtydaveh,

Answering your questions in the first post:

The most important system files to be kept defragmented are MFT.

It is better to keep it defragmented.

You don't have to worry about it, but if you care about the speed, yes.

You can get it back together and keep it contiguous. Try the trial version of PerfectDisk.

When it is in one piece and the MFT expansion zone is allocated, (Trial version PerfectDisk will do that) it will be kept in one piece.

I would advice you to read the posts in Think_about_Defragmentation!!! thread.

Cheers.

FYI.

Sysinternals is bought by Microsoft in july 2006. Nothing is out dated yet there, but PageDefrag does not defragment MFT.

Thanks enoskype(for all the homework assignments!)

I kinda always thought it made sence to put things in a certain order but like I said before...I get so caught up in the point and click stuff...that I just never really paid too much attention to how it worked.Anyway...I have alot more reading to do (as usual) so thanks again to everyone

Archived