IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Help! Boot Time Defrag Keyboard Error

iTEPB

If every one else is like me, they have not replied to your question because they can not figure out what you are asking about?

SD operation should Not be related to the Keyboard operation.

If you are trying to bootup the computer Without a good keyboard connected, Why are you Doing that?

Or am I missing something?

If so, please let me know, since I'm always eager to learn. :-D

Personally I think doing 'Boot-time-defrags' is a bad Idea anyway, but that's just me.

BTW- With W-7 the bootup sequence will complete without a keyboard connected

and with a USB type keyboard it can be connected & detected after bootup, with No problems.

During bootup, when Smart Defrag loads to do a scheduled boot time defrag. The first thing the boot defrag attempts to do is Initialize keyboard. It fails and will not defrag, then continues to boot up windows as normal, where everything works fine (windows that is).

Uninstalled S.D. until final comes out.

During bootup, when Smart Defrag loads to do a scheduled boot time defrag. The first thing the boot defrag attempts to do is Initialize keyboard. It fails and will not defrag, then continues to boot up windows as normal, where everything works fine (windows that is).

Thanks for the explination.

But I still don't understand why you do not have a keyboard connected at boot-up,

Or is there one connected and SD does not see it for some reason? If so, is there something different about your computer or hardware configuration? (such as USB port location, type of keyboard, etc.) Which causes a delay of keyboard activation.

Windows should activate the keyboard before any aftermarket software programs start running. Does it not do that?

No matter what the keyboard problem Is, I suggest you Disable the Boot-time defrag, for Now, and do Manual or Scheduled defrag instead.

(that is done by removing check, on general-Settings page of SD, that Loads SD at Windows Start-up, and assure there is an orange colored NO in Boot-time-defrag column, for all drives)

Hi itepb

Are you using a laptop - and do you have it plugged in?

Cheers

solbjerg

Boot Time Defrag Keyboard Error Solution

Sounds to me like your system is trying to find a keyboard at POST and does not see one in the PS/2 port so assumes something is wrong and so does not allow the Boot Time Defrag, then it continues to load Windows, sees the USB keyboard and goes ahead and starts up. Basically, it tries to run the boot time defrag before it loads the USB drivers.

As to why that matters, it shouldn't but there's probably a BIOS setting that has a "Halt On All Errors" for POSTing or something like that (BIOS is basically requiring a keyborad connected to the PS/2 port).

You could try hunting through your BIOS for this setting, or a temporary "fix" would be to install a PS/2 keyboard in the appropriate keyboard port and see if it will then allow the boot-time defrag.

< Links & advertising deleted > by wozofoz

Advertising links are not allowed, Banning offence.

THanks for the input, but.....

Gee wiz Bill, you have come to this forum and tried to also advertise shareware Defrag software. That's a bit rude don't you think?

From what I've read it's a good product and has been mentioned on this forum before but never in a blatant advertising way like you did

I just ran into this error after updating to 2.0. It is not a BIOS error or related to POST. The part of SD boot defrag that prompts to press esc to cancel is replaced with the unable to initialize keyboard, exiting error.

My keyboard is usb (no ps2 ports on this pc) and has always been usable inside BIOS config and other pre-boot Windows programs (including 3rd party such as Avast! pre-boot scan).

On a hunch I unplugged my keyboard from the hub I had it on and plugged it directly into the motherboard. I then rebooted and the error disappeared and SD defragged the appropriate files. There may be other causes, but this worked for me.

I understand the idea of having a keyboard interface for a pre-boot program, but I'd rather do without it until these bugs are worked out, or at least make the keyboard interface optional from within the boot defrag config screen.

On a hunch I unplugged my keyboard from the hub I had it on and plugged it directly into the motherboard. I then rebooted and the error disappeared and SD defragged the appropriate files. There may be other causes, but this worked for me.

Very Strange !

I thought USB hubs were essentially just multiport cable extensions. :shock:

Some hubs must not be direct connections but have some type of isolation circuit?

(probably those that have their own power-cord are the Isolated type)

Thanks for the Info,

The Optional keyboard interface sounds like a Good idea, since Boot-time defrag seems to be there to Stay. ;-)

Hello

Hi everyone!

I'm having the same problem as iTEPB.

I access Smart Defrag 2 from within Windows, select the C partition, click on the Boot Time Defrag tab and click on the "Turn on" option. I then click on the "Configure" link, select the "Only next boot" radio button and click "OK" before rebooting my computer.

If I press F2 during POST I am able to access the BIOS, and if I press F8 after this I am able to access the Windows boot menu with no problems. Regardless of whether or not I try to access these menus, the Windows logo appears briefly followed by a blue screen similar in layout to a disk check.

The screen is the IOBit Boot Time Defrag and states that it is trying to initialise the keyboard with full stop characters appearing like a progress indicator, but after several seconds an error message appears stating that the keyboard initialisation has failed and the defrag is now exiting. Windows then continues to load as normal and the keyboard functions properly allowing me to enter my password to log in.

It would appear that the program is expecting a PS/2 keyboard to be attached and aborts the defrag operation when it fails to detect such a keyboard. I find this behaviour quite baffling given how long USB keyboards have been around, and indeed some computers don't even have PS/2 ports anymore given how dated the technology is. I have only ever used a USB keyboard with this computer and have never had a problem with any other applications (boot time or otherwise) detecting it.

Assuming anyone from IOBit is reading this thread could I ask you to please, please add USB keyboard support to the next version of Smart Defrag? I'm not a programmer, however I assume it isn't too difficult to get Boot Time Defrag to scan for a USB keyboard if it fails to detect a PS/2 one? If BIOS and the Windows Boot menu are able to detect the keyboard before Boot Time Defrag loads, then why should the latter have any problem detecting it?

Regards

shuckie

I have the same Problem with Boot defrag as the others and yes i too am using my keyboard on an usb-hub (in my case my monitor (samsung t240)) wich houses ports for my webcam, keyboard, mouse and tablet.

The devices are initialized however long before boot defrag starts as they are usable in bios already (well the keyboard is at least).

Hopefully the next version of smart defrag will recognize hub devices aswell since i don´t want to break my cable bundles (to avoid a tangled mess) just to boot defrag.

So i can´t say if it would work if i plugged the keyboard directly into the motherboard.

Yes, even though there is an Isolation-circuit inside the Hub/terminals, Windows acknowledges the keyboard.

So, it seems there should be a way for SD to see them also?

Would probably require a system-hardware-search routine though?

Which would complicate and Slow it even More?

It might be better to add a 'Disable keyboard Check' Option, for those using a USB-Hub?

Guest rlocone

Keyboard issue

I too have a keyboard issue. But it's unique to all of the others. I have a logitech k750. It's the new one with the solar panels on it. It connect wirelessly and functions. The boot time defrag probably can't find it when it's in that DOS mode. If that's what you wanna call it. So, I'm gonna assume it's some kind of driver that not loaded in that DOS environment. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

I have a logitech k750.

Doesn't the Reciever for the wireless-keyboard plug into a USB-port in computer?

If so, it would be same problem as other USB keyboards, which are not plugged directly into computer case?

But It is Unique because a wireless can Never be plugged directly into case and it is Always Isolated.

Guest rlocone
Doesn't the Reciever for the wireless-keyboard plug into a USB-port in computer?

If so, it would be same problem as other USB keyboards, which are not plugged directly into computer case?

But It is Unique because a wireless can Never be plugged directly into case and it is Always Isolated.

This is true. I connect mine directly to the machine itself. It runs off of the Unify technology.

• 3 weeks later...

Keyboard issue is a concern.

I use SD on a set of three machines here. Basically they're remote video rendering machines that do some other stuff.

They have no keyboard, as they don't need one. Access to them is done via Input Director from my main edit machine and their attached monitors, or via VNC when running headless.

It is certainly possible to plug in a keyboard and hide it, but there's enough crap around here so I'd prefer not to. A control to allow the disabling of this "Keyboard search" would be very useful.

Robert

Archived