IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Malware List and Malware Programs

Toppack

I recently started a list of all types of Malware and I'm trying to compile a list of which of those the various Security programs scan for.

The ones i'm checking on are:

Viruses

Trojans

Rootkit

Phishing

Worms

Bots

Hijackers

Keyloggers

Spyware

Adware

Rogue

Bootkit (added 7-5-11)

Did I miss any that should be on List? :?:

So far, It's been Difficult to determine exactly which of those malware types the various Programs scan for, on an updated regularly bases,

but It's become very apparent that Many do Not scan for All of them.

If what is posted on their websites are Accurate lists.

Hi Toppack,

Spyware-Malware Removal Help! section has different behavior on purpose, for example no one can reply to you other than Admins, Mods and Malware Fighters here. Please have a look to Welcome to the new IObit Spyware-Malware Removal Help Forum! thread.

So if you wish, I can move this thread to Other Softwares section in Lounge or any other appropriate section of your choice.

Cheers.

EDIT : Thread moved from Spyware-Malware Removal Help! to this section!

I thought I remembered reading something about malware called 'Bootkit'.

so I kept looking until I found this Info.

It appears that it is similar to a Trojan, if not the same,

(just in the 'Master boot record')

so I'm wondering if Bootkit really should be another one in the Trojan group?

Not a separate type of malware.

I suppose it's location is what makes it different?

Edit: Okay, I agree it Needs to be added to my list.

Thanks,

SeeInfo:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/zxue/archive/2011/06/28/prevent-and-fix-bootkit-malware-trojan-win32-popureb-e.aspx

Wow! There are More malware Security-Programs available Now than there are malware types!

I keep finding new ones, to add to list, that I had not heard of before.

But so far I've Only found 4 programs that appear to scan for All the malware types in my list above. But I have many more to check on.

I've decided not to list the Programs here,

(since there are too many Negative comments I would need to make)

but I suggest that everyone do their Own research into this very Important question, before installing Security software.

Of the 18 Security programs I've looked at, only 6 appear to scan for All (or most) of the malware types, in list above. :shock:

(and 2 of those 6 I'm not sure about, on 1 type of malware)

I was really Shocked that So Many programs leave out So Many malware types. :cry:

Luckily we have been using 2 of those 6 on our systems. :grin:

I emailed Tech-Support, of several of the more widely used Security software companies,

in the attempt to get an accurate list of which malware types their's checked for.

So far I've not gotten any replies, but it is the weekend,

so I'll wait until next week before trying 'More Drastic Measures'. :-D

I won't go into details about my findings, after getting replies from some Security software companies.

But I will say that I've determined No one software package covers all the malware types, all the time.

Even Microsoft-Security-Essentials does not check for some of the less serious, but bothersome, malware.

So, I've determined that two different Security programs, running at same time, are definitely needed, to have Fairly Good protection.

I was hopeing to find one Free program that could be depended on to do it All, but have Not found it yet. :sad:

Archived