IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

System Restore Error

Kirk

After running Deep Care and fixing several problems, I've had all kinds of problems running my PC. The Windows Installer Window keeps popping up with the following error message: the feature you are attempting to use is on the CD-ROM Windows XP....

This happens every time I try to access the internet or use Microsoft Office products.

I tried to use System Restore on the Toolbox, but I get the following error:"System Restore is not able to protect your computer" and it asks me to reboot. Rebooting doesn't help. There is a restore point that was created before the changes were made. I'm afraid if I try to fix System Restore I will lose that information.

Did you try the 'Rescue' button at top of main ASC page?

if not, select a 'restore-point' on rescue page and then click 'Undo Changes' button at bottom.

It may have been the Deep-scan Registry-fix utility that caused the problem,

but I don't know which specific setting it could be,

so disable all unknown settings, before running any of the utilities next time.

Your problem sounds very much like how some Virus malware caused problems,

so if you continue to have problems you may need to check on that posibility?

Rescue doesn't appear to solve the problem

I tried this already. After clicking rescue, I selected the rollback date, clicked enter, and instantly received a message, "The backup has been successfully restored." However, the problems with my system don't go away. I still see the Windows Installer box pop up every time I access Windows Explorer or Microsoft Office programs.

Okay, I don't see how any of the ASC utilities could prevent access to those Microsoft programs,

so there must something serious causing it, such as a Virus or maybe Hard-drive failure errors, making the installed programs unreadable?

Over-riding Windows Installer

I can access the Microsoft Office programs if I click cancel repeatedly until the Windows Installer window disappears. So the programs are accessible and they work, but for some reason Windows XP thinks something needs to be installed. I also noticed that the desktop shortcut to Microsoft Word no longer works, so I had to create a new one.

Any XP experts out there?

I am still having major issues with Windows Installer popping up every time I open a window in Explorer. Outlook Express doesn't work at all, and Microsoft Office applications involve cancelling Windows Installer pop-up windows multiple times.

In addition, the helpctr.exe file can't be found, so I don't have access to the Help & Support Center when I click on Start.

And to boot, this is my in-laws' computer! Since they don't trust me anymore on their computer, they are looking to hire someone at $50 an hour to fix the problem. HELP!

I wish I'd never installed IObit Advance Care v4 on their computer!

ASC V4 screws up lots of things under XP. It may be marvellous under Win7 but it is a disaster under XP.

What I had to do to recover my PCs was use the Operating System Restore facility. Uninstall ASC V4. Re-boot the PC pressing the F8 key repeatedly which gives the Safe mode options, select SAFE mode. After logging in there is Option to continue in Safe mode or do System Restore.

Select System Restore and go back to a date before ASCV4 was installed. Eventually XP should come back as it was before V4. Download ASC V3.8 and install.

When all well check on the Scheduler in the system, I had some left-over rubbish in there from HP which needed deleting and then the annoying installer messages stopped.

No System Restore functionality

Alas,

The Windows XP System Restore function was a part of the wreckage. I've been spending the day on the Microsoft Windows website trying to figure out how to fix the registry so that system restore works. Haven't found anything helpful. I did find someone else who had the same problems I'm having (not a user of Advanced System Care) they had to re-install Windows XP and Microsoft Office (and i presume backup all of their documents and pics first). My in-laws are thinking about buying a new computer, since theirs is 8 years old.

Here's the link to the discussion involving others who have had the same problem as I: http://help.lockergnome.com/windows/System-restore-error--ftopict433190.html

This was a post about different problem, but might help

Post by chijsbert to iobit forum

Hurrah!!! The problem has been solved!

I suddenly got the simple (and in hind sight bright) idea to make use of a different registry cleaner and repairer. And it did the job perfectly in just one stroke.

The program I used is Eusing's Free Registry Cleaning and Defragmenting Tool.

It was great to hear the printer come in again after 10 days of helplessness and over 40 lost hours for trial and error solutions that didn't work.

I used Revo Uninstaller Pro to thouroughly remove ASC from my PC. I dont think I'll return to ASC because of their uninterested and client unfriendly behaviour.

Archived