IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Disk Doctor Analysis

Nanito

It already used to happen with v4.0 and earlier versions and goes on with v4.1: Disk Doctor Analysis says "no errors" after running, but when I go looking for details it says, after checking the USN diary, "the MFT bitmap is incorrect" and "the volume bitmap is incorrect". Then I run Windows CHKDSK, which tells (after checking USN diary) something like "Windows didn´t find any problems". In spite of this, I make Disk Doctor run again and again it says both the MFT bitmap and volume bitmap are incorrect. So, Windows says everyhting is OK, but Disk Doctor says (only in the details) that bitmaps are not right.

What's happening here? What does this mean?

So, Windows says everyhting is OK, but Disk Doctor says (only in the details) that bitmaps are not right.

chkdsk is a DOS level utility, Not a Windows level.

The Master-file-table and volume table Are Windows level.

So, must not be a hard-drive problem, but is corrupted OS files problem.

I would try a Windows Repair.

Thanks for your suggestion, which I followed.

Here is the Windows response after conclusion (I'm trying to translate from portuguese):

"Windows Resources Protection didn't find any integrity violation"

What should I do next?

Enoskype:

I did as you said, but the operation didn't go to the end.

When chkdsk/r got to 52% of the drive with 25824201 from 55905423 free clusters processed, the disk activity stopped (and the light went off, no pulsing), so I had to switch off the computer by keeping the switch button down for 5 seconds. Then I restored the system to a earlier restore point, when my AdvancedSystem Care version was v4.0.1.

Still, Disk Doctor keeps saying "volume bitmap is incorrect".

I must say two things: one is that in the past, sometimes, Disk Doctor results was like "AdvancedSystem Care checked the files and didn't find any errors" (looking in the details, with v4.0.1 and earlier versions); the other is that every chkdsk I asked till now to look for and repair damaged drive sectors (in drives C: and D:, "properties", "tools" -- my notebook has 2 hard disks) never concluded, always stopped when at about 50% of each disk.

I'm looking for a solution anyone can give me about this issue.

Thanks in advance!!

Well, this is not good news for your disk. There is something wrong there on the disk where chkdsk /R stops.

As I have thought, there is an error in the Bitmap for the description of that part of your drive.

You can try CCleaner's Wipe Free Space in advanced section or Drive wiper in Tools section (It will take quite alot of time with respect to your disk size.-more than an hour-)

Make sure that "Free Space Only" is chosen in Wipe window in Drive Viper.

After finishing let the HD cool a bit, then try chkdsk /R again.

QUESTION: Are there 2 harddisks as C. and D: in your notebook or 2 partitions as C: and D:

BTW, you don't have to use System Restore if chkdsk /R does not finish. (It should finish though.)

If those don't work, than download and run PerfectDisk 12 Pro (30 days full trial) with 1 time Smart Placement defragmentation and also 1 time Boot-Time defragmentation with pagefile, hibernation file and system files included (Checked).

Cheers.

EDIT: Is there a disk check (full) in the BIOS section of your HP dv9700 pavilion?

Thanks Enoskype

Before I try those programs, I can tell you that I could never perform a chkdsk to the whole disks C: or D: till the end, and I have this computer for two years and three months.

It has two hard disks; one has two partitions (C: with the OS, and E: a recovery partition) and the other disk (D:) is a DATA one, each with about 320 GB. D: always passed checked by Disk Doctor ("AdvancedSystem Care checked file system and didn't find any errors").

And yes, I have already checked both disks with the BIOS twice, both passed.

And I have already checked them with Seatools from Seagate, HDTune and another program (HDD?, I'm not sure about the name) too; always passed with Seatools although after a long time checking once (much more than indicated by the instructions), stopped once in the middle of the disk with HDTune (as in chkdsk/r), and HDD gave a 60% health in one parameter (Spin retry count), every other parameters were ok.

I have "CrystalDiskInfo 3.7.0" installed which is always giving the information the disks are okay. The only SMART parameter that sometimes goes yellow and red, is temperature (for C:), when reaching 56ºC, 57ºC or 58ºC in an environment temperature of 26ºC.

I´ll tell more after checking according to your instructions.

Best regards

Hi Toppack

I thought so too.

Mine is usually between 30°C and 45°C, but have in the past at one time - worst case scenario reached 54°C

Isn't there in BIOS a setting that closes down the computer in case the temperature gets too high? This setting can be manipulated in BIOS I think.

My computer environment temperature-wise is usually around 20°C

I use the Speedfan program to show me the temperatures.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. ° = Alt+0176

If the drive is really around 57.deg C, that is Way High. :shock:

Should not exceed 40.deg., 37.deg in more normal for 3.5" drives.

It could just need to be moved, in case, for better air-flow around it.

OK Nanito, I agree with Toppack and solbjerg, 56°C-58°C of heat could be the problem in your case.

For the notebooks with heating tendancies I have a method of dealing with them when heat generating operations are needed for checking or curing.

Put the laptop so as the screen part is standing on the table facing upwards, and the keyboard is at an angle 90° to the table, turn on a table fan with full speed facing the bottom of the laptop. Leave it as it is during the whole chkdsk /R operation.

You will notice that during the whole heat generating operations, laptop will be cool in those relatively long times.

BTW, SpeedFan 4.44 that solbjerg mentions has a S.M.A.R.T utility which after checking, you can connect to their site to get advice about the current quality of your specific disk. In that way you can check the precision of the value given by HDD for Spin retry count. Also, if your notebook has the necessary censors (I doubt it as the pavilions are produced by subcontractors of HP) , you can adjust the speed and schedule of the fans working in your laptop

Cheers.

Hi Nanito

I had a problem with overheating some years ago, when I used my chessprogram.

I solved it by thoroughly cleaning all my cooler-fans, but I noticed that the problem disappeared when I removed/opened the side of the computer cabinet - I usually use my desktop computer when at home.

Apparently the amount of cooling rose by removing the side-panel of the computer-cabinet. :-)

This gave a clear indication that my problem was temperature related.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. later I also added an extra fan to the cabinet.

OK Nanito, I agree with Toppack and solbjerg, 56°C-58°C of heat could be the problem in your case.

For the notebooks with heating tendancies I have a method of dealing with them when heat generating operations are needed for checking or curing.

Put the laptop so as the screen part is standing on the table facing upwards, and the keyboard is at an angle 90° to the table, turn on a table fan with full speed facing the bottom of the laptop. Leave it as it is during the whole chkdsk /R operation.

You will notice that during the whole heat generating operations, laptop will be cool in those relatively long times.

BTW, SpeedFan 4.44 that solbjerg mentions has a S.M.A.R.T utility which after checking, you can connect to their site to get advice about the current quality of your specific disk. In that way you can check the precision of the value given by HDD for Spin retry count. Also, if your notebook has the necessary censors (I doubt it as the pavilions are produced by subcontractors of HP) , you can adjust the speed and schedule of the fans working in your laptop

Cheers.

Thanks for all the information.

In this case, it is a notebook, so I can't add extra fans, but may be I can get a fan-platform to use under the computer.

I ran Ccleaner Wipe Free Space (Complex 7 passes) for C:, then I ran chkdsk C:/r, and this time it ran throughly (100%), but I couldn't read the whole log at the end, it vanished quickly.

Is there a way to go back to that log?

Afterwards I ran Disk Doctor again, but it keeps saying the bitmap is incorrect just as MFT.

Kind regards

Event viewer

Hi Nanito

You are able to view the logon event in eventvwr.msc written in run.

This run command will open the event viewer and you then just have to doubleclick on Applications - this will open a window where you can see the different events - and then you have to find Win logon - right click on this item and choose properties - you will then be able to study what the chkdsk reports.

The eventviewer command is mentioned in usefull commands in run in the thread Usage of IObit Products.

Perhaps you can also find it (depending on your OS and your setup) by hitting Start/Administation/Log/Applications

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. Regarding you bitmap problem - have you tried the sfc /scannow command in Run?

Hi Solbjerg

I couldn't find the log of that chkdsk, so I deleted all windows applications events and today I ran a new chkdsk C:/f, whose log I found in "wininit"; in this log, what struck me was the fact of having 4KB in damaged sectors of the disk, although, before that part, after checking USN journal it says "Windows checked file system and didn't find any errors".

The questions I have for now are:

-- About damaged sectors, is there anything I can do?

-- Why Disk Doctor keeps saying "bitmap is incorrect"?

-- Is there a way to make partial deletion of event viewer registration (I clicked just one topic, then clicked in "delete registration" and every topic of "application" disappeared)?

-- Is my C: drive in serious condition?

Thanks for your attention

Hi Nanito

My p.s. was written later because the possibility came to mind :-)

The chkdsk /r is a check of the integrity of the disk + an attempt to repair - i.e. bad sectors.

If this is not enough it may be because the data in the bad sector is of vital importance.

The occurance of bad sectors - given that you run the chkdsk utility fx, once a month, will usually keep your harddisk in working condition. But if it doesn't it is in my experience a memento to get a new harddisk at the earliest opportunity.

The very filled up harddisk will be more prone to drop some data in a wrong place - and this can lead to bad blocks - other things can be bad too - pulling the plug during activity on the harddisk is BAD.

If your problem is of vital importance and a formation of the disk and a reinstallation of you OS doesn' do the trick - I think there is no way around a new harddisk.

Remember to back up all files that you do not in any circumstances want to lose.

Cheers

solbjerg

I had forgotten your last question Solbjerg: yes I had ran sfc/scannow before and no integrity violation was found.

Regards

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Solbjerg

Everything seems to be as before about my C: drive.

But now I wan to tell about my D: drive: I ran "Ccleaner" "Wipe free space only"; it took about 8 or 9 hours (one all night included) to complete and then I ran CHKDSK D: (looking for and trying to fix damaged sectors). I was not expecting what happened: it didn´t go to the end, as before; it stopped at about 36% of the disk, in the free clusters.

As I said before, my D: drive was never caught in fault by "Disk Doctor" or else, so I expected to get a through "CHKDSK" examination with a good mention at the end.

What does this suggest you?

P.S.: I read again the whole thread; what's the meaning of the p.s. of post 12 (º = Alt + 0176)?

Regards

Archived