IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

After quarantine, my computer won't logon

Lena

Iobit found and quarantined 2 files yesterday. When I restarted my computer, it showed the desktop picture, then went immediately to the logon screen. I have never had to logon before. When I click my name to logon, it says it is saving my settings, I hear the shutdown sound, then it goes right back to logon. I have tried booting in all versions of safe mode, and booting with last known configuration that worked. It does the same thing no matter how I boot. Can anyone tell me what to do? I have no email since I don't have web-based email and no phone due to having Skype as my phone, so I could really use help. Thank you.

Hi Lena,

We are very sorry for the trouble caused by this false positive. Please accept our sincerest apologies.

This is how to fix this issue:

1) Insert the original Windows XP CD and reboot the computer (you may need to configure your computer to boot from the CD-ROM drive).

2) When the Windows XP Setup has started, press “Start from CD”

3) Then press "R" to repair the Windows XP installation using the “Recovery Console".

3) Select the Windows installation to repair (generally this is c:\windows) by typing its number (usually number 1) and then pressing ENTER.

4) Type the Administrator password (usually leave blank) and press ENTER.

5) Then type the following commands:

D: [press ENTER]

CD I386 [press ENTER]

EXPAND USERINIT.EX_ C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 [press ENTER]

+++++++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++++++++

NOTE: If your CD-ROM drive has a different from the letter “ d “, please assign the correct letter to it. Eg: enter "x:" instead (where X is the appropriate drive letter). If you don't know the name of the drive, type " map " and it will show you your drive number.

After entering "EXPAND USERINIT.EX_ C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32" you should see the text "1 file(s) copied", in which case all went well.

Remove the Windows XP CD, type "EXIT" and press ENTER to restart your computer. You should then be able to log on to Windows as normally.

I don't have the XP CD

Cicely, thank you so much. The only thing is, I don't have an XP CD. Can I use someone else's CD or will that fail due to a different registration number? If I have to buy a new XP CD, would instructions be the same, and would a different CD wipe out the files, photos, etc. that I have on my computer?

Archived