IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Trusted the Userinit.exe FP - Now stuck in Logon Loop!

A few days ago, after installing the most recent Windows Updates I scanned my laptop with Advanced System Care. There were 3 items in the malware scan. They all had to do with userinit.exe. I trusted that ASC knew what it was talking about and chose the "repair now" option. It warned me that the computer needed those files and that they would not be deleted. I shrugged it off and went about my business, using the laptop for the rest of the night and shut it down before bed.

When I tried to use it the next day it was completely screwed. Most times I can't but when I do get past the logon screen, it shows my empty desktop with no taskbar. No fans are running, absolutely nothing is happening. Other times, I get to the logon screen, sign in, it makes the "signing in noise", waits a few seconds, then makes the "signing out noise" and starts saving settings like I'm logging out and I never even see the desktop.

I started looking into the problem with my other computer, and found a previous thread on these forums - "userinit.exe - is it FP? [sOLVED by db 1062]". Well, good for that guy that his computer still works!

I can't log in with any of the safe mode options, I can't restore to last good configuration, I don't have a restore disc. It's a good thing I have another computer to contact you with!

What happens now? Has my laptop been murdered by ASC?

Hi justan0therstatistic,

IObit support staff should really help you with this. I think you need to contact them via their support email. Not sure what that is, I'm just a forum guy here.

Basically though, IMF seems to have deleted userinit.exe

This means you can no longer boot into any session.

The fix : you need to somehow replace userinit.exe with a copy from a system identical to yours. By identical I mean the same system (XP, Vista, W7...) with the same level of updates including Service Packs. Same language, too.

Catch 22 : you need to do this from a bootable environment. Something like a Live CD (or DVD or USB stick). You have options, such as Windows based Live CDs or Linux based ones.

"Support" should be able to provide a way for you to do this.

Your system isn't toast. It just needs userinit back.

Good luck !

Hi guys,

The solution is in THIS post by Cicely .

I have saved an XP with same problem applying that solution route today.

It doesn't have to be the original installation CD, but the same language of same OS.

You may also have userinit.ex_ in your I386 directory.

Note: Sometimes, for this solution service packs are not important.

Cheers.

Thanks to everyone who has tried to help with this issue.

I've torn through this whole house searching for that disc to no avail. All of my techy friends scoffed at the fact that we still used XP on our laptop and I can't find anyone who has an XP recovery disc. I'm pretty upset but the man of the house is FURIOUS at IObit and myself for not knowing better and allowing this to happen. :-(

Please tell me there's something that can be done that doesn't require us spending our own money to repair a computer that was broken by the same software we trusted to keep it safe.

If I were to try copying files and making a disc from our desktop running Windows 7 would it work with XP? If so, what files would I need and how would I install them? Luckily we have an external HD to store most of our important files, so losing data isn't that much of a biggie. We just want our laptop back!

(I'm sorry if this sounds at all like I'm being tempermental, I really do appreciate your help. I'm just so frustrated and it doesn't help with him yelling at me about it. Just be glad you don't have to listen to him!)

Dear justan0therstatistic,

There are two ways to solve the problem with a Win7 CD.

If you would like to keep the WinXP system, please follow steps below:

1)Insert the Win7 CD and run it.

2)Choose Custom and choose another disk to install the Win7 system.

3)After the Win7 system is installed, please go to the disk which you installed the WinXP system on(If your WinXP system is installed on C drive, please go to C:\WINDOWS\system32).

4)Download the attached file and extract it. Then paste the userinit.exe into C:\WINDOWS\system32.

5)Restart your computer and then you could choose to log into WinXP system normally.

If you would like to update the WinXP system to Win7, please follow steps below:

1)Insert the Win7 CD and run it.

2)Choose Update to update your WinXP system to Win7.

userinit.rar

Hi Cicely,

The 3rd option could be using Recovery Console of XP from a USB stick if there is an option for USB booting in the BIOS of the laptop.

The instructions could follow if the USB Boot option is available for justan0therstatistics.

4th option is to burn Recovery Console of XP to CD in Windows 7 and use it for XP laptop Boot.

Cheers.

Okay.. So I tried using the Windows 7 recovery disc from our desktop but the laptop wouldn't read it. Something about the disc being 64-Bit..

The laptop is an old Dell Inspiron B130 with Windows XP Home Edition. Not sure about the Service Pack, but if it helps, we've installed every update recommended by Windows to date (well, up to about a week ago, anyway).

Hi justan0therstatistic,

I have a possible solution for you, considering your situation :

From your Windows 7 machine, please download the OTLPE.net file from this link :

http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/OTLPENet.exe

- I hope you have a CD or DVD burner on your machine. If so, please insert a blank disk (CD or DVD) into the drive. If you don't have this, don't proceed with the next steps and let me know. Oh and if the Dell doesn't have a DVD drive, you'll need to use a CD for sure.

- With a blank CD or DVD ready, double-click on OTLPENet.exe

This will create a bootable disk you can use on the unbootable XP machine.

- Power up the XP machine and put the OTLPE disk into the drive. Restart the machine so that it will boot from this disk. If it doesn't boot with it, let me know and we'll look at your BIOS settings for boot order.

- If it does boot with the disk, you'll see a REATOGO-X-PE Desktop. This is what you want. From there, you can copy the userinit.exe file provided above by Cicely to a USB stick (download from your Win7 machine), connect the stick on the XP machine, then copy it over to :

C:\WINDOWS\system32

- Once done, shut down the REATOGO system and restart the XP computer.

If you have questions along the way, just ask.

Good luck :wink:

I forgot one thing : the userinit.exe file provided by Cicely is in a .rar archive, so you'll need to extract it from that archive before you can copy it over.

If you don't have a program to extract .rar files, then you'll need to download a trial version of WinRar (on your Win7 machine) :

http://www.rarlab.com/rar/winrar-x64-401am.exe

(this is a 64 bit version)

Install WinRar, then right-click on the "userinit.rar" file and choose "Extract here". You'll now see userinit.exe has been extracted. Copy it over to a USB stick as explained in my previous message.

Thanks so much for that advice and detailed instruction, So Sad. For some reason though, there was an error during the ImgBurn:

I/O Error!

Device: [2:0:0] HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GJ5ONB104 (D:)(SATA)

ScsiStatus: 0x02

Interpretation: Check Condition

CDB: 2A 00 00 01 8E 40 00 00 20 00

Interpretation: Write (10)- Sectors: 101952-101983

Sense Area: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 2A 00 00 80 30 05 00 00 00 00

Interpretation: Cannot Write Medium- Incompatible Format

So I tried doing it again, running as administrator, and the same thing happened.

Tried putting it in the laptop anyway in hopes that it might still work. It started setup and then this message came up:

Laptop error after disc

File siside.SYS caused an unexpected error (1024) at line 5964 in d:\xpsprtm\base\boot\setup\setup.c.

Here's the ImgBurn Log if it'll help figure out why it wouldn't work:

W 13:35:19 Operating System has been changed!

I 13:35:20 ImgBurn Version 2.5.1.0 started!

I 13:35:20 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Edition (6.1, Build 7601 : Service Pack 1)

I 13:35:20 Total Physical Memory: 6,290,736 KB - Available: 4,372,972 KB

W 13:35:20 Drive I:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 13:35:20 Initialising SPTI...

I 13:35:20 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 13:35:20 -> Drive 1 - Info: DTSOFT BDROM 1.05 (J:) (Unknown (0x0F))

I 13:35:20 -> Drive 2 - Info: HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GH50N B104 (D:) (SATA)

I 13:35:20 Found 1 DVD±RW/RAM and 1 BD-ROM!

I 13:35:20 Operation Started!

I 13:35:20 Source File: C:\Users\Tessa\AppData\Local\Temp\7zS75F5.tmp\OTLPE_New_Net.iso

I 13:35:20 Source File Sectors: 223,536 (MODE1/2048)

I 13:35:20 Source File Size: 457,801,728 bytes

I 13:35:20 Source File Volume Identifier: ReatogoPE

I 13:35:20 Source File Application Identifier: PEBUILDER/MKISOFS

I 13:35:20 Source File File System(s): ISO9660 (Bootable)

I 13:35:20 Destination Device: [2:0:0] HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GH50N B104 (D:) (SATA)

I 13:35:20 Destination Media Type: CD-R (Disc ID: 97m26s66f, CMC Magnetics Corp.) (Speeds: 4x, 8x, 16x, 24x, 32x, 40x, 48x)

I 13:35:20 Destination Media Sectors: 359,844

I 13:35:20 Write Mode: CD

I 13:35:20 Write Type: SAO

I 13:35:20 Write Speed: MAX

I 13:35:20 Lock Volume: Yes

I 13:35:20 Test Mode: No

I 13:35:20 OPC: No

I 13:35:20 BURN-Proof: Enabled

I 13:35:20 Write Speed Successfully Set! - Effective: 8,468 KB/s (48x)

I 13:35:21 Filling Buffer... (20 MB)

I 13:35:24 Writing LeadIn...

I 13:35:39 Writing Session 1 of 1... (1 Track, LBA: 0 - 223535)

I 13:35:39 Writing Track 1 of 1... (MODE1/2048, LBA: 0 - 223535)

W 13:37:43 Failed to Write Sectors 101952 - 101983 - Reason: No Seek Complete

W 13:37:43 Retrying (1 of 20)...

W 13:37:43 Retry Failed - Reason: Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format

W 13:37:43 Retrying (2 of 20)...

W 13:37:43 Retrying (3 of 20)...

W 13:37:43 Retrying (4 of 20)...

W 13:37:43 Retrying (5 of 20)...

W 13:37:43 Retrying (6 of 20)...

W 13:37:43 Retrying (7 of 20)...

W 13:37:43 Retrying (8 of 20)...

W 13:37:43 Retrying (9 of 20)...

W 13:37:43 Retrying (10 of 20)...

W 13:37:43 Retrying (11 of 20)...

W 13:37:43 Retrying (12 of 20)...

W 13:37:43 Retrying (13 of 20)...

W 13:37:43 Retrying (14 of 20)...

W 13:37:43 Retrying (15 of 20)...

W 13:37:43 Retrying (16 of 20)...

W 13:37:43 Retrying (17 of 20)...

W 13:37:43 Retrying (18 of 20)...

W 13:37:43 Retrying (19 of 20)...

W 13:37:43 Retrying (20 of 20)...

W 13:37:46 Retrying (21)...

W 13:37:46 Retry Failed - Reason: Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format

W 13:37:54 Retrying (22)...

W 13:37:54 Retry Failed - Reason: Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format

E 13:37:58 Failed to Write Sectors 101952 - 101983 - Reason: No Seek Complete

I 13:37:59 Synchronising Cache...

E 13:38:34 Failed to Write Image!

I 13:38:34 Exporting Graph Data...

I 13:38:34 Graph Data File: C:\Users\Tessa\AppData\Local\Temp\7zS75F5.tmp\Graph Data Files\HL-DT-ST_DVD+-RW_GH50N_B104_SATURDAY-SEPTEMBER-24-2011_1-35_PM_97m26s66f_MAX.ibg

I 13:38:34 Export Successfully Completed!

E 13:38:34 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:03:14

I 13:38:34 Average Write Rate: 1,466 KB/s (9.8x) - Maximum Write Rate: 4,769 KB/s (31.8x)

I look forward to hearing back from you about this. That was the first time the laptop did anything besides show me the logon screen!

Just read through the log (even though I'm not too literate about this stuff) and noticed

I 13:35:20 Total Physical Memory: 6,290,736 KB - Available: 4,372,972 KB

Did the disc just not have enough space?

When I was trying to boot the disc on the laptop, it gave the impression that it does take DVDs. Should I go get some and see if that works?

Hi :-)

Ok, I haven't seen errors like those before when trying to create an OTLPE disk.

Two suggestions :

1) Delete the OTLPENet.exe file you have and download it again. Sometimes the download is corrupt or incomplete so burning it to disk is impossible.

2) I think the Dell has a DVD drive as well, because I remember you tried to run the Windows 7 disk and got that error about 64 bit ; the Win7 disk is a DVD and a CD-only drive would not have read it at all.

So yes, try to burn the new download onto a blank DVD disk.

Just make sure you're using the DVD burner on the Win7 machine, not the Blue Ray drive (you have both).

By the way, the "Physical Memory" thing is fine. You have lots of memory.

Let me know how it went.

A quick note :

If you haven't deleted your copy of OTLPENet.exe yet, then don't because it's probably OK.

I did a test here with my own Win7 machine and got a successful burn on the first attempt. Then I compared your ImgBurn log with mine and then I went searching. Two possibilities that I see :

1) Your DVD burner (it's an LG unit made for Dell) couldn't burn to the type/brand of CD you had inserted.

2) Your LG unit needs a firmware upgrade. But this one is unlikely because your firmware appears to be the latest from Dell.

So, I definitely think you should try again with a blank DVD. If that doesn't work, then I suggest you try from another computer (family, friend, etc...) to burn the DVD you need.

This is where it went wrong in that log of yours :

I 13:35:39 Writing Track 1 of 1... (MODE1/2048, LBA: 0 - 223535)

W 13:37:43 Failed to Write Sectors 101952 - 101983 - Reason: No Seek Complete

W 13:37:43 Retrying (1 of 20)...

W 13:37:43 Retrying (2 of 20)...

Good luck..

Trying to cover all bases, so I found a third possibility for the burn failure.

It could simply be that the version of ImgBurn contained in the package is too old for your DVD burner, which seems very recent. That could very well explain the errors.

With that said, you could try :

- Burning onto DVD as suggested before.

- If above fails, then you could try burning the .iso file manually with a newer version of ImgBurn or another software capable of burning image/.iso files (if you have Nero, for instance...).

Now here's the fun part if you want to burn the .iso file manually. You can't see the file, but you can "extract it" with WinRar (or another quality compression utility). With WinRar installed, simply right-click on the OTLPENet.exe file and choose the "Extract files..." option from the drop-down menu ; this will extract all files and put them in a folder named OTLPENet in the same location as your OTLPENet.exe file. Open that folder and you'll see "OTLPE_New_Net.iso"

That is the image file you want to burn on a blank DVD.

Newest version of ImgBurn can be found here :

http://www.majorgeeks.com/ImgBurn_d4870.html

(just be careful when installing this freeware that you don't accept installation of toolbars/search bars or any other third party applications).

Or this one is pretty good and free also :

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/W7.htm

(choose the 64 bit version)

If you do this manually, you simply need to first extract the .iso file from the OTLPE package as explained above, then burn this image (OTLPE_New_Net.iso) file onto a blank DVD using either the latest ImgBurn or ISO Recorder.

Once done successfully, you can insert this DVD into the sick machine and try to boot with it.

===

!!!!!!!!! SUCCESS !!!!!!!!!

So Sad, you are my hero!

Here's how it went down:

I tried burning Reatogo to a DVD and everything went well, burned fine, no errors, finalized.

Put it in the laptop and it wouldn't read... :(

Didn't want to go out and buy more discs.

Figured since the CDs I had have always worked with my desktop that it was the program that was being picky.

Went into the ImgBurn settings to fiddle around and see if I could trick it into liking the discs I had.

Under the "Write" tab, unchecked "Prefer Format with Full Certification," Prefer Format Without Space Areas," and "Prefer Properly Formatted Discs." Then changed "Prefer Format Size" to minimum.

Tried again and it worked like a charm without needing to download the other versions of ImgBurn!

I couldn't begin tell you how elated I was to see that Reatogo desktop show up on the laptop! Userinit is back and my man finally put away his torch and pitchfork!

We'll continue to use ASC and IMF, as they've saved our butts so many times in the past. But we'll definitely be second guessing and researching everything from now on!

Thanks so much to everyone that has contributed to fixing this issue. After more than a week of running in circles, I'm very happy to finally say... CASE SOLVED! :mrgreen:

I don't know if you had any help to do this or did it all on your own, but I gotta say... bravo ! :mrgreen:

Well done, especially the tinkering around with ImgBurn settings which I didn't know could even work.

Just know that a bootable environment like Reatogo is something you need to handle with great care, because you can cause major havoc on a machine as all Windows protections are OFF and you can delete anything at will, system files included. Great tool though 8:)

Enjoy the XP machine. Hope the pitchfork stays put :wink:

Salutations !

Archived