IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

DivX Codecs

Ted

Hi, All,

My Sony TV will only recognise DivX or Xvid encoded video clips I've burnt onto a DVD. The DivX codec I'm using is version 6.8.5 which works perfectly. However, I'd like to keep up with the times and upgrade to the latest version, so I downloaded and installed the latest version of DivX Plus, ( codec only) but then found it listed the codec as having a 15 day trial. I immediately did a System Restore. What is the best way to find the latest codec as most of the listings on Google say Free Download, but they're not Freeware. I know Xvid is always free, but I'd prefer to use DivX.

Hi there, enoskype,

Thank you for that. Actually, although the site says the codec is free, the attachment shows the codec as a 15 day trial or am I missing something?

I only asked for the codec to be installed, but the attachment shows otherwise.

There are 2 versions of the DivX Codec for Windows :

- DivX Pro Codec, part of the DivX Pro for Windows package ($19.99 USD)

- DivX Community Codec, part of the DivX for Windows download (free and has a 15-day trial of the DivX Pro Codec)

Do you have to have DivX Pro Codec?

Cheers.

Hi, enoskype,

No, I don't want the DivX Pro codec. I followed the installation prompts and there was no mention of the Pro codec. What did I do wrong and how can I correct it? Many thanks for your patience.

Hi! is 7.o community codec the one you are looking for? (I too prefer divx for video)

If it is you can find it here: http://www.brothersoft.com/divx-download-43453.html

Click on the official download just below the google chrome advertisement.

If its not the 7.0 codec, I'm curious as to which one you would be looking for.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper

Hi, Melvin,

Thank you for your reply.

I get the same downloaded DivX installation file every time. This one included. Actually, I have been using version 6.8.5 and was very happy with it, but I just thought I'd Update. If it aint broke, don't fix it as the saying goes. What version are you using?

Hi Ted!

I am using the latest version of Divx (8.1 something or another). I have kept it updated for the last two years. I have never paid for a pro license. I have uninstalled it a couple of times and clean installed it in this period of time. I never had a reason to look into the software as it was always free and never presented a pro version for me to buy.

But after your post I looked into my software and found the exact same gui with the exact same 15 day notification (trial)

I have been using this exact installed software as is, for more than 15 days. (about 60 I think)

So I uninstalled and reinstalled and came to the very same GUI again. Same 15 days.

Don't know what thats about... its still free and still works.

Maybe we should both pay a visit to the divx forum!

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Hi, Mel,

I discovered that the DivX forum site was off yesterday too and unfortunately I don't have the old DivX setup file. Using GSpot, I opened an old file I'd rendered with DivX and then one I did yesterday with the new codec and both are exactly the same. The Major Geeks page says that the DivX community codec is included with the package along with the Pro codec, so perhaps it reverts to the community codec after the 15 day trial? According to my VideoStudio Template Manager my codec version is: 6.9.2.

Hello Ted,

My codec is 6.9.2 as well. My DivX plus converter is 8.0.1 Today the software reports that I still have 15 days remaining on my trial, same as yesterday. Maybe its like the sign hanging in the restaurant that says free steak tomorrow. When you come back the next day, the sign still says the steak is free tomorrow. (Only reversed its free steak every day in this case, and your trial will always expire in 15 days, no matter what day you look at the notification.)

If I ever had a pro version I was not aware of it. If it changed from pro to free version, I did not notice it. The software has always performed exactly the same for me! I just watched some video on it a few minutes ago!

Sincerely

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

I see!

Hi Coliv aja!

I see that you are correct about the expiration on the converter! I have never had a need to use the converter so I had never opened it. It does indicate my trial on the converter will soon expire and I must soon purchase.

Thank you,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

But it still always says I have 15 days remaining in my pro version! I have had this version for a couple of months now!

Hi, Mel,

When I installed the DivX package I checked the Codec box only, so as far as I know nothing else was installed, yet as you can see from one of my earlier posts the DivX converter, the Mpeg-2/DVD Plug in and the DFX Audio Enhancer are also shown as being on trial. Strange, eh?

Hi, coliv_aja,

I am using this codec to render movie clips in VideoStudio Pro X2 so maybe after 15 days I may have to revert to an older codec or change to Xvid. I have found that rendering with Xvid creates a larger file as it uses a higher bitrate than DivX and WMP won't play it, although VideoLAN will. WMP will play files I've converted with Oxelon using the Xvid codec. Strange.

Clock is ticking!

I see now that my time is running down on the divx converter. Evidently the trial starts counting down after you launch the application in this case. As I had not launched until looking at this, my trial had not initiated. Screenshot attached!

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Archived