IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Hello Everybody!

Melvin_Deal

Did you know that Cnet has changed their website to include a Cnet installer that appears to actually deliver a modified virus to your system when you download the software using it??????? :twisted::-x:-(

Go to the cnet forum... punch in cnet installer in the search box at the top right and read away!!!

The only software that appears to currently catch it is Eset. This has been going on for awhile and Cnet seems to be not answering questions about it directly... stating instead that you don't have to use their installer and that they still provide the direct links for download!

If it were a false positive with Eset... they surely would have addressed it by now and haven't!

Why do you need to download an installer when you are providing the links?????:shock:

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

P.S. Here is a Quote from a Cnet employee off their forum:

re: Win32/InstallCore.D + Win32/OpenCandy

by CNET_Gregg CNET staff - 11/10/11 1:58 PM

In Reply to: Win32/InstallCore.D + Win32/OpenCandy by bailey2000

Hello bailey2000,

Thank you for your feedback.

When you initiate the download,you will encounter a single offer for additional 3rd-party software, which is clearly disclosed and provides the option to accept or decline the offer before proceeding with the download. We only show offers for software that is approved for

listing on CNET Download.com. If you do not wish to use the CNET Installer, we provide a link to the direct HTTP download URL below the main "Download Now" button on the products "detail page" on Download.com. You can access this page by clicking on the product name on your "My Software" page. You will need to be logged in as a CNET member to use this link.

Regards,

Gregg

CNET Technical Support

I have not supplied the whole thread as a link. If you wish to see this particular thread, copy and paste this-> .cnet.com/7723-21574_102-546820/win32-installcore-d-win32-opencandy/

Then type in the word forums (with no spaces afterwards) at the beginning, then go.

-Mel

cnet installer

yes you are right(they still provide the direct links for download!)

well thats rubbish and the reason I stoped using them ....

this happened 2 time to me...then woke up duhhh...its a scam beam

and instead of a full file that i wanted end up with a 300 od k file .

I was smart Enoch not to click that...and I was more a no you don't, attitude that did not want the file..ridding it found what I wanted on a other link and got the full down load file.as it should be..

thanks for the Ifo mell! now I see why .

Mr Bean

I have looked briefly at Cnet just now and they appear to have removed the Cnet installer recently (at least from the three apps. I tested) <<I am still looking>>

I will continue looking at this. I believe Cnet is going to get out of what was once their core business and become a retailing/marketing tool for hard products as well.

I encourage all who have read this and used Cnet for any download since last July (2011) to run the Eset online scanner... unless they are positive they used the direct link (at that time offered directly below the "download now" button).

You may find Eset here: http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/

-Mel

Archived