IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Version 5.1.10.196 - Very slow

IslandBoy77

Hi All

I've used ASC 5 free ever since it came out. I updated to version 5.1.10.196 today and have found that it runs very slowly compared to the last one - and by slow, I mean excruciatingly slow. What's the deal here? I even switched off my AV to see if that would help - it didn't. :evil: Not happy.

Any thoughts?

Ta

Peter

Hi IslandBoy77!

Welcome to Iobit forum! This is not normal behavior of the program. When you upgraded, did you install the new version over the top of the previous one? If so, I suspect a bad install of the new version. I suggest you try a clean install. Clean install gudelines are here: http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?p=39220#post39220 and here: http://forums.iobit.com/showpost.php?p=42228&postcount=10

Let us know if this solves the issue!:-)

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Thanks for your reply.

I did a full uninstall of the old version first, then a restart, then the install. Since then, I've uninstalled the video card driver and gone back to a much earlier one - this has helped a little. I also went back to the previous version (5.0) - that helped a little more. But still, compared to version 4, both the versions of 5 I have no tried are noticeably slower. Although the PC is not a speed-demon (3.4GHz dual-core Pentium D with 1GB RAM & 128MB Radeon 9200), the computer really only seems slow when running ASC 5.

Thoughts?

Hi Island Boy!

The key action in a clean install is the manual deletion of the program file before reinstallation. Thus it would seem that a clean install is still in order! You must delete the program file before reinstall!

ASC 5 does a whole lot more than ver. 4... please describe what you mean by excruciatingly "slow"... (takes 12 mins. instead of 5 etc.) Also in version 5 you have many more options to tailor the settings so that the software performs only the operations you want! Please review your settings by accessing them under the "more" link at the top right of the main ASC GUI!

Also why did you do this: "Since then, I've uninstalled the video card driver and gone back to a much earlier one"????

What are the symptoms you are experiencing for all your softwares that would lead you to this?

Also... what is your hardware as you do not mention it in your profile?

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Thanks again. I use Revo Uninstaller - it uninstalls everything including program files and registry entries. So yes, the clean install was very clean. I also deleted the iobit folders in Local Settings and Application Data.

By slow, I mean that once ASC opens, screen redraw is noticeably slow, if I open the task manager even just having only the task manager open maxes out the CPU, and the scans themselves take over an hour, even if there isn't much found to delete. I've used ASC on a wide variety of PCs over the last couple of months, and this is the only one that has displayed this problem - although I've only tried 5.1 on this PC, not any others.

So its probable that the error is confined to this PC for some odd reason - it certainly isn't the oldest or slowest one I've tried using ASC 5 on. :?:

I am not doubting what you say but want to verify. This is what it looks like in Vista.

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9301&d=1326422195

I had to delete the file after uninstall from within Iobit folder... then ASC created its own folder independant of the Iobit folder containing the others. It is the ASC file within the Iobit folder that should be deleted... at least in Vista.

Sincerely,

-Mel

I gave up in the end. ASC still functions ok overall as a product on other computers that I use / service, but I've decided that it takes far too long to configure it properly to not be intrusive, and it takes me so long to re-write the configuration instructions for my clients, especially for a new install, that I'm just going to go with Glarys.

So as a suggestion, please stop making ASC so Norton-esque. I know there are a lot of "noobs" out there who it is tempting to think need such high degrees of intrusive hand-holding, but I strongly disagree. Maintenance programs like ASC don't need to be running all the time, nor do they need services lurking in the background all the time, nor do they need context menus, 3 x start menu entries (and that 2nd one in the All Programs menu is needlessly duplicated in both All Users and the current user), nor is the "active boost" of sufficient use to be part of ASC. The best version of ASC is probably version 3. I suggest that ASC go back to being a smaller "swiss army knife" rather than trying to be a "jack of all trades, master of none" - like Norton and everyone else. Glarys is a good example of what most people need in terms of a "one stop shop" for basic maintenance.

All the best. :)

Archived