IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

C drive grayed out solid state?

jckinnick

Hi jckinnick

You said your C: drive was greyed out, but the screenshot showed the D: drive.

Is your D: drive a normal harddisk or is it also a Solid State Disk?

Is it empty?

It does say that there is no need to defrag it. Apparently the program hasn't found any fragment in it.

It is generally agreed that SSD drives should not be defragged

In the settings have you ticked that SSD drives should be excluded from defragmenting?

Cheers

solbjerg

What part of the setting do you need to know?

Hi jckinnick

You said your C: drive was greyed out, but the screenshot showed the D: drive.

Is your D: drive a normal harddisk or is it also a Solid State Disk?

Is it empty?

It does say that there is no need to defrag it. Apparently the program hasn't found any fragment in it.

It is generally agreed that SSD drives should not be defragged

In the settings have you ticked that SSD drives should be excluded from defragmenting?

Cheers

solbjerg

C drive is my OS drive and it says on msinfo32 that all my drive are fixed drives.

I dont see anything in the settings that say SSD excluded.

Hi jckinnick

You are right!

That setting were there in previous versions, and I think they should bring it back.

If all your drives are solid state drives I would suggest that you do not defrag them.

How much data do you have on your D: drive?

Cheers

solbjerg

C drive is my OS drive and it says on msinfo32 that all my drive are fixed drives.

I dont see anything in the settings that say SSD excluded.

Hi jckinnick

You are right!

That setting were there in previous versions, and I think they should bring it back.

If all your drives are solid state drives I would suggest that you do not defrag them.

How much data do you have on your D: drive?

Cheers

solbjerg

Fixed drive isn't solid state is it?

Hi jckinnick

No a fixed disk is just an older denomination for a hard disk - fixed as opposed to removable - disk.

In your screenshot drive C: and Y: were shown as SSD drives

The D: drive had no designation

So I wanted to be sure that it wasn't a SSD drive too!

How much free and used space does your D: drive have?

If D: holds some data you ought to be able to defrag it, - if it is empty there is nothing to defrag.

Have you tried a clean install in case the D: drive isn't empty - clean install concept explained in the link in my signature.

Cheers

solbjerg

Fixed drive isn't solid state is it?

Hi jckinnick

No a fixed disk is just an older denomination for a hard disk - fixed as opposed to removable - disk.

In your screenshot drive C: and Y: were shown as SSD drives

The D: drive had no designation

So I wanted to be sure that it wasn't a SSD drive too!

How much free and used space does your D: drive have?

If D: holds some data you ought to be able to defrag it, - if it is empty there is nothing to defrag.

Have you tried a clean install in case the D: drive isn't empty - clean install concept explained in the link in my signature.

Cheers

solbjerg

Ok i just wanted to verify that I didn't in fact have solid state drives. In msinfo it shows all my drives as fixed even D. I am able to defrag everything with smart defrag except C drive.

Hi jckinnick

According to your screenshot your drives C: and Y: are SolidStateDrives

Why is it that you don't know? Haven't you bought the computer yourself?

Did it not come with a manual?

Why don't you answer my questions about the D: drive?

I thought it curious that your screenshot showed the D: drive empty and it was set to show the rapport, so I think a Clean Install would be appropriate.

Cheers

solbjerg

Ok i just wanted to verify that I didn't in fact have solid state drives. In msinfo it shows all my drives as fixed even D. I am able to defrag everything with smart defrag except C drive.

Hi jckinnick

I thought it curious that your screenshot showed the D: drive empty and it was set to show the rapport, so I think a Clean Install would be appropriate.

Cheers

solbjerg

That's why I am confused smart defrag says solid state and my msinfo says otherwise. I don't know what's on my D drive.

Hi jxkinnick

If you click My computer and then right click D: drive and select properties you will see the status of that drive.

Please attach a screenshot of your MsInfo too.

Or you can choose to export the information in msinfo32 to a file (you can open msinfo32 by writing precisely that in Run) - copy the contents and insert it in your post. The export command is under Files in the topline/menu bar.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi jckinnick

Cheers

solbjerg

That's why I am confused smart defrag says solid state and my msinfo says otherwise. I don't know what's on my D drive.

Hi jxkinnick

If you click My computer and then right click D: drive and select properties you will see the status of that drive.

Or you can choose to export the information in msinfo32 to a file (you can open msinfo32 by writing precisely that in Run) - copy the contents and insert it in your post. The export command is under Files in the topline/menu bar.

Cheers

solbjerg

It looks like the stuff for my blu ray player and burner are on the D drive.

Hi Jckinnick

I would like to see a screenshot of the disks instead.

You can move the middle line in the msinfo32 window by grabbing it and pulling it to the left, so that you do not have so much unused space in the picture.

But you seem to have about 70% free space in your C: and D: drives.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi jxkinnick

Cheers

solbjerg

It looks like the stuff for my blu ray player and burner are on the D drive.

Hi Jckinnick

I would like to see a screenshot of the disks instead.

You can move the middle line in the msinfo32 window by grabbing it and pulling it to the left, so that you do not have so much unused space in the picture.

But you seem to have about 70% free space in your C: and D: drives.

Cheers

solbjerg

Oh sorry about that I did the drives instead of the disks.

Ok jckinnick

Is your D: drive a partition drive in the computer.

Have you made it yourself?

What does your manual say about your computer in relation to SSD?

Cheers

solbjerg

I uninstalled using Revo uninstaller and the reinstalled and its still showing solid state.

Here is the screen shot of the disks.

Ok jckinnick

Is your D: drive a partition drive in the computer.

Have you made it yourself?

What does your manual say about your computer in relation to SSD?

Cheers

solbjerg

D drive came installed on the computer. I don't have a manual.

D drive isn't the one im having trouble with its the C drive that is grayed out.

jckinnick, it seems that your 225 GB C: drive is a solid state disk SAMSUNG SSD PM810 2.5" 7.

So it is normal as solbjerg said that it should be greyed out in Smart Defrag, as SDD disks do not need defragmentation like non-SSD disks. (Sort of! ;-))

Cheers.

jckinnick, it seems that your 225 GB C: drive is a solid state disk SAMSUNG SSD PM810 2.5" 7.

So it is normal as solbjerg said that it should be greyed out in Smart Defrag, as SDD disks do not need defragmentation like non-SSD disks. (Sort of! ;-))

Sorry solbjerg, I leave the ground to you. :-D

Cheers.

Ok thanks I didnt see that, but i dont see anything on msinfo page i sent that says

c drive.

Check your attached image in your post #13 ! :-D

It says there under Storage/Drives that your C: drive is ~225GB (SAMSUNG SSD PM810 2.5" 7) (With 3 partions) and D: drive is ~600GB (SAMSUNG HM640JJ) (with 1 partition).

Cheers.

On the right or left?

EDIT: On the right...

Here it is:

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9402&d=1327777839

In the mean time look at your last attached image and compare them together.

Sorry solbjerg, I leave the ground to you. :grin:

Cheers.

I was looking at the other one i posted the disks youre looking at the drives. On the second one i posted it doesnt specify which drive is what though.

jckinnick,

Check the sizes of drives in both images.

Since D: drive is 596.17GB and C: drive is 223.73GB, and on the other hand, SAMSUNG HM640JJ drive is 596.17GB, so D: drive is SAMSUNG HM640JJ.

Although the size is not seen in your first image in post #13 of this thread, only one drive is left and it is SAMSUNG SSD PM810 2.5" 7 and it should be 223.73GB, so SAMSUNG SSD PM810 2.5" 7 is drive C: and C is a solid state drive.

Cheers.

Archived