IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Speed, SATA versus USB ?

Toppack

The other day I made the statement, on this Forum, that a SATA interface is Much faster than a USB-2.0 interface,

which is very True if you are using the Rated (maximum) speed, which calculates to about 12 times faster.

But I've been doing some testing to determine what the practical, real-world, difference is,

and my transfer tests show that the actual is only between 3 to 4 times faster.

(used transfer-rates from one hard-drive to another, with many types and sizes of files, for the test data)

Which is still a big difference but a long way from the Rated-speed. :roll:

I also did SATA versus USB-3.0 tests,

and SATA is only about twice as fast as USB-3.0.

(Of course the transfer-rate data assumes that the rate counter, in W-7, is fairly accurate)

So, for running programs from an External drive, USB-3.0 is definitely the best way to go,

if running SATA or eSATA cables will be difficult for your system configuration.

Personally I recommend using external-drives only for Back-ups and Copies,

not for running programs from.

I found a Great video about USB-3.0 with very interesting information about recent improvements.

(The new speed improvements will allow programs to be run from external drives, with USB-3 interface)

See Link:

Wow, USB-2.0 is 'Obsolete' already! :shock::roll::sad:

Thunderbolt Interface

Has anyone here tried the new Asus Thunderbolt interface system?

Sounds like it will be the Next speed-increase technology for External-drives and other external devices. 8-):grin:

See Video:

The main problem with it is that nearly All your computer hardware will need to be Replaced, even cables.:-(

• 1 month later...

I'm just checking to see if anyone has tried the Asus motherboard with Thunderbolt-interface system yet ? :?:

We plan to get one soon to upgrade our Server,

so we would like to know if anyone has had problems with it? :?:

Note- I have read that there is a minor reliability problem with some of the special cables required,

but that was probably some of the first ones produced?

Another interesting Thunderbolt video,

with Info about Raid configurations:

(Major advantage only in many-drive arrays) :?

I'm starting to wonder if an upgrade, to this system, is Really worth the work and expense? :?

Maybe I'll Wait for AMD's version of it, at a much lower overall cost. ;-) :lol:

Archived