IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Smart Defrag 2 ruined my HP recovery partition?

Rodelu

Smart Defrag 2 compressed some files in my HP recovery partition. I did not know how to stop it from doing that (compressing). My recovery partition does not work anymore.

1) Going forward, how can I stop Smart Defrag from compressing files?

2) Is there a way I can see which files were compressed and decompress them back? I need the recovery partition to work again. Thank you.

SD does Not convert any files to Compressed format, on PCs with Windows OS.

When it says 'Compressing' in the Status column,

that really means Combining fragmented file segments.

If there are already compressed files on the drives, such as back-ups,

then SD by-passes them with no changes.

At least That is what I've been told. ;-)

and it appears that is what it does.:-)

Edit: Are you using some other Backup/Restore program,

(other than the W-7 program)?

I just remembered that the older HP computers came with a HP version of Backup/Restore?

Back in the "Bad ol' Days" when we used tape-drives for back-ups. :lol:

SD does Not convert any files to Compressed format, on PCs with Windows OS.

When it says 'Compressing' in the Status column,

that really means Combining fragmented file segments.

If there are already compressed files on the drives, such as back-ups,

then SD by-passes them with no changes.

At least That is what I've been told. ;-)

and it appears that is what it does.:-)

Edit: Are you using some other Backup/Restore program,

(other than the W-7 program)?

I just remembered that the older HP computers came with a HP version of Backup/Restore?

Back in the "Bad ol' Days" when we used tape-drives for back-ups. :lol:

So compressing is not really compressing :-D It makes sense now that I did not see a way to cancel that! HP still comes with a "backup" option but it is pretty much irrelevant now. I don't know anyone who has a tape backup unit at home. I only store some of my important duplicate files in a separate HD which I keep off-line.

I think they should remove that "compressing" message from Smart Defrag!

Thank you very much for your answer.

Hi Rodelu

Yes I agree that in the defrag context it is a little ill-chosen phrase - because we in computer lingo usually understand compression as zipping.

Defragging on the other hand is more a sorting/ordering of the fragments on the disk according to the parameters chosen, so that they aren't destributed all over the disk in a sort of haphazard way.

So what do you mean when you say that the HP recovery disk is ruined?

That it isn't accessible anymore?

The reason for that should more probably be sought elsewhere, I think.

Cheers

solbjerg

So compressing is not really compressing :-D It makes sense now that I did not see a way to cancel that! HP still comes with a "backup" option but it is pretty much irrelevant now. I don't know anyone who has a tape backup unit at home. I only store some of my important duplicate files in a separate HD which I keep off-line.

I think they should remove that "compressing" message from Smart Defrag!

Thank you very much for your answer.

Thank you Solbjerg - Yes, my HP recovery partition apparently is missing some files. When I try to run one of the utilities in the HP Recovery Manager program group it came back with a message that said something to that effect.

Maybe the fault lies elsewhere - problem is, this happened right after I ran Smart Defrag. It may not be related. Who knows?

Thanks for your answer.

Hi Rodelu

The reason I do not think that problem is related to SmartDefrag is that SD only place related fragments together and then - if chosen - optimize the placement on the disk according to the parameters this function has.

I doesn't delete anything whatsoever. If it did it would really create havoc for millions of people around the world and no one would use it - even though it is free. :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Thank you Solbjerg - Yes, my HP recovery partition apparently is missing some files. When I try to run one of the utilities in the HP Recovery Manager program group it came back with a message that said something to that effect.

Maybe the fault lies elsewhere - problem is, this happened right after I ran Smart Defrag. It may not be related. Who knows?

Thanks for your answer.

Hi Rodelu

Yes I agree that in the defrag context it is a little ill-chosen phrase - because we in computer lingo usually understand compression as zipping.

Defragging on the other hand is more a sorting/ordering of the fragments on the disk according to the parameters chosen, so that they aren't destributed all over the disk in a sort of haphazard way.

Perhaps compacting could be a better word. (Compacting-No space in between.)

Cheers.

Archived