IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Disc Wear out

Hello,

I just started using Iobit Disk Defrag, previously I used Auslogics Disk Defrag but a friend told me about SmartDefrag and I decided to give it a try.

What I would like to know is if Smart Defrag has some sort of disk wear out prevention?

In Auslogics DiskDefrag the hard drives won't be automatically defragmented if a defragmentation has already ocurred in the past 12 hours. Does SmartDefrag have similar technology or it just keeps defraging when the computer is idle?

Hello,

I just started using Iobit Disk Defrag, previously I used Auslogics Disk Defrag but a friend told me about SmartDefrag and I decided to give it a try.

What I would like to know is if Smart Defrag has some sort of disk wear out prevention?

In Auslogics DiskDefrag the hard drives won't be automatically defragmented if a defragmentation has already ocurred in the past 12 hours. Does SmartDefrag have similar technology or it just keeps defraging when the computer is idle?

SD has many options:

.Run it Manually, when Needed

.Auto run at computer Boot-up

.Scheduled Weekly run

.Defrag Only, w/less wear on drive

.Fast Optimize

.Full Optimize

Personally I disable Auto-load and only run it when it's Needed. ;-)

Hi

Additionally I think I should mention that you in the settings can choose to have it defragged when the fragmentation exeeds a personally specified percent.

Time as such doesn't generate fragmention - activity on the disks does though.

Cheers

solbjerg

SD has many options:

.Run it Manually, when Needed

.Auto run at computer Boot-up

.Scheduled Weekly run

.Defrag Only, w/less wear on drive

.Fast Optimize

.Full Optimize

Personally I disable Auto-load and only run it when it's Needed. ;-)

I see, so what you are saying is that if I turn auto defrag on and the fragmentation doesn't exceed a specified amount SmartDefrag won't run. That seems nice :)

Just another thing, let's imagine that smart defrag has already started a defragmenting due to the computer being idle, if a schedule system backup starts during this time using a lot of the disk resources will Smart Defrag halt is process??

let's imagine that smart defrag has already started a defragmenting due to the computer being idle, if a schedule system backup starts during this time using a lot of the disk resources ??

I think the Defrag will be Slowed dramaticly, until system back-ups or updates are complete. :shock:

That's one of the many reasons I never Auto-run 3rd-party, data-changing, utilities. :idea:

Just another thing, let's imagine that smart defrag has already started a defragmenting due to the computer being idle, if a schedule system backup starts during this time using a lot of the disk resources will Smart Defrag halt is process??

Hi MathR, welcome to IObit Forum! :-D

It depends which settings you have chosen.

SD will stop defragmentation if the CPU (Resource) usage by system backup is above the defined value you have set.

Cheers.

It would be nice if an option like "Do not run SD if the following programs are/start running" :)

It appears that I can't change the "Defragment when fragments exceed X %" option. Every time that I exit and reopen the program it always get back to 1%.

http://image.bayimg.com/haadfaaeg.jpg

Yes, I confirm that there is a glitch choosing the % (percentage) of fragmentation to start SD.

It will either stay at %1 or Always Defrag.

Thanks for the heads up MathR.

Your suggestion is a good one, I hope IObit takes it into consideration as I believe that already, the existing structure of SD is capable of doing that.

Cheers.

Archived