IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Fixing DeFrag 2.6

dv8cowboy

The is a 'hang' when Defrag hits 80-85% defragged. Dealing with unmovable blocks. I found myself using Defraggler to move them as Defaggler only takes five minutes to move them (almost all are restore points) and complete before going back to IOBit Defrag and optimizing (full). Seems to work fine.

Therefore reporting a fault with IOBit Defragler. I even tuned off system restore before restarting rescue point to 3% on a 3/4 Terrabyte hard drive.

-Cowboy ;-)

The is a 'hang' when Defrag hits 80-85% defragged.

Exactly what do mean by "hang" ?

Sometime if SD encounters very large files, errors on the drive or if the computer is doing some other scheduled tasks,

SD may appear to be stopped when it is really Not.

(I'm wondering if it encountered Write-errors in those 'Unmovable-blocks'?)

There can be a long delay, depending on what it is doing and the speed of the computer.

How long did you wait to see if it started again?

@Toppack

Mate, I waited until it got past the bottleneck (long time) and it did get past it eventually before finishing the Defrag about five minutes later. I wasn't happy with the results as it left unmovable blocks on the drive that I know are movable. Hense my use of Defraggler to sort it out so I can then go back to IOBit Defraggler and smooth everything over. I reckon IOBit Defraggler has a bug in dealing with those big 'unmovable' restore files...

Any help or advise would help, I've already turned off system restore and then turned back on at 3% (versus the 10% I had it set to before).

-Cowboy

Exactly what do mean by "hang" ?

Sometime if SD encounters very large files, errors on the drive or if the computer is doing some other scheduled tasks,

SD may appear to be stopped when it is really Not.

(I'm wondering if it encountered Write-errors in those 'Unmovable-blocks'?)

There can be a long delay, depending on what it is doing and the speed of the computer.

How long did you wait to see if it started again?

Sorry, I do not have experience with trying to defrag Compressed-(backup) files, so I don't know what would happen with large ones,

since we use External-drives for Compressed file backups and there's no need to defrag compressed files.

The Unmovable Compressed files are stored in a different file-format that normal files, so may confuse SD somewhat, I don't know for sure?

But I would Not try to defrag them, if at all possible.

@Toppack

Okay Toppack,

I'm done with trying to defrag/move svi and backup files.I'll just be happy with having a few black unmovable blocks in IOBit Defrag. Thanks for your help and input! :grin:

-Cowboy

Sorry, I do not have experience with trying to defrag Compressed-(backup) files, so I don't know what would happen with large ones,

since we use External-drives for Compressed file backups and there's no need to defrag compressed files.

The Unmovable Compressed files are stored in a different file-format that normal files, so may confuse SD somewhat, I don't know for sure?

But I would Not try to defrag them, if at all possible.

Archived