IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Observations and Multiple Issues

White Phoenix

I apologize for the long post of multiple thoughts, but I decided it was better to just post once. I can always redo it if there is a complaint. I sent in the suggestions to Feedback, but I have kept them here in case others might be interested.

I also apologize for posting here instead of the general discussion forum, but I cannot post there and no one else has posted there for almost a year.

Observation

Under System Control > Browser you do not have options for Safari, Chrome or Opera.

Suggestions / Requests

There is a really good freeware / donationware file renaming tool that has apparently became abandonware over a year ago. It is really an excellent program with a nice (well, it’s okay) user interface, but there are a few problems yet with it crashing. The program is called Ken Rename. If someone could make something comparable, it would be very useful to me. It just struck me that maybe you could, if you wanted.

It looks as if everything that Ultimate Windows Tweaker does is done by System Control. No not everything. The only reason I am keeping One-Click Windows Cleaner is for the ability of safely moving / renaming folders (especially program folders).

Easy Cleaner is another abandoned freeware. It still finds stuff in its junk file and registry cleaner that ASC doesn’t get. Also, it has a box to specify folders and files to skip. I have not found this functionality in ASC yet. It also has the Add/Remove Files editor. These are the only things I used it for. Besides, the other features I don’t use are available in ASC, if I did decide to use them.

There still is no way to optimize for image editors or drawing programs specifically. These need optimization as much as the games do. Maybe a setting for artists of images and videos? Playing DVDs maybe, as well?

And since I brought up the Game Booster, you know how if you need to re-install the games or install them onto a new system you need to retype the product key? Well, someone invented a way to store and enter these keys automatically. Unfortunately, AutoKey is another abandoned program. Maybe this feature could be included in Game Booster?

Since Windows 7 has issues with its backup system utilities (I found this out after I tried to find out why System Restore wouldn’t work), could you guys include a replacement for System Restore, Backup and Shadow Copy?

I noticed that ASC removes junk files, but doesn’t seem have an option to compress drives / folders, or delete old service packs (I don’t think this will ever be a problem any more) like Windows Disk Cleanup did.

Questions

I have noticed that ASC does not scan for trojans and worms like Spybot, but then it doesn’t scan for viruses like F-Prot either. However, Spybot has a malware protection system that looks like it does the same thing as Malware Removal. Is using Malware Removal redundant or will it and Spybot work together?

I have CPU-Z installed. Do I need this anymore? (http://www.cpuid.com/)

How do I get ASC to not delete specific file histories in Windows 7 such as Notepad? I never found Recent Documents useful, but the Notepad history I do. Unfortunately, these histories keep getting deleted by ASC I am guessing because these fall under “Recent Documents”.

Here are a couple of problems that may or may not be related to using Advanced System Care:

For some reason the Desktop tool bar and a custom toolbar (not a browser toolbar) no longer show up in my Windows taskbar. I*will replace them and then they disappear on the next login / reboot. This only happens for my main user account. The other user account is unaffected. Both accounts have administration privileges. (One is for when I am in a location with no Internet access.)

Today my custom desktop theme quit working. I had it working then eventually Windows turned the aero back on. I turned aero off again today with ASC then I noticed it was no longer using my color scheme. I opened up Personalize, switched back to my theme and deleted the new them Windows created, but nothing changed. I went into Window Color to see if the problem was there. There is a message that “To turn on Windows Aero, select a Windows 7 theme. Some of the colors, fonts, and sizes selected here apply only if you have selected the Windows 7 Basic theme or a High Contrast theme.” Since I don’t want to use aero, I find this message pointless. Windows Help / Troubleshooting is of no use since it only wants to turn aero on. Windows still says that it is using my theme, but it isn’t.

Hi White Phoenix... Welcome to the Iobit forums! (though you had posted once before)

You have posted a great deal of content!;-) Thank you!

There are only a few of your questions I could answer as I am only a moderator here. As you know most all the members here sign up the same as you did and are volunteers including myself. There is a presence of Iobit staff here though... and I will defer and direct your thread to the ones I am certain should address it more completely. I'm glad you posted!:-)

I thought it courteous to acknowledge your post and let you know that it is heeded.:wink:

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

You're welcome!:-)

I have already sent the PM (Private Message). Considering the content of your post... and the planetary locations of the individuals, I am sure you will be patient.

As you have subscribed to the thread, this will be my last post (as update/notification) so as not to be bothersome... not necessary for you to post back... it is done, and I will watch/add when I can.:wink:

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Hi White Phoenix,

Thank you so much for your post.

Regarding your observation, please kindly note that only browsers which have been installed on your computer will be listed in the System Control.

Regarding your suggestions / requests, I have written them down and will forward it to our decision maker for consideration.

Regarding your first question, please note that ASC is not an anti-virus program. So it can not detect and remove virus. We now have ASC Ultimate which has anti-virus feature. You can download it here.

Regarding the issue related to Notepad, please go the Settings window, click Privacy Sweep, uncheck the items you want to keep and then click Apply to see how it works.

Regarding the last issue, I have reported it to our engineers. I will update the information when I receive the reply.

Thanks.

Hi White Phoenix,

Regarding the issue related to custom desktop theme, we are wondering whether you set Turbo Boost to disable Aero Glass effect and you have turned on Turbo Boost when the problem appeared.

If so, please turn off Turbo Boost, and then re-configure it not to disable Aero Glass effect to see how it works.

Here is a screenshot for your reference.

Thanks in advance.

Opera is the only browser aside from IE (which technically was uninstalled) that is installed on my computer. It recognizes that Firefox is not installed and does not state whether the other browsers are installed or not. From that I got the impression that ASC only checks for IE and Firefox. If ASC is supposed to be detecting other browsers for this, it is not detecting Opera. It is detecting Opera for all other functions of ASC though.

I know ASC is not an anti-virus program. I never said it was. I was referring to Malware Removal.

There is no separate setting for Notepad. If there was, I would have checked it.

As it turns out, the desktop theme problem was caused by Windows 7 not changing path and filenames properly in the registry. I*had to go into my theme file and the registry to find and correct the problems.

Thanks for passing along my suggestions/requests.

Hi White Phoenix,

Regarding the issue related to custom desktop theme, we are wondering whether you set Turbo Boost to disable Aero Glass effect and you have turned on Turbo Boost when the problem appeared.

If so, please turn off Turbo Boost, and then re-configure it not to disable Aero Glass effect to see how it works.

Here is a screenshot for your reference.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, I did set Turbo Boost to turn off aero and it worked. I want aero to be turned off. The issue was that aero was successfully turned off, but Windows 7 did not make the changes in the registry to use the basic theme style instead of the aero style. I changed those settings manually and my desktop theme is now using the color scheme correctly.

Archived