IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

smart defrag took all my hdd [Not exactly!!!]

mr.ineedhelp

Hi!

So i ran smart defrag 2 again and its slowing my pc down (after i finished the defrag) and instead of creating more space for me on my hard drive it's decreasing gigabyte by gigabyte while running smart defrag, seriously guys this needs fixing and at least tell me what's taking up all this space so i can remove it!

Regards

A dissapointed Smart Defrag user :cry:

Smart-defrag does Not reduce the amount of free-space on drives, by 10.GB,

if that is what you are asking?

Although I have seen a slight reduction reported, some time, but not always.

Other times it Increases a slight amount.

If your free-space is reducing that much, it would have to be something else causing it?

No, nothing else could have reduced my free space, the only thing im asking for now is how to get my 10gb back, im sorry i thought that smart defrag cleared up space but i did my homework after this incident and figured out it doesnt clear up space, so please tell me how i can get my 10gb back!

Hi mr.ineedhelp, welcome to Iobit Forum! :-D

I see that Toppack has already welcomed you. :razz:

Please attach a screenshot of the map on the main GUI of SD and also screenshots of your setting pages.

Smart Defrag would not reduce the empty space in your disks, but should give you more contiguous free space.

We will see what we can do after seeing your screenshots.

Thank you and cheers.

OK mr.ineedhelp! :-D

GUI= Graphical User Interface (Main interface of the program)

SD=Smart Defrag

map=square used and empty sectors seen on the interface of Smart Defrag.

I can't do anything about your concern if you don't have Smart Defrag in your PC.

So, when you are ready shoot again.

All the best and cheers.

P.S. I have to edit your title of this thread though. :lol:

Hi mr.ineedhelp

We need as much relevant information as possible to understand your "predicament".

All computers are different so it would be nice to know which one you use and it's capacity and OS and the amount of RAM.

You have told us that you use OS Win 7, but not how much used and free space you have. Or what kind of files fill up your computer.

I do not know either if Win 7 runs a Defrag operation automatically with it's own build-in defragmenter or if it automatically saves the report?

I did run a defragmentation with SmartDefrag 2.6 and if I chose to save the report - the amount of data on my harddisk rose with 780 Kb

I use XP, 60 Gb disk about 40% used space and 60% free space

I have deleted that report again - as it was just to check how much space a Defrag operation may use if a report is saved.

I only save the report if I need it for some reason. (in this case just to see how much space it would use.)

The amount used were about 3/4 (per million) divided by 60 of the disc's capacity.

A defragmentation doesn't clean up your disc it only rearranges the data already there to make it easier accessible..

Cheers

solbjerg

No, nothing else could have reduced my free space, the only thing im asking for now is how to get my 10gb back, im sorry i thought that smart defrag cleared up space but i did my homework after this incident and figured out it doesnt clear up space, so please tell me how i can get my 10gb back!

Hi mr.ineedhelp

We need as much relevant information as possible to understand your "predicament".

All computers are different so it would be nice to know which one you use and it's capacity and OS and the amount of RAM.

You have told us that you use OS Win 7, but not how much used and free space you have. Or what kind of files fill up your computer.

I do not know either if Win 7 runs a Defrag operation automatically with it's own build-in defragmenter or if it automatically saves the report?

I did run a defragmentation with SmartDefrag 2.6 and if I chose to save the report - the amount of data on my harddisk rose with 780 Kb

I use XP, 60 Gb disk about 40% used space and 60% free space

I have deleted that report again - as it was just to check how much space a Defrag operation may use if a report is saved.

I only save the report if I need it for some reason. (in this case just to see how much space it would use.)

The amount used were about 3/4 (per million) divided by 60 of the disc's capacity.

A defragmentation doesn't clean up your disc it only rearranges the data already there to make it easier accessible..

Cheers

solbjerg

Kind of files that fill up my computer is games and gameplays of games which i delete when im finished editing.

My OS is W7 and 8GB RAM and I had 527 free space out of 600GB (before defragging).

Auto defrag is turned off in the built in W7 disk defrag.

I don't have the report (i didn't save it) but with each 15-ish minutes (i didnt check the time because i thought it would be temporary) 1GB was used.

I used Fully Optimize and defrag so maybe that would be the problem?

Isn't there at least a way to reverse? I don't really want to use the restore point thing. :cry::cry:

Ohh and before I even ran Smart Defrag it said I had 515/575 GB left on my C Drive (the only drive i have:-)) but that was totally wrong 'cause I went to my computer and C drive had 527/600GB and I think I would trust what Windows tells me;-)

Anyways thanks for any help

Hi mr.ineedhelp

When someone says that they have a harddisk with the size of 600 GB they often mean that the size is actually 600*10^9 bytes

But the kilobytes are based on 2^10 =1024 bytes, the megabytes are based on 2^20 = 1048576 bytes and the gigabytes are based on 2^30 = 1073741824 bytes.

This could somewhat explain the difference in your reported sizes I think.

This means that for 600 GB to be true it should actually hold 644245094400 bytes.

The reported size from IObit then comes the closest to be correct if the reality is that the harddisk is 600*10^9 bytes.

The 2^10 - 2^20 - 2^30 is the most logical computer-wise, while 10^3 - 10^6 - 10^9 is the easiest for the normal human way of calculating - besides it sounds like more when you say 600 instead of 558,79 GB

Cheers

solbjerg

Ohh and before I even ran Smart Defrag it said I had 515/575 GB left on my C Drive (the only drive i have:-)) but that was totally wrong 'cause I went to my computer and C drive had 527/600GB and I think I would trust what Windows tells me;-)

Anyways thanks for any help

Archived