IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

"Immovable Files" defrag question

Zwitterion

As many seem to do at the moment, I seperate my Operating System from my Programs (OS on a a seperate SSD) When selecting Boot time defrag System files are listed on the system drive as an option. When looking at the drive map for the Programs drive there is a large section listed as "Immovable" files.

These files are listed no where in Boot time defrag options.Are these files never dealt with by SD ? I believe that other defrag programs address these files as a boot time option?

hi Zwitterion

First SSD will by default not be defragged by SD

(in my opinion the best course of action)

Secondly the boot time defrag primarily defrags those files that were in use during a normal defrag i.e. necessary files for a fully operational computer in use.

In the report you can see which files it has defragged.

The SD program is apparently not touching the files that are necessary for the computer to work at all, probably finds this action too risky.

If you count the coloured squares and divide the result into the capacity of the harddisk you will find how many MB/GB each square represents,

The colour only tells you that there may be a fragment in the square but it doesn't tell you how large this fragment is. :-)

The size of the fragments that have been defragged are shown in the report though.

Cheers

solbjerg

As many seem to do at the moment, I seperate my Operating System from my Programs (OS on a a seperate SSD) When selecting Boot time defrag System files are listed on the system drive as an option. When looking at the drive map for the Programs drive there is a large section listed as "Immovable" files.

These files are listed no where in Boot time defrag options.Are these files never dealt with by SD ? I believe that other defrag programs address these files as a boot time option?

Hi Zwitterion

You might also check the "Skip Files Larger Than---" setting in Smart Defrag General Settings (see attached screenshot). The choice of file size to skip will influence the amount of immovable files. Additionally, it is not only system files which are immovable. Some programmes/software reserve space and will not allow files to be moved. These will not even be moved during boot defrag. Also in rare instances, defrag will not be able to locate available space on the drive which is sufficient to defragment a file/files and relocate them to a contigious area, in this instance it will see them as immovable.

Archived