IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

How to recover FF history after using ASC v6?

cdclark707

ASC v6 was recommended by a friend, so I decided to try out the free version first. Excellent product. I was impressed by what it did in a very short period of time. (I have Win7)

Unfortunately, I didn't check it out enough to know that it would delete my Firefox history. I tried the various undelete functions within ASC, including going back to an earlier set point. Nothing brought the history back from the dead.

However... I just noticed a folder on my desktop (where downloads are set to go) entitled "Old Firefox Data". No clue how it got there unless it was from ASC undelete. There's a folder in there called "bookmarkbackups" with a lot of .json files with dates in the title (e.g., bookmarks-2012-12-03.json). Since my understanding is that the bookmarks and history live in the same file, I went to FF and clicked on History/Show All History/Import and Backup/Restore/Choose File, chose the bookmarks-2012-12-03.json. It asked for confirmation that I wanted to replace the bookmarks, I said yes, and it didn't do a thing to restore the history.

So... help?

Thank you.

Carol

Thanks, Scannan. I had already read that thread but didn't see anything that would help that I hadn't already tried. Some of the software, btw, doesn't support Win7 or FF.

I found this extension (SQLite Manager 0.7.7) and more info here (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Places.sqlite). I installed the extension in FF, opened the places.sqlite file in SQLite Manager, exported the moz_places folder under Tables to a .csv file. When I opened the file, I could see a lot of URLs but frankly they look more like bookmarks than the history.

Carol

I am sorry that the thread dd not providethe info you needed. I cannot think of anything else as we covered every possibility we could think of there. I will continue to look and if I find something Iwill post it. However, I think the actions you have taken are as good as it gets, also the more work you do on the pc the more riskof the files being overwritten, so your chances of success are reduced.

I advise you to check your ASC settings carefully and set them to suit your needs, in order to avoid similar issues in the future.

old FF data

Hi there 707,

I think you will find that that folder was actually created by Firefox.

If you have ever used the Firefox

Options>help>troubleshooter>revert to previous

thats when this file is created, stores old data profiles.

Roy

Archived