IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Win 7 graphic card problem

blacksea

I have recently upgraded my win XP to win 7 Ultimate. After the installation of win 7 I noticed that it didn't recognize my graphic card. So I downloaded the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and nothing was a problem except that my VGA graphic card was not compatible with windows areo. From there it was obvious that it didn't recognize the graphic card. So I downloaded and installed the driver from the website of the manufacturer. I chose auto detect and install. Then after the reboot I noticed a HUGE impact on the performance of my system. It froze allot and was taking ages to open a program or anything else. So I ran the Upgrade Advisor again to see if it would if it was telling me any different now. This time it recognized my graphic card and said it was compatible and that I was good to go with win 7. But It still freezes allot! Than I opened task manager to see if a process was eating my ram or to see the if there was a high cpu usage. Everything was normal, but than I checked the tab performance and saw that my cpu usage was around 50-70% average and sometimes even 99% continually.

Than I decided to uninstall the driver again and reboot. Then everything was normal again while running from the vga. I have never encountered any problem with my graphic card when I was using XP. Win 7 was updated and also net framework 4 was installed.

So the first problem is, that win 7 is not recognizing my graphic card. Also not from device manager. Second, even after installing the driver I experience a huge sluggish performance of the system.

Windows 7 Ultimate

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+

3.00 GB of ram

Ati Radeon HD 5670 512 mb

I have recently upgraded my win XP to win 7 Ultimate. After the installation of win 7 I noticed that it didn't recognize my graphic card. So I downloaded the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and nothing was a problem except that my VGA graphic card was not compatible with windows areo. From there it was obvious that it didn't recognize the graphic card. So I downloaded and installed the driver from the website of the manufacturer. I chose auto detect and install. Then after the reboot I noticed a HUGE impact on the performance of my system. It froze allot and was taking ages to open a program or anything else. So I ran the Upgrade Advisor again to see if it would if it was telling me any different now. This time it recognized my graphic card and said it was compatible and that I was good to go with win 7. But It still freezes allot! Than I opened task manager to see if a process was eating my ram or to see the if there was a high cpu usage. Everything was normal, but than I checked the tab performance and saw that my cpu usage was around 50-70% average and sometimes even 99% continually.

Than I decided to uninstall the driver again and reboot. Then everything was normal again while running from the vga. I have never encountered any problem with my graphic card when I was using XP. Win 7 was updated and also net framework 4 was installed.

So the first problem is, that win 7 is not recognizing my graphic card. Also not from device manager. Second, even after installing the driver I experience a huge sluggish performance of the system.

Windows 7 Ultimate

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+

3.00 GB of ram

Ati Radeon HD 5670 512 mb

Hi Blacksea... good to see you!:mrgreen:

Did you remove the old driver? Or were they both installed at the same time... hmm... did you look within your Windows settings as well after the updated driver was installed?

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Hi Blacksea... good to see you!:mrgreen:

Did you remove the old driver? Or were they both installed at the same time... hmm... did you look within your Windows settings as well after the updated driver was installed?

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Hi Melvin_deal, happy to see you still active from all the times you have helped me!! Thank you:grin:

Well, I asume after upgrading from XP to win7 the old driver must have been gone. But beyond that, I have installed and then again uninstalled/deleted everything that had to do with ATI. I used IObit uninstaller for the reg and other files to clean all up. After I had updated my graphic card, it was to be found in the device manager. But than I uninstalled it again because of the lag..

Live long and prosper too my friend!

Sincerely,

Blacksea.

Well, I asume after upgrading from XP to win7 the old driver must have been gone. But beyond that, I have installed and then again uninstalled/deleted everything that had to do with ATI. I used IObit uninstaller for the reg and other files to clean all up. After I had updated my graphic card, it was to be found in the device manager. But than I uninstalled it again because of the lag..

Live long and prosper too my friend!

Sincerely,

Blacksea.

The driver is firm within your card I believe (think), what is the ATI card and the manufacturer / model of your machine?

From your User CP...

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11041&d=1355799838

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

The driver is firm within your card I believe (think), what is the ATI card and the manufacturer / model of your machine?

From your User CP...

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11041&d=1355799838

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

This pc wasnt bought from a company. A friend has made this and bought all seperate parts and made this computer for me. But the graphic card is the radeon HD 5670 from ATI/AMD.

The driver is firm within your card I believe (think),

If so how can I find/delete the previous driver?

Blacksea.

Hi Blacksea..

I'm not sure that you can remove the previous driver. I think that what is happening is that the firmware driver is fighting the new driver. So I cannot answer/fix right now.. :-(.

I will however examine a few points on the card to see if I can help further.:grin:

Otherwise just be patient and wait... hopefully one of the others will be more knowledgable.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Well I think I do have to mention that I did not clean the old partition I used with win XP. I just installed the upgrade on a new one. But later I deleted the folder windows.old. I don't know it this could have something to do with it, but because of the lag I tried to delete the windows.old too but with no effect on the slow impact I still had. So now I don't know if deleting windows.old was enough.

Blacksea.

Hi Blacksea,

Was browsing the forum and saw your post. I have used Driver Sweeper for some years now with good success. The current version can be found here:

http://majorgeeks.com/Driver_Fusion_Driver_Sweeper_d6171.html

After running, I would suggest a restart and the reinstall your video card drivers. As with any suggested software, please make sure you read and understand what the program is doing.

Good Luck,

A.T.

Thank you very much Melvin_deal!

Yes that is what I'm thinking of too, because when I wanted to install the driver, I selected the costum install. From there I couldn't uncheck the other things because it stated that the other things like the catalyst control and other things were installed and updated. Only the graphic card itself was not updated. Maybe this could help you understand the issue.

Blacksea.

Hi Blacksea,

Was browsing the forum and saw your post. I have used Driver Sweeper for some years now with good success. The current version can be found here:

http://majorgeeks.com/Driver_Fusion_Driver_Sweeper_d6171.html

After running, I would suggest a restart and the reinstall your video card drivers. As with any suggested software, please make sure you read and understand what the program is doing.

Good Luck,

A.T.

Hi atailor1,

Thank you very much and I will definitaly give it a try tormorrow. It's late and have to sleep now. I will inform you if it helped!

Cheers blacksea.

No succes..

Well no succes.. I tried the driver sweeper and it did uninstall more than the usual uninstall, but there were still some parts which it said that were installed and up to date. Unfortunitaly after the new driver install I experienced the same slow performance again.

Blacksea.

Archived